Need recommendation about processor

sanjoa

Hi, guys! I'm planning to upgrade to an AM3 processor. I'm using an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ and I'd like to know what AM3 processor has the same performance as this. What do you recommend me?

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would you "upgrade" to something that offers no performance bonus? This would be a most peculiar "crossgrade" in fact. You sure this is what you want?

Even if AMD is not king of the hill as it wss with those Athlons vs PIV, they still offer some really nice CPUs. You can buy very cheap Athlon X4, or a Phenom II X3, or if you have some 200$ even a Phenom II X4. There's almost no point in buying a dual core from AMD anymore... 

You can also buy some X2 or X3 and try to unlock it to full quad, but if you care about monitoring the temps, don't go that way, it messes up the thermal diode.

am3 is only supported on phenom II... best choice----buy any of the x3 core, you can also unlock it to x4.

I suggest the Athlon II X2 250 or the Phenom II X2 550, both are somewhat cheap and offer decent performance.

You don't really need X4 but if you can afford it then it might be worth it depending on your usage, just remember that quad-cores most benefit will arise from using multi-threaded tasks (such as encoding).

I don't play harder games (I mean, games that have so many hardware requirements). I only edit audio and sometimes use photoshop

For Photoshop, if you do not apply loads of heavy filters and work with large (very) images a dual core is OK. Depending on your audio editing application, a quad core could represent a very good investment and will speed up your work greatly, you will find it possible to work at higher sample rates and with reduced latency, especially with a proper audio interface. 

When you buy a CPU you look to the future too... you kept the X2 for how many years? Then you should buy this CPU so it will be enough for at least the period until you afford another. 

If you do not have all the money, wait a little longer, save some more, buy a good fast quad so it will age beautifully and not let you down after 6 months. 

AMD will also soon release their new Bulldozer architecture, also Intel will release Sandy Bridge. Might be wise to wait a few months and see what will happen after that.

I can't find that available to buy in Argentina.

You can get a Athlon II x4 620 for a very good price or you can invest some more cash for the Phenom II x4 955 , both are great processors.

Archived