Problem with Nod 32?

csmdew

The ekm.exe service goes to 99% and locks my cpu at 100% which causes puter to slow down. This is the only thing that is drawing any high usage. What would be best solution to fix this problem running windows 7 pro on amd 2+ cpu 5000 black. Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Open ESET window and check what file it is scanning when it reaches 100% usage. On my old computer, it happened so when it updated the virus destinations.

I'll advice you to go to advanced settings and uncheck Advanced Heuristics in every section. I feel normal heuristics would be enough.

Nothing is scanning but most of the time it is runnin above 90% and the rest of the time it just jumps around from 1 to 70%, think maybe the program is corrupted?

• Administrator

By scanning I mean real time scanning. Go to ESET window > Protection Status > Statistics. There you will see the item it's scanning. Take a look and see what file it's scanning the most of the time, that file is your cause of the problem. Also, as I said, disable advanced heuristics in advanced options.

There are also some other ways to track down the cause.. There is also an exclusion list from Microsoft which shows areas that should be excluded from AV's.. I will have to look for the link. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

Personally I think disabling Advanced Heuristics is a bad idea other that troubleshooting certain areas.. but I would not advise turning it off and keeping it off.. UNLESS you have extermely old and low powered hardware.. more than mine even.. Your basically turning your detection rate down and may miss detection of several types of infections..

Mine did repetitive scanning of C:\Windows\System32\umpo.dll and my external drives which included very large files were trying to be scanned as well when I accessed the folders. I also experience small problems due to scheduling of various services on the system as well..

There are several options to hunting it down and it can be in some cases.. an overlap.. in certain areas of ESS.. and EAV both.. Sometimes just needs to be gone through and settings understood more thoroughly and a readjusting of them..

Archived