Malware Defender quetions

elohelomg

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You got me on this one.. I didn't even know where this was.. until you mentioned it being in Malware Defender.. LOL Is it being run as an administrator.. and lockouts of any kind for editing them.. May be a change in the program itself and how it operates or protection for it itself..

You got me on this one.. I didn't even know where this was.. until you mentioned it being in Malware Defender.. LOL Is it being run as an administrator.. and lockouts of any kind for editing them.. May be a change in the program itself and how it operates or protection for it itself..

In the older version, it was possible. I am running as admin. Its starting to piss me off.

Have you checked Malware Defender forums for any references to the issue... and before do you mean with another OS? or version of IE? Have you checked for your permission within the Windows Security Tab to see if you have permissions from Windows.. as well as Users listed with permissions that would allow it.. and Have you received any UAC Notifications to allow or disallow during the process?

Other than that I am lost n this because I haven't used it.. but some of these can interfere with other apps.. Unless you have other settings for IE which are protecting the file from being altered in any way.. I would not know where else to look .. Other than in your Internet Options and Settings.. or any other programs which have anything to do with any sort of hack locking for IE..

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know but I am not reading good thing about it in the search engine... After a hundred lists of 'How to remove it ..' I get articles on how it steals personal information...

Malware defender 2009 is a rogue spyware application from the makers of System Guard 2009 and Spyware Guard 2009/2008. It uses the proven method to gather your credit card details by showing a fake windows security center message stating that your PC is infected with various parasites. Also, you are bombed with various popups and fake alerts that try to convince you to buy Malware Defender 2009. If you try scanning PC with this scamware, it will show fake positives: Most of “infected files” are legitimate and necessary system processes. You whould criple your computer if you follow this rogue advice.

You can get Malware defender 2009 by several ways. The first and most popular one is bundled downloads in file sharing networks and infected websites. Fake video codecs might be used to spread this malware as well. And it comes not alone. You will get an additional trojans and rootkits to help Malware defender destroy your PC and force you to give your Credit card details to its maker. We strongly suggest first scanning the PC with legitimate free spyware scanner to check versions of parasites that have infected the system.

Update:

Malware defender 2009 website, Malwaredefender2009.com is hosted in Ukraine, IP 67.43.237.75, on the same ip as SytemGuard2009.com and SystemGuard2009m.com – websites of notorious parasite SystemGuard. You should block these websites, and add the IP address to untrusted list as well. The website itself is registered under non-existing address, proving once more that Malware Defender2009 Can not be trusted.

Malware Defender 2009 is Extremely dangerous

Then I find an article talking about what it does... or is supposed to do.. BUT NOWHERE do I find any home site and the site that is listed as its homepage doesn't exist... there is no such application.. The only links alive for it actually are hosted elsewhere..

IF it was me.. I would remove this thing and never allow it back in.. and be thorough about it... I have read about countless people here in the forum who have used it... and also assumed it was legitimate software.. especially with articles and reviews.. but this seems to be the monster of them all.. even well documented and backed by blogs and people online.. while in the background this thing is a time bomb.. and scare-ware..

Should be removed regardless and something more reputable to be used... May also be why the system denies it access or control over the PC or IE..

• Administrator

Wiki(ing) Malware Defender will take you to MS Antivirus (malware) also known as Spyware Protect 2009 and Malware Defender 2009. So you are probably right heath. :)

malware defender 2009 and malware defender are 2 different programs. 360security(chinese security company) which i think bought out torchsoft and now the author of maware defender works for that company. Malware Defender is a full blown HIPS with outbound firewall control and malware defender 2009 is a rogue app.

Okay so that would explain the disappearance from the Torchsoft site.. but I am not able to find the 360security Site.. or any link... Not saying your information is incorrect..

Two things bother me..

1. The screenshot above matches the screenshots of the 'Rogue/scare-ware'...

2. Only one search rendered results for a chinese based site .. which is Kingsoft..( which only contains '360' i the name as does three others...

Okay three..

3. Only one site rendered results for keywords.. in Romania... which is printed in two languages and states they do not even have a site yet and it is being constructed..

So.. I have yet to find validation in doubting the above software as being legitimate..

Here is Malware Defender's new homepage only in Chinese- http://labs.360.cn/malwaredefender/index.html

Translated to English- http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Flabs.360.cn%2Fmalwaredefender%2Findex.html&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Malware Defender was just recently bought by a new vendor "Qizhi Software (beijing) Co. Ltd.", they chosen to make Malware Defender an unlimited freeware.

All versions prior to 2.7.0 are commercial trialwares.

Malware Defender is NOT dead a new version has just been released recently.

Qizhi Software (beijing) Co. Ltd (360.cn) is one of the largest security vendors in China, their Anti-Virus products use their own cloud-base protection and the BitDefender engine.

Thanks.:D

Thanks for the links OhMyGod !

It's a good news cause MD is a powerful HIPS and it's not a "dead project" !

++

Archived