Bitlocker/TPM - Windows 7 Manager Extended

HX1

Okay so I was combing over some settings tonight.. in an effort to look for some settings pertaining to my nightmare 7200.10 drive.. and sleepy Seagate Desktop.. ( errrrgghh - now I know why it was on clearance ) and I came across an option in Windows 7 Manager ( Yamicsoft ).. For enabling Bitlocker on systems which do not have TPM Chips.. by using a USB key...which you have to insert each time you boot, like a true hasp key... or dongle for some of you..

Question is have any of you used it.. and how well does it work?

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I have TruCrypt.. but I like the USB Key idea is why I was wondering.... Right now I have all of my hardware and BIOS protected .. and I have one that can lock a system in an account after its all booted.. but I don't have something like this yet.. and was sort of happy to find an option... for protecting the whole system on boot.. Will take a look at those links..

EDIT: Yeah I know I have COFEE too... and DecafMe... not really trying to hide anything from the cops though.. Just trying to keep normal knowledgeable people out and from accessing screwing around with my system.. People can be quite under developed..

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Again me...

I read some stuff about BitLocker.

If you want use it without a TPM chip :

Note

For any scenario that includes using a USB flash drive to provide a BitLocker key (such as a startup key or a recovery key), your BIOS must support reading USB flash drives at startup.

Cheers.

++

Yeah I have been so busy lately I haven't got around to doing this.. I still have file archives to manage.. downloads to complete AND I haven't completed my VM's yet to get back where I was before the EHD problems.. I had..PLUS I had to dismantle and repair the fan inside the PSU on my mom and dad's system.. ( was randomly rebooting fan was hardly turning.. now it maintain a constant 23 C ( 73 F ) and 108 F for the HD's which it has two of now.. for backup and archive file repository.. ) and to straighten out a few other things.. cleaning..

Been busy.. hopefully I will get to this soon.. would be really cool.. I believe my system will put USB device in the boot order.. what I am wondering if it has to be first in that order.. or just in the list.. It will not boot from EHD.. because they aren't not actually USB drives the setup is quite different... but I definitely do not want to put it up and actually have a vulnerability if the Hardware Password was broken.. but technically CMOS would have to be reset at which point the whole BIOS is laid open... which then leaves access to the HD.. which needs to be protected.. but I am unsure about recovery of it in that instance.. either way it may not really be a considerable point of concern.. Plus I have backups which could just as easily ( or hard ) be accessed if they were accessible...

Anyway I think it a good option though in such a scenario... and if its faster than PGP Platform Whole Disk Encryption.. then its good... but I don't want to wait for hours while it decrypts before I can boot...Wish I had a recent version of PGP that worked however...

Hello.

Lol NOP, I'am also very busy these days...

Yes, the final protections are on the physical side (lock the tower with padlock :lol: )

The CMOS resets the BIOS password but not the Bitlocker one. (I think)

I don't think you must wait the "decryption" cause is "on-the-fly", isn't it ??

Cheers.

++

• 1 month later...

this bitlocker thing in windows7 works really good and its very secure..i ve been using it for a year and no problems...one thing that u should make many copies of your bek and hide them secure..all the best

Archived