BIOS Password >

Baldie

A friend of my has a notebook which is protected by a Bios-Password.

He`s lost his mind for a vew days ago, and can`t start his notebook again.

How can he fix this problem?

• Replies 8
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sure he did :P

any ways, i dunno a lot about laptops but if they're anything like desktops there should be a jumper on the MOBO for resetting/disabling the BIOS password. once you get past that tho, the OS is probably passworded too. but that's nothing a quick formatting can't fix :)

JunkInternetMail

You don't need a jump...

Just blind flash the bios as follows:

Copy this string into notepad and save as autoexec.bat

AWDFLASH.exe xxxx.BIN /py /sn /cc /r

Save the autoexec.bat, your flash prog exe and your flash bin file onto a bootable floppy.
Place the floppy into the drive and reboot the PC, it will now perform a BLIND Flash upgrade.

Definitions:

AWDFLASH.exe - rename to whatever your flashing exe file is called.
xxxx.BIN - rename to whatever your BIN file is called.
/Py - stands for answering "yes" (Y) to the request concerning the BIOS reflashing. By default /Py mode is set.
/Sn - stands for answering "no" (N) to the request about saving the previous version of the BIOS. /Sn is recommended to use for *.bat-files in case of automatic BIOS reflashing in systems without a display.
/CC - to clear CMOS after reflashing. This option comes in handy when there is a risk that the data arrays created by new BIOS version in CMOS may differ from those former ones. If so, then you are likely to have troubles with the mainboard startup. Clearing CMOS will let you avoid searching for Clear CMOS jumper on the board, which is really helpful if it isn't accompanied with a proper manual or is simply hard to access.
/R - stands for the system reset after reflashing. It lets you have your computer restarted automatically as soon as you finish updating FlashROM. The option is useful for working through a *.bat-file.

u could if u dont find that jumper (on stationary computers its most near the processor), just take out the battery (the little one on the motherboard not the laptop battery), and if its a pass for WinXP or so just get Hirens boot cd and ull be fine

u could if u dont find that jumper (on stationary computers its most near the processor), just take out the battery (the little one on the motherboard not the laptop battery), and if its a pass for WinXP or so just get Hirens boot cd and ull be fine

Did the battery trick with my motherboard a while back, but apparently Hiren's does more than just windows passwords now. I didn't look into it much, but apparently they have BIOS tools for resetting its password...

...And also, Hiren's users should use Roadstarter instead. It has Hiren's, Damn Small Linux, Windows XPE Live SP2, and two NTLDR repair options (one for more recent windows versions, one for older) all on one disc... Not quite sure how the NTLDR repair stuff repairs it (shows no sign of change), but it does let you force boot into a windows partition (choose between HD 1 or 2, and on those, partitions 1 to 4... editing the config file for the thing could add more options though). That feature's came in handy after a few bumps on dualbooting with Fedora Core 6... :P

Roadstarter huh?

Any links or do I have to use my pro leet haxor googling skills? :P

Well, google could definantly find you it easily, but if you want a well seeded 2.0 roadstarter cd (1.0 has hirens 8.3, 2.0 has hirens 8.7), I would suggest searching the usual places. ;]

Archived