Microsoft has changed the terms of TechNet subscription

jalaffa

Then it's final, Microsoft has changed the terms of Technet subscription. Number of keys available for each product has been reduced. It used to be 10 for each but has been reduced to 2 keys (TechNet Standard) and 5 (TechNet Pro)

Here is a reply from Mike Kinsman:

I'm sorry for the delay in our response here. This first change went through on the website a little bit sooner than the folks who were doing the messaging, and we finally have both nailed down. We will be updating the Subscriptions FAQ shortly to reflect this as well.

As of last Wednesday, the number of keys per product TechNet Standard customers is 2 keys. The new limit for TechNet Professional customesr is 5 keys .

If customers have previously claimed more than 2 or 5 keys for these products, those keys are still visible, and activations performed using these keys will still be valid.

Thanks,

Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support

view.gif View: Source

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Microsoft has now finally come out with official information about the reduction in the number of product keys on TechNet that happened September 15th.

Anti-Piracy Policy Changes

Q. NEW Question: Why weren’t TechNet subscribers notified in advance?

A. Unfortunately, Microsoft was not able to communicate this policy change in advance because it would increase the programs exposure to piracy if it became widely known that key availability would become limited. Having said this, as soon as the change was made we updated the TechNet Subscription user portal messaging, FAQ, and notified the Call Centers to ensure customer issues and concerns would be addressed appropriately. We regret this may have caused any inconvenience or confusion to legitimate subscribers.

Q. What is the anti-piracy policy change?

A. Microsoft is committed to helping prevent software piracy, which often results in end users being the victims of software counterfeiters. Counterfeiters abuse product keys to create fake software packages and distribute these to the public. These packages are not licensed, do not have support, and can also include malware and spyware. Therefore, Microsoft has decided to limit the number of product keys available through TechNet Subscriptions, for all products, to five for TechNet Professional and two for TechNet Standard. TechNet Subscriptions is intended to support software trial and evaluation, versus a production environment. We offer other programs for volume purchasing and installation. We believe this change maintains a sufficient number of product keys for the majority of our customers based on usage data, while greatly reducing the overall risk of piracy and counterfeiting. We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion that this action may have caused our subscribers.

Q. How many keys do I get with the products I download or receive on disk as part of my TechNet Subscription?

A. If you purchased a TechNet subscription through a Volume License agreement you get Volume Licensing keys for the products that need them. For purchase directly from Microsoft or through a reseller the following applies:

* TechNet Professional (RETAIL): Current policy is that subscribers may access a maximum allocation of five keys from the download portal for use during the Subscription year to be used during the software evaluation process.

* TechNet Standard (RETAIL):Current policy is that subscribers may access a maximum allocation of two keys from the download portal for use during the Subscription year to be used during the software evaluation process.

Q. I used to be able to receive additional keys with my TechNet Subscription, how come I no longer can?

A. Microsoft regularly reviews its product offerings relative to customer usage and other market conditions. As a result we have decided to make this change to the TechNet Subscriptions program. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Q. I don't have enough keys and/or activations to evaluate the software on all of my machines. What do I do?

A. In additional to purchasing another TechNet Subscription, there are trial versions of Microsoft software available from the TechNet Software Evaluation Center located at http://technet.microsoft.com/evalcenter/default.aspx

view.gif View: Original Article

I guess my backup of Win7 activated keys comes in handy right about now. :lol:

Did that also. Generated keys available and saved it. Since not renewing my subscription this summer. It was a deal of the century I feel. Windows 7, Windows Office 2010 and all the other stuff. The wording in the updated FAQ could suggest that keys were only working while having an active subscription. But I had a Microsoft Office 2010 package activated just fine now.

I guess my backup of Win7 activated keys comes in handy right about now. :lol:

Did that also. Generated keys available and saved it. Since not renewing my subscription this summer. It was a deal of the century I feel. Windows 7, Windows Office 2010 and all the other stuff. The wording in the updated FAQ could suggest that keys were only working while having an active subscription. But I had a Microsoft Office 2010 package activated just fine now.

what does this change in terms effect?

Archived