Cannot Install apps in windows 7

Sl@pSh0ck™

@nivrid05

Glad you got it sorted out.

But would love to know what can be done beside re-formating though.....it might happen to anyone.

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Something I forgot to mention. Even though you have system restore disabled (like me), Revo Pro does backup the registry. Have a look in the backup manager. Wish I was a bit early. :frusty:

I had the same problem many times with vista, scoured the web for fixes, and tried allsorts. In the end I kept making things worse and had to do a fresh install. Then when it happened again I installed windows 7. Im sure I managed to fix it a couple of times (cant remember how though :angry: )

Now I seem to be able to install programs, but they wont all run :angry: Simple Port forwarding always says its stopped working as soon as I click on it. And also TUT, run it and nothing happens. I wonder if I've been banned or something from using moody copies in the past. Drives you crazy.

Some of these problems could be resolved by Running the programs as an Administrator.. you can set this to always be the case as well in properties for the link or file... There is also a Compatibility option that will resolve some issues... Miranda IM and a few more programs do this very same thing and its something to remember.. especially if yo used XP for so long.. and none of this was really a problem..LOL .. Old habits die hard sometimes.. and learning new ones.. New tools and things to remember.. :)

I tried all that heath, except for Miranda. Turned off everything else in background also. Reinstalled many times and tried everything I know, which isn't much, but this has me stumped. Time to look for alternative software :rolleyes:

Yeah sometimes that is the best possible.. and most efficient way of going about it... Forever onward... LOL... There have been a few programs I have had to just let go.. a couple were fine in the long run because they were just extra eye candy and not really efficient.. and others as I found out.. were not even needed.. or even valid for the way 7 works.. so its been sort of a good thing.. for some of it.. and a protection to that redundant element that starts to make us froth at the mouth like Neanderthals.. after spending hours at the system trying to make it work.. ( I try to refrain from getting the club after the computer :rolleyes: - not really though nor a metaphor that I am violent.. quite the opposite..)

Anyway yeah sometimes its just a better thing waiting on us on down the road.. ( wish that happened more times than it not )

Yeah its just the old 'it won't defeat me, i'll get it working, I won't be beat etc' :D I just don't get it. Take SPF, little thing comes up saying its loading, 5 secs later the box appears saying its stopped working and windows is searching for a solution. Which of course is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

I thought that Miranda thing was a chat messenger? :blink:

It is.. put all all protocols.. Gmail, MSN, Yahoo, AOL.. all of them in one place.. with lots of addons which add a tone of features..but when you run Miranda IM in an LUA.. it starts to open and closes.. no message nothing.. Then.. if you run as Admin.. it starts and runs.. Maybe its just me and something I have done to it.. but that I couldn't understand.. and for whatever reason it uses... the account from the admin side.. probably something simple.. but.. same type of weirdness.. Has several issues like when I upgraded to 7.. Most though I would atleast get a message about it..

I had to give it one more try :D I wouldn't accept that a simple program could defeat me lol. Simple PF is now working. :dance2: Had to turn on DEP for essential windows programs and services only. I had it on 'except for those I select'. :doh:

Now I will try and get TUT running. If that works (I think it will) I can sleep at night again. hehe

edit. That also works, and im still registered. :rolleyes:

Data Execution Prevention.. hit the Wikipedia.. for details.. much better source.. MSDN.. TechNet.. good places for information and made by the people who made IT..

Archived