Win7 Home Premium (OEM) reinstall

shought

I recently bought a new laptop and it came preinstalled with W7 Home Premium, which is great, but also with a ton of crap software I don't want on my system, which is not (great)...

So my question is:

Will I be able to use the same (OEM) key (which is on the back of my laptop) to install W7 Home Premium (my own disk, so no OEM edition or anything) on my laptop? I also heard something about a 'free' upgrade to W7 Ultimate, how does that work?

(Nope, I don't have any installation disc that came with the laptop or anything, with which I could select software to (not) pre-install.)

(I suppose I'll be able to install all required drivers from the Acer site, so that won't be a problem, I guess.)

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just install win 7 ultimate on top of your existing windows 7 home premium to remove those crap ware that comes with acer and then use daz loader to insert the windows 7 ultimate key (not the loader) .... I believe your laptop comes with Slic 2.1 so no need for the loader. ;)

Another option for you is to do anytime upgrade from home premium to ultimate (I dunno, but I think this is not free if you will do it legally) then just use the OEM ultimate keys found in MDL to make the upgrade a freebie :lol:

The series at the back of the laptop is not the OEM key.

Your laptop already come with slic 2.1, just need to use Daz loader which will install the cert and key for Acer.

Use the Ultimate key for Acer to get the Ultimate Edition.

Alternatively, you can remove all the crap in your laptop, I did it to mine.

Then just use Anytime upgrade and key in any Ultimate key to upgrade it to Ultimate. (I did it to mine too).

Alternatively, you can remove all the crap in your laptop, I did it to mine.

Then just use Anytime upgrade and key in any Ultimate key to upgrade it to Ultimate. (I did it to mine too).

This is what I did too on my Acer netbook. Here's the post when I did the Windows Anytime Upgrade two months ago. After about 10 minutes, you have an activated and genuine copy of Windows 7 Ultimate. :dance2:

Does the anytime upgrade work with vista?

My laptop is on vista home premium.

Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate

Vista Home Premuim to Win7 Ultimate. <<< ???

Thanks for your suggestions guys, I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, but we'll see :P

I would go with having an installation disk.. I really hate OEM packages that do not give the disc.. in case of system failure or much needed repair.. That point right there affects my decision immensely... I could care less about the rest.. For me its about long term .. and what do I do if... :)

Why not just uninstall and delete the software you don't want :mellow:

A system without preinstalled stuff is not equal to a system with preinstalled stuff that's installed afterwards ;)

(I'm thinking about doing this anyway though...)

I have remove most of the crap from my Acer laptop except for Acer ePower management using Total Uninstall,

and that was 4 months ago....as good as new.

I have remove most of the crap from my Acer laptop except for Acer ePower management using Total Uninstall,

and that was 4 months ago....as good as new.

I also removed all the junk from my Acer netbook (Acer Aspire One 752). I mostly used Revo Uninstaller Pro but also CCleaner. The only thing that wouldn't 100% uninstall was MyWinLocker thanks to its crappy uninstaller. After using Revo Uninstaller Pro, a few MyWinLocker files were left behind, but the program isn't running. I did this back in June and I'm extremely happy with the performance — especially after the 'free' upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate that only took ten minutes. :D :pirate:

I did what you guys suggested; uninstall all crap and then run the Anytime Upgrade and it worked great :D

Thanks all :)

Mine is a Acer Aspire 4741G upgrade to 4GB RAM and running x64 Ultimate.

Tweak till the reboot time is about 43 sec.

I've left the recovery partition to restore it to factory defaults, should that ever be necessary (maybe if I decide to sell it some time), so that will be enough protection :)

I finished setting up now, installed all required programs, reset Prefetch stuff, rebooted a couple of times to gather proper statistics and then used UD with Respect layout.ini to properly order the files. Boot time is around 30 seconds (to desktops), I'll measure it now :D

Edit: ah, a little more: 33 seconds.

If your hard drive fails, you won't have a recovery partition. :o At least use Acer's program to make recovery DVDs. I also kept my recovery partition, but I imaged my hard drive too. Hmmm, that reminds me, I should do another drive image especially now that I recently got Office 2010 Professional Plus installed with a MAK key on my Acer netbook. :dance2:

I removed the recovery program as well :rolleyes: :D

I generally don't do backups, I don't keep important information on 'secondary' systems ;)

I have partition the HD, keep all my data (music, pictures and video files) there especially Outlook .pst file which tend to grow with time.

Using PerfectDisk for defrag.

Archived