exe Default Launcher

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

Hey guy's,

I have a problem with the default exe Launcher (Opener), My brilliant cousin and I don't know how changed the default exe Launcher to windows media center, And now every time I launch ANY PROGRAME it doesn't open, Instead of it open's windows media center.

What should I do.

Regards,

Ahmad Hajaya

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When did this happen and what were you doing before it occurred?.. have you rebooted, or scanned with Hitman Pro.. or a registry cleaner.. Checked your file associations for rogue entries?

..and try a scan with HiJack This!..

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

This happend yesterday or today, I don't know what he was donig because as I said my cousin did this, Yes I have rebooted more than a dozen time's, No I haven't scanned with Hitman Pro nor did a registry cleaner, I don't know what do you mean with (Checked your file associations for rogue entries) And didn't try HiJack This or any of the mentioned App's BECAUSE In the Original Post I said,

every time I launch ANY PROGRAME it doesn't open, Instead of it open's windows media center.

what are u waiting then 

scan ur system with Hitman + fix registry with CCleaner 

Reboot , and see what would happen 

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

Hi,

Thank you all for helping,

For Bashar: I can't Open any exe file so forget about Hitman + CCleaner .

For WaKa WaKa: It didn't work, And I have allready tried that.

Regards,

Ahmad Hajaya

yeah that box is annoying isnt it lol

the "open with" popup box.

if you accedently choose the wrong file and leave the box ticked to always open up with that certain programe.

i beleive hes tried to open a file for getting to untick the "remember" box and clicked media player.

Edit

Try this link (download the reg file for exe and just run it)

win7

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/file-asso-fixes-for-windows-7/

vista

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/File-association-fixes-for-Windows-Vista.html

Ahmad_Al_Hajaya

Thank you all Guy's for helping, But my cousin wasn't Patient and he formated his pc so it's over and again thank you all for helping.

Regards,

Ahmad Hajaya

:D he did it his own ....

glad you come up with a solution in the end ... u took it the easy way :sneaky:

I didn't see this on time but here is the information incase it happens again.

Viruses or even reg files can cause this, somebody wanted to play a prank on you maybe. Only problem is you have no way of running the regedit command to fix back the registry because it will just launch whatever application it was set to launch.

You need to use either a reg file or an inf file to correct the settings. The registry key affected is "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command"

Save the following registry code to a .reg file then you can run it to fix the problem. This is my method of doing it as I have messed with my friend's computers in the past and made everything launch with notepad, lol. :rofl:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"
"IsolatedCommand"="\"%1\" %*"

OR if you prefer you can use the INF file method. Save the following text to a .inf file, right click the .inf file and click install and it should fix your problem. This inf file was developed by Symantec so credits to them.

[Version]
Signature="$Chicago$"
Provider=Symantec

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=UnhookRegKey

[UnhookRegKey]
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\batfile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\comfile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\exefile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\piffile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\regfile\shell\open\command,,,"regedit.exe ""%1"""
HKLM, Software\CLASSES\scrfile\shell\open\command,,,"""%1"" %*"
HKCU, Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System,DisableRegistryTools,0x00000020,0

Archived