Integrity checking..

Rajesh

Hi All,

Guess this is the right forum to ask this...

recently i switched from using DVDs for my backup, to a USB HDD. The thing is, every time i connect it to update the backup, I want to make sure that nothing unwanted gets in.. The already backed up files stay put. For individual files, i used to calculate MD5/Checksum and verify for integrity. But to do it on a HDD full of files and folders.. Is there any easy way to achieve this? To calculate the checksum of as folderfull of files, and include it in teh folder (probably as a checksum file)?

Thanks

Raj

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Each File alone will have an individual checksum value ( and use SHA4-512 - better )... so wondering what method you use to back to the drive.. is it an exact clone that can be booted if need be? or is it segmented files from a backup? The only way I know of would be to compress into one encrypted file.. and then run a value.. if you alter anything past that point the value will change.. even after removing..

Each File alone will have an individual checksum value ( and use SHA4-512 - better )... so wondering what method you use to back to the drive.. is it an exact clone that can be booted if need be? or is it segmented files from a backup? The only way I know of would be to compress into one encrypted file.. and then run a value.. if you alter anything past that point the value will change.. even after removing..

I just copy the files to my backup drive. Yes, i can have the checksum of one file.. but i don't want to recompress gigabytes of data every time i change something. (My backup drive is 1 TB).

I have seen something like an .sfx file when i downloaded a bunch of multipart rar files(i think). This file has the checksum of all the files, And when i opened this sfx file (Teracopy registers itself as the default handler for this file) it verified the checksum of all the rar files. Anything like that?

Nope not that I know off.. but it could be researched using the Search Bar in your browse or w/e.. BUT I would suggest using something like Acronis True Image Home 2010/2011... You can clone your drive or mine @30 GB in 15 minutes.. Encrypted, Password Protected.. in .tib files...Loadable as a Virtual HD.. Searchable like a RAR file... and can be compressed ( you choose which level ).. Loads up in a Virtual Drive in a couple of seconds.. Better options IMO.. lot easier and once you setup the first one you can do either incremental or full backups.. and the task itself has already been created.. There is also a 'Sandbox' that can be used as well..

Why are you in need of checking the files anyway.. are you afraid they have been tampered with in some way? That is usually only used for transferred information... or data which could see other hands.. or be interacted with in some way between sender and receiver.. Usually not in use for file operations on a personal system.. I mean its sounds safe.. but time consuming.. maybe a little bit of a placebo effect... What I am saying is I think that you are sort of wasting your time with this method.. though IF the files had been tampered with or even data streams.. it would show.. and its unlikely that an infection would be able to mod those files.. possibly because they are not properly protected by ownership and UAC.. and their location.. but still unlikely to be touched outside of the 'Local Drive'..

Just a thought about the method.. Think something else may save you some time.. and be a safer/more secure solution..with better options..

Archived