Buying a headset

jalaffa

I'm strongly considering buying a kick ass headset. Just before hitting the buy button for a Sennheiser Headset HD555 High End I thought about asking for advice here. I'm kind of in love with Sennheiser, but alternatives would be ok.

$200 would be ok as a limit for price. Do you have any suggestions?

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

200 dollar for a headset...? You serious?

I'm using the headset that comes with the Sony Ericsson W995 (in-ear) and it's fine, for me :P

(Obviously it can't beat an actual 'headset' (comparing to 'ear-buds').)

No real recommendations though, not really into the 'headset' scene that much...

Shenheiser is good (different class), but Price is silly!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106392&nm_mc=OTC-C173T&cm_mmc=OTC-C173T-_-Headphones+and+Accessories-_-Sennheiser+Electronic+corp.-_-26106392

$130

Not sure weather it is to your liking, but I'd go some store to get "hands on" test against

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CMS0XU?ie=UTF8&tag=woofzu-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000CMS0XU

@ $89 never mind the looks, but they do perform as well (and no extra , just for the brand)

Interesting (thanks Atasas)

I do love this twist though:

just thought id share it here as i couldn't find an existing thread in the search. i did not discover this myself nor did i make the video. i do have the HD555 and use them with the xonar essence ST, i have performed the mod, it is very easy and with my setup there is a definite difference.

the tl;dr of it is that the HD555 are exactly the same as the HD595 except they have sound retarding material inside them, this allows sennheiser to fill market gaps at lower engineering costs.

im not responsible for any damage you do.

here is the video

here is a tutorial in text form with pcitures

http://cellybot.wordpress.com/2010/03/19/sennheiser-hd555-soundstage-mod-hd595-conversion/

here is another thread with pictures comparing the 2 headphones

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/403497/hd555-internals-anyone-want-to-help-compare-to-hd595-for-future-mods

apparently the drivers in the 2 are exactly the same and even have the same part number, the headphones themselves are also very similar in appearance

Now that's just stupid! you either have to pay extra to get the same sound quality result as Audio Technica ATH-AD700 or just remove the foam...

anw, I'm sure you'll find better deals, than what I've found so far (in a rush and do not know best ways about shopping/shipping to Nor), but I would get Audio Technica, because of annoyance with Shenheizers... unless big diff in money :s

You will want to kick me in the ass.. but go to Wal-Mart.. and by the $20-25 KOSS.. They are good.. ( If they still have them ) Silver and Black.. ear cushion.. kind of big looking..Good sound and Bass.. never figured out how they have good bass.. but they do.. Still not really a small set to kick around in though..

The one that were top of the line were a step above the ones your looking at they.. were like gold or something.. and then were some earbuds.. and I can't remember.. but usually people have a lot of good things to say about the Senn..

Alot of people like something they can order replacements for.. so I would keep that in mind.. and I would buy nothing BOSE.. over priced.. and there are a ton of better products out there.. BUT noise cancellation for SILENCE sometimes would be great.. LOL

You need to say what you want them for. Looks like you want headphones? Are they for at home, or out and about? Over ear in ear? I can't recommend anything without more info. I spent a lot of time researching this area a year or so ago, check out headfi forums. But kiss good bye to your wallet lol. It's addictive.

Music, what type? etc etc What source will you use?

Personally I use Senns 595 for at home, music, games, movies. For on the go outside I use Senns IE8. Both are great but if your not an audiophile (hope I spelt that right) they may not be appreciated.

For anywhere they may get broke I use SoundMagic PL30. Im sure theres better cheap ones around now though. I strongly suggest looking at the forums at headfi. I use all my players/sources at level equalizer, with good stuff theres no nead to adjust to get the intended sound.

All of mine needed burning in before the best sound appeared, so bear that in mind if you try any out.

Bose used to be overpriced and not that good, not sure about nowdays, but im sure theres a better choice for your money.

Archived