Virtualbox etc

avmad

I've noticed a lot of people have a virtual pc inside there main pc nowdays. Things like virtualbox and VM etc. What are the advantages of doing this?

I can see maybe a use for testing software and not compromising there computers, couldn't sandboxie be used instead? or running older programs that maybe don't work on the current OS.

I suppose having Linux or whatever you could do something different. :huh:

Just curious if im missing something? I suppose if im asking I don't need it :D Is it just for fun, messing about and all that, or are there many other reasons that im not seeing.

Any explanations would be great, thanks. I don't want to feel like im missing out on anything special lol :rockon:

Cheers 8)

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sl@pSh0ck™

For us not in a corporate world ... virtual machines can be used for testing softwares esp if you only have one PC you can install different OS's in it (guest OS) ... for those in a corporate world this would mean cutting cost hardware wise ... imagine having one PC that you can use as a server, workstation, testing PC etc .... I'm sure others can add to this explanation.

• Administrator

I use it for testing and learning linux. I'm too lazy for booting it. I install it in VB(Virtualbox) and use it from there. Has some advantages and some disadvantages.

For Windows in VM (Virtual Machine), as mentioned by nivrid, it's normally used for testing out softwares.

Answering your question, sandboxie not permit installation of drives (because of this most of the rootkits that bypass rollback rx, returnil and similars not bypass sandboxie.) so some softwares will not work sandboxed.

As you said, can be used to install let's say win 95 and use legacy apps, as test bed (some softwares permit you convert your image backup in a vm and use it to test drive settings/incompatibilities and so on).

As DK27 said, you can install *nix to learn without dual-booting.

Another point is since "rollback" software is incompatible with *nix dual boot, a VM circunvent this limitation.

If you watch videos by mrizos/languy and a lot of other guys post in youtube, VM's can be used to test/analyse malware. Today is not that sucessfull since there are Virtualization-aware malwares, but can be done.

Now, For me, the main benefit in VM's is the concept of "security by isolation". There is virtualization-aware malwares, but bypass a vm and infect the host is another history. You need be a very "luck" guy to encounter this situation.

Hope this help you.

I use it for a couple of reasons.. I can have any OS.. right there.. and use it like it was installed full screen by installing the Guest Additions.. I even have my OS installed within it as well.. AND with hardware virtualization enabled and enough available RAM you can run MacOSX as well.. having all of the OSes that you can flip on their head and not cause one problem.. or quickly switch too for coding .. checking .. or just because you want to.. You can learn other OSes.. work with other programs... right programs for other OSes... Its a Guru tool.. IMO.. I think its great.. Technically though for some systems and configurations... it is better to have several drives and be able to boot into whichever one you choose.. when ever you choose, utilizing full hardware power.. and leaning away from any host dependencies or other things..

For me .. with a laptop and about a TB or external space which is not bootable.. its a perfect solution to having them all.. and efficiently so..

Virtual machines is more than just useful, they're essential for techies/devs.

I'm a developer, and I use Windows 7 x64 and got 3 virtual machines, 1 Windows XP to use as a development platform, 1 Windows XP to use as a client testing platform, and 1 Windows Server 2003 to use as a server testing platform.

Instead of having separate computers just for testing and developing I can use Virtual machines to achieve that same goal with one decent rig.

I hope that gives you an idea.

PS: My favorite VM is "VMWare Player" and "Virtual Box", both are free if you're curious.

I think I might give it a go. :sneaky: Virtualbox is free right, so maybe I could try out a different OS than Microsoft, its all i've ever used.

Linux might be fun, or any other suggestions? Have to look around and see what software I could get for it.

If I had an external hard drive with no OS on it, non bootable, maybe completely empty, could I put VB on it and run Linux or something fom it? Maybe a silly question lol, I don't know. Im using just a laptop atm, so no massive hard drive, could spare a bit though and maybe use 1g of ram (I have 4G) but thinking about getting an external HD if I can find one cheap enough and big ;) . Im using an old HD from my old pc plugged into a dock kind of thing, using it just for backups atm.

Hmm could have some fun trying something new. :D

Linux might be fun, or any other suggestions?

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are popular.

If I had an external hard drive with no OS on it, non bootable, maybe completely empty, could I put VB on it and run Linux or something fom it? Maybe a silly question lol, I don't know.

When you install applications, you can say you want to put them on your, say, D: drive (external drive), but files always seem to be put on your main C: drive anyway: C:\Program Files\Common Files, %LOCALAPPDATA% (i.e. C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\Local), %APPDATA% (i.e. C:\Users\USER_ID\AppData\Roaming), C:\ProgramData, C:\Windows.

Quite a long time ago, I actually did install a few applications on an external hard drive, but after a while it failed. So Windows showed me some applications in the Programs list that were completely messed up and couldn't be run any longer. :(

So I don't recommend installing applications on an external hard drive.

As for running Linux on an external hard drive, maybe this article would be a good place to start? Virtualbox How to: Gotchas involved in making a USB external hard disk device work on windows host

Been thinking about using ORACLE's OS....

Two things I wanted to mention that is useful to keep in mind..

1. Remember that your VHD is going to take up space and grow as the OS does ( if you use Dynamically expanding storage ).. so your looking at 6-9 GB or more..

2. Always check your information for the most recent version of VB and OSes being used..Old information CAN be misleading or cause you more work than that of whats necessary anymore...

3. Yeah three.. LOL.. Once your in good with the OS.. ALWAYS install the Guest Additions.. :)

Thanks for the advice again :) I looked at the front page last night, low and behold theres the (supposedly) best virtual software there is. :D You think its ok to start with using the wokstation? Or better to start with VB? I'll probably start on my laptop to begin with, keep things simple. I removed all music and movies when I had a system meltdown so have over 100g free atm, I could play in a bit of that ;)

It doesn't seem that difficult tbh (famous last words) and i'll only be doing it for fun, unless I discover something truly useful.

edit. Just remembered how I gained so much HD space :rolleyes: I lost all my Steam games :frusty: can re-download them again, but its a lot of gigs.

• Administrator

Try Kubuntu. It's similar to windows. Before the launch of Windows 7, some actually thought that Kubuntu is Windows 7 (as per a survey). Ubuntu is based on GNOME and Kubuntu is based on KDE.

I recommend VB over others.

I also recommend VB and Ubuntu/Kubuntu. VB is smaller than VMware. You install it on your system drive and you can choose to save your virtual machine to your external hdd. Like heath28m said, install the guest additions it will make things easier for you to switch, copy, or paste between OS.

I use VMs mainly for testing and developer purpose!

I just don't wont to mess my real(host) OSs :)

And for that, a just installs guest os and set it for my individual tasks...

I use VMs and for bussiness, and work too. For example we use vmWare ESX servers on work :)

They extends our main server and help us to safe resources and energy.

We can make thousands of copies(templates) from one only VM and we can do this in realtime without interupt VM work processes :)

And so on...

This is only one part of main benefits from use of VMs but the conclusion is that VMs make life easier and better with spend less time :)

Thanks guys im sold on the idea :D Just have to decide what os to try on it first ;) Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate it.

• Administrator

Thanks guys im sold on the idea :D Just have to decide what os to try on it first ;) Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate it.

Windows 95. :D

Try Ubuntu/Kubuntu. One of the easiest to use linux distros. I found Ubuntu a bit hard to understand when it came to installing a few things. Just read a few days ago that Kubuntu is very good for a Windows user. Please note that most of the linux distros are free and opensource. And should be 700MB download at normal. All you need to do is go to the homepage and click get it button. :)

Already downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.1 Desktop ;) Thought I'd avoid the new beta, as a first timer. Will give it a try in VB first. Its not for any other reason than playing with some new toys :D Who knows though I may become a convert and replace Windows lol.

I downloaded the windows installer from them, will I need to use it to instal in VB?

• Administrator

No. Don't use Wubi. It's an installer to install/uninstall Ubuntu as an boot option, it will not run as a VM nor is aimed at.

Ok thanks. I've just watched a couple of good videos to see what to expect when installing. Hopefully have time this evening to try it out. :)

if you're want to install on VM, you may choose lighter one...

such ubuntu based --> lubuntu, it far lighter than ubuntu..

or

fedora -- lxde spin

those two use lxde desktop

• Administrator

Wasn't Solaris development stopped recently? :unsure:

Archived