Virtualbox question

Sl@pSh0ck™

Sl@pSh0ck™

Hey guys

I am trying to install a x64 flavor of windows 7 in a virtualbox but it is giving me an error that my CPU can't run x64 based application. I tried to install win 7 ult from a bootable disc ... will try to burn it in a dvd to check if that would make any difference.

now my question is ... can I install a x64 windows 7 in virtualbox if my host OS is running x86?

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first u hav to check that is ur hardware suppports x64 cause i also in the same scene long time ago but use the latest version of virtual box mite b the solution or try some other option like Vmware

• Administrator

As far as I know, you can't install a guest x64 on a x32 system in most of the cases.

EDIT: Hope this helps. :)

Yeah you definitely have to 64 bit architecture to run an x64 version or program.. bit width is the issue.. while some x32 may be compatible on x64.. It is not reverse compatible...

There was an article on TechNet I read a long time time which explained the differences in writing code for x64 and x32 bit.. the advantages and so on.. Helped me get a better understanding what it means and does and why it is different....

Even if virtual.. ( now a 64 bit system with hardware virtualization running a 32 bit os.. MIGHT work.. not for sure because I have actually done it.. but it would make sense.. )

Sl@pSh0ck™

You are correct guys ... I just found out that my laptop's cpu and bios does not support hardware virtualization, although it can run x64 host OS it cannot run x64 guest OS. Thanks for your help.

• Administrator

I would still recommend x64 Windows 7 installation even when you have 2GB of RAM. My 2GB of RAM replacement came just a few days ago, now I have 4GB. But from so many months I used 64bit Windows 7 with just 2GB installed RAM and was able Street Fighter IV, NFS Underground, Shift, all with just 2GB of installed RAM.

• Administrator

If you are running a x86 host it is impossible to run an x64 guest even if your you have x64 capable hardware.

If you are running a x86 host it is impossible to run an x64 guest even if your you have x64 capable hardware.

but i am currently running an x64 guest on x86 host and i have x64 capable hardware

• Administrator

It is possible. From the above link:

64-bit guests

Starting with version 2.0, VirtualBox supports 64-bit guest operating systems. Starting with version 2.1, you can even run 64-bit guests on a 32-bit host operating system. The hardware prerequisites are identical for both cases.

In particular, 64-bit guests are supported under the following conditions:

1. You need a 64-bit processor with hardware virtualization support (see the section called "Hardware vs. software virtualization").
  2. You must enable hardware virtualization for the particular VM for which you want 64-bit support; software virtualization is not supported for 64-bit VMs.
  3. If you want to use 64-bit guest support on a 32-bit host operating system, you must also select a 64-bit operating system for the particular VM. Since supporting 64 bits on 32-bit hosts incurs additional overhead, VirtualBox only enables this support upon explicit request.
    On 64-bit hosts, 64-bit guest support is always enabled, so you can simply install a 64-bit operating system in the guest.

Warning

On any host, you should enable the I/O APIC for virtual machines that you intend to use in 64-bit mode. This is especially true for 64-bit Windows VMs. See the section called ""Advanced" tab". In addition, for 64-bit Windows guests, you should make sure that the VM uses the Intel networking device, since there is no 64-bit driver support for the AMD PCNet card; see the section called "Virtual networking hardware".

If you use the "Create VM" wizard of the VirtualBox graphical user interface (see the section called "Creating your first virtual machine"), VirtualBox will automatically use the correct settings for each selected 64-bit operating system type.

Also, you'll need a VT-x or a AMD-V enabled processor. But be warned, it's not recommended and is sort of dangerous to run a 64bit guest on a 32bit host.

You are correct guys ... I just found out that my laptop's cpu and bios does not support hardware virtualization, although it can run x64 host OS it cannot run x64 guest OS. Thanks for your help.

Bro, since you can run a Windows x64 host OS, why not just create a separate partition and install Windows 7 x64 into this new partition? You could then image this new partition and quickly restore Windows 7 x64 whenever you want. (Obviously, you could only run either Windows 7 x86 or Windows 7 x64 at any given time with this method.)

Archived