Laptop will not recognize CD drive...

d3v

Hi all.

A laptop I'm working on is not recognizing the CD drive in Windows mode but what is unusual is that i can't even boot a disk from it! The boot menu does not show the CD drive as an option, nor does selecting the CD drive as the first boot device work, either. I haven even tried swapping the CD drive with a spare one I have thanks to a customer donating a terminally damaged laptop (lots of useful spare parts :D)

I have tried other boot disks, I have tried reseting CMOS battery, but nothing is working!

WEIRD OR WHAT???

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ur could try enabling USB legasy boot option in BIOS and connecting external adapter/CD drive- would tell you if it is fried up connection or drive/'es incompatible or else..

Ur could try enabling USB legasy boot option in BIOS and connecting external adapter/CD drive- would tell you if it is fried up connection or drive/'es incompatible or else..

Sorry I should of added more information to beging with!

I've actually tried connecting an external CD drive via a IDE/SATA to USB adapter but strangly the PC did not recognize this, either!

And USB legacy option does not exist in the BIOS nore does setting SATA to compatible mode, which sometimes does the trick when it comes to these issues.

On the HP website support page for this laptop "G6062EA" it says the latest BIOS version is F.08 upon rebooting for the purpose of checking the BIOS version I was expecting v F.07 but found that the PC had been updated by the customer?

Maybe a bad flash????

I've also stripped the laptop down, cleaned it out and checked the SATA port that links the CD drive into the motherboard and there is no sign of damage or burn marks.

90% surely wrong BIOS, how to re'lfash it back to (my recommendation original version, then to upgrade if absolutely must)... dunno as I dont think you'll be able to via USB

One of them times, as "repairing" not broken PC- broke it and hardly there is solution to fix that. apart from finding a way on how to flush BIOS chip

Oh I can boot to a USB flash drive I should add :)

Also I may be able to flash in Windows mode using a HP-made tool.

I'll give it a try now!

update: I was mistaken about a previous BIOS version being available. There is only vF.08 on the HP website and so I'm guessing these laptops shipped with vF.07? If so then the customer must have flashed to vF.08 himself.

Anyway I tried flashing the BIOS to F.08 to see if it helped but NOPE!.

his is extraordinary. ???????????

I'm not sure weather something is buggered wit BIOS chip or as Biz said connection somewhere fried up, none the less what is amazing it still doesn't work and windows do! Could recommend running SIW to see hardware Configurations and try to see what errors it would see, but hardly going to solve anything

Have you tried researching the drive itself and model/make to see if there is new firmware available? .. do you have power to the drive? I would try doing the firmware IF it is something that will work.. Hard to think that the firmware would be responsible.. but it would be worth a shot.. IMO..even if the system doesn't recognize the drive it may still run the disc..and update itself..

Did you try resetting the BIOS settings to default? or checking the placement in the IDE/Primary/Secondary/Master/Slave - sometimes real picky they are... :(

I'm currently formatting the PC with Windows 7 via a USB flash drive. I doubt it will make any difference, but we will see.

I'll check for CD drive firmware updates after the format.

and yes the drive is getting power and is spinning the disks just fine.

Ok Win7 is now on but it gets worse.

the sound card and wireless network card are now not being recognized whatsoever. I've tried multiple sys info tools including device manager and the bundled Microsoft sys info tool and all fail to detect either device being connected even though I have stripped the laptop down more than 5 times to check all connections and cables and seated correctly. Un-Believable!

Is this a dying motherboard? If so isn't it rather odd and unheard of for a dying board to exhibit this type of behaviour? I know I for one have never heard or experienced anything like this before.

Have you went online and checked for updates using the LAN yet.. or anything.. checked the services to make sure they are running for each?

Yeah I tried but even the ethernet wasn't working either!

WHAT THE F**K??

Anyhow I have given up and gave it back to the customer advising him to get a 2nd opinion. I asked him to text me back the problem if he ever finds out. I hope he does because I'd love to know!

Archived