External HDD Always Acting Crappy!

Duzaki

Okay, I have this issue with my external hard drive. Ever since I bought it, it has been messed up. I put my data in there and that transfer goes perfectly fine. But, when I want to transfer some data out of it, especially in big chunks, it gets stuck and displays errors like it can't find the files. This is the external hard drive I'm talking about. When the hdd is idle, the light turns into a bright-ish red color and doesn't move. When it's transfering or in use by something, the light is a bit darker red and it spins. So, sometimes during the errors the spinning light keeps going on and I am unable to safely remove the hdd. Then, at other times, the light itself gets stuck with the file errors, as in, while spinning, it'll stop and stay there. After these errors, when I boot the hdd up again, it asks to be formatted. I HATE THIS!!! It always tries to keep/destroy my data!!! I don't know what's wrong with it. I do want to try formatting it. Do you guys know any tools that would be best to format this and build the mbr back and everything else? Or do you think that this hdd is just messed up and can't be fixed? :dunno:

EDIT: My bad; I posted this thread in the wrong location by accident, thanks for moving it. :)

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Duzaki:

Have you tried using the External HDD on other computers?

----------

What Is PartitionMagic?

PowerQuest® PartitionMagic® is a utility that lets you quickly and easily create, delete, merge, or convert file systems of partitions on your hard disk without destroying existing data. PartitionMagic will make your hard disk more efficient and provide greater security for your data.

PartitionMagic enables you to secure your data by physically separating it from other files. Separate partitions also make backups easy.

PartitionMagic helps you reliably run multiple operating systems on the same computer. PartitionMagic also includes BootMagic, a powerful boot manager that helps you safely install new operating systems and lets you choose which operating system you want to use when starting your computer.

In addition to powerful partitioning features, PartitionMagic offers a variety of other options. For instance, you can perform partitioning operations and view the changes that will be made before applying them to your system. Additionally, you can view comprehensive information about your hard disk geometry and your hardware system, and you can resize root directories (FAT, FAT32) to make room for more long filenames.

Download: App + Fix

MediaFire . com sharecode is /?l5k8yhlzh5hp4gi

What version of Windows are you using?

I would suggest a couple of things.. I had some similar issues and not for sure why it is happening either.. always occurred when I tried to transfer large files or backup my system..

I had never had an issue with mine until the last few months.. plus I was using it as FAT Formatted before as well.. then I bought a 500 GB NTFS Seagate... moved data and reformatted the Iomega ( which is a 320 GB Seagate Barracuda w/o a serial I might add....????.... Came from the store that way ) ..to NTFS.. It always seemed a little slow and difficult when working with large files.. like mounting my backup as Virtual Drive... and when transferring large files.. Then it would cause a complete system freeze in the middle of writing/defragging/modifying larger files.. Hard boot with the power button was necessary.. ( screen looked like a screenshot of my system. would just stay there .. lots of maintenance checks later ) I ran across.. These two tings..

Things that I did.. in Windows 7 Ultimate..

1. Disabled Distributed Link Tacking Client.. This service is well defined in Services.. and for whatever reason it is causing problems on quite a few systems when it comes to NTFS Formatted drives...

2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2265716/ and applied the Hotfix.. haven't had any issues recently.. but I still haven't tried opening my 10 GB VHD's in VB yet again either.. I alos removed all Library entries to anything external... and Search Indexer was cleaned of any search directories added and locations which were external as well..

I enabled NTFS self-healing feature for the drives as well... and run numerous test as well on all drives to try to track down the problem.. Just not for sure why large 9 Several GB ) encrypted files cause such a problem.. with Windows 7..

BUT these are what I addressed thus far.. Event Viewer is a good place to look for problems that can be fixable as well..

• 2 weeks later...

@Bizarre™: I have used it on other PCs and laptops as well. It's the same situation, mate. :( Would PartitionMagic, sort of, reset the HDD? It isn't Windows 7 compatible, is it? I'm asking since Norton doesn't even offer this software anymore. :dunno:

@heath28m: I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64. As far as I can tell, this HDD is formatted as NTFS. There's a total of 931GB available. I'll try disabling Distributed Link Tacking Client and applying the hotfix and get back to you on that. :) What do you mean by "NTFS self-healing feature", mate? That seems to be an interesting thing, it might help.

To add more info., when I tried to format (not quick format) the HDD through Windows, the bar began to turn green slowly but, then all of the sudden an error showed up. It said that the hard drive can't be formatted. I couldn't "safely remove" the HDD. I turned it off manually and ran it again and luckily it showed up (no freezes or anything) and it asked to be formatted. I then began to format it again but this time, with quick format. That seemed to work but, it literally formatted in seconds. I believe that isn't right. :think: Also, I already took out all of my data, so I don't really have to worry about that (for now). And can try different formatting tools and other tools on it. But, when I do put the data back in it, I am sure it'll act the same way (without trying any tools). :rant:

@Duzaki:

I don't know if it supports Windows 7 since I had that program for ages.

How about you try this:

1. Delete the partition(s).

2. Create new partition(s).

3. Format new partition(s).

If it still doesn't work, there may be a problem with your HD.

If it still has a warranty, I suggest you RMA it.

After installing PartitionMagic, this error came up: PartitionMagic can only run on Windows NT Workstation 4.0, Windows 2000, and Windows XP. :( I'll try the steps you mentioned and get back to you. :)

I was just wondering if it's possible to remove the hdd from its external casing, maybe then you could put it internally to a desktop PC and check if the problem persists. It could be the problem is with the external casing, maybe the connection gets lost :unsure: . But then again if it's still under warranty I'd avoid that suggestion and I'd go with Bizarre's and have it RMA'd.

And one more thing - Do you stop your Indexing Service, whitch can interupt and mess the work of the External drive while you make operations with it?

I actually have been thinking about it.. but I don't have it shut off because I only use it for documents and my Start Menu in 7.. Don't know how to get around that..

hmmm nasty. hope you didnt pay $400 for that 1TB external hd like your like link showed. basically without opening it up you do not know what actually internal harddrive is in it. 1tbs hmmm seagate had firmware problems. just because its a harddrive saling company doesnt mean they used theirs in a product. i seem to remember either emd or intel selling computers with the others chip inside it. heres a link i pulled up http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/hitachi-external-hard-drive/4852-3186_7-32477552.html. they didnt like the harddrive.

Yeah I ran into the firmware note... ( when I found out my Iomega was a Seagate.. AFTER I bought another Seagate.. ) It had to do with a bad version of Firmware which had to be changed and updated.. I think SeaTools usually will take care of it.. BUT like my OEM Barracuda.. lots of issues getting to its specs.. Then you find out that they were right there in one line all along..LOL Luckily mine wasn't..

I was just wondering if it's possible to remove the hdd from its external casing, maybe then you could put it internally to a desktop PC and check if the problem persists. It could be the problem is with the external casing, maybe the connection gets lost :unsure: . But then again if it's still under warranty I'd avoid that suggestion and I'd go with Bizarre's and have it RMA'd.

I don't think I can open it, mate. I don't see any screws or anything of that sort. It's full covered, I don't see clips or anything where I would be able to pull it open. It's not under warranty or I would have RMA'd it. :(

This is about the Self-healing ...

http://www.windows7hacker.com/index.php/2010/07/ntfs-self-healing-is-an-overlooked-but-useful-feature-in-windows-7/

There is also a lot of information in depth on how it is used and what to expect from the tool.. at Microsoft ( searchable )..

Thanks for the link, mate. :) I'll read over it.

And one more thing - Do you stop your Indexing Service, whitch can interupt and mess the work of the External drive while you make operations with it?

Indexing Service? What does that do and if it is that bad, how can I turn it off? :blink:

hmmm nasty. hope you didnt pay $400 for that 1TB external hd like your like link showed. basically without opening it up you do not know what actually internal harddrive is in it. 1tbs hmmm seagate had firmware problems. just because its a harddrive saling company doesnt mean they used theirs in a product. i seem to remember either emd or intel selling computers with the others chip inside it. heres a link i pulled up http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/hitachi-external-hard-drive/4852-3186_7-32477552.html. they didnt like the harddrive.

No, I didn't pay $400 but, I did pay more then half of that for it. :mad2: Seems like a huge waste of money. This one product of theirs just made me hate everything related to Hitachi. :rant: But, as I mentioned above, I don't think I can open it. If I do decide to do that, I think I'd have to break the casing. I guess, maybe if I tried all the tools available from the different companies, something might just work, lol? :dunno:

• Administrator

Indexing Service? What does that do and if it is that bad, how can I turn it off? :blink:

It indexes the files for faster search results. Has many negatives. Read this article to disable it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Thanks for the article, mate. :)

Google is your friend.*

*Ignoring all the accusations against Google. :hehe:

True, Google indeed is your friend, mate but, I also like to hear what our forum members have to say; it's more interesting and kind of to the point. :thumbsup:

Archived