to all you DVD rippers [question]

Nemesis

i have a question, how do people burn long movies in such good quality without removing menu's and putting it on a 4.7gb disk??

ive tried and tried and tried and i cant seem to get it

i guess what im asking is what encoders, passes, resolution ect... do people use, and whats a good program to use?

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

filtering, filtering, and more complicated filtering that causes each encoding pass to take like 6 hours :\

but...

Encoder: CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder)

Passes: 4-7 (depending on length)

Resolution: 720x480 (WS and FS)

you can also try using the KVCD matrix to save some quality :lol:

filtering, filtering, and more complicated filtering that causes each encoding pass to take like 6 hours :\

but...

Encoder: CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder)

Passes: 4-7 (depending on length)

Resolution: 720x480 (WS and FS)

you can also try using the KVCD matrix to save some quality :lol:

so, by passes, you mean, the longer the movie, the more passes?? im a real noob when it comes to this lol

EDIT: it may just be better for me to spend the money and buy the DL disks, thats what the DVD makers use i believe. its still cheaper then buying the movies. atleast thats how i look at it.

yeah, the longer or more visually complex a movie is the more passes you'll need to use to compress it :lol:

@ 69-stang:

yes, what you're looking for is a authoring package and a good encoder (contrary to a transcoder like DVDShrink).

you need to rip the DVD to HD, then remove stuff that you don't need (i.e. subs, languages, extras, maybe menus) to gain space for the main movie. if you want to keep menus but need them to be small MenuShrink and PgcEdit are your friends.

after that you need to have a look at the movie and set your plan of action. what are the average bitrates, is is highly compressed, how difficult will it be to encode (among other things)?

according to your findings you might want to chose matrix WX and/or filter YZ and of course the encoder.

there basically are three good choices encoder wise:

- CCE

- ProCoder

- HC (free)

CCE (Pro) is a great encoder, but ProCoder softens the output more so it is often better suited for lower bitrates encodes where CCE would often look rather blocky. but then again, you can do a lot of things with matrixes and filters, though it might take quite some time to get a grip in this matter.

HC has become quite mature and delivers very good output that rivals even CCE.

after you finished your encode you need to rebuild the output in order to get a well playable DVD.

@ nsane:

yeah, the longer or more visually complex a movie is the more passes you'll need to use to compress it
I strongly disagree :)

let me humbly quote myself in a guide I wrote

set VBR passes to a maximum of 3 or 4. anything higher is a waste of time (right from the developers mouth).

the myth that the maximun of passes is the ultimate way to go quality wise is total nonsense.

in my encodes I rarely find a difference between 2, 3 or 4 passes with CCE Pro (v2.70.02.x). given, there sometimes are subtle differences when choosing more passes, but they are not always to the better. on top of that in my view they are most of the time so small that a higher number of passes is just a waste of time.

this field (quality) is of course very subjective as all our eyes are different. maybe you can spot a difference between 4 and 7 passes in movie XYZ, I surly can't most of time ;)

let me just add that the Developer of DVD-RB has a similar view on this topic.

@ 69-stang

for a IMHO good starting point send me a PM. see here:

http://www.nsaneforums.com/ind...?showtopic=5756

Archived