300 Spartans sack movie theatres

Bolt_Gundam510

Bolt_Gundam510

BOX OFFICE TOP 10Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at U.S. and Canadian theaters, according to Media By Numbers LLC. Final figures will be released Monday.

1. "300," $70 million.

2. "Wild Hogs," $28 million.

3. "Bridge to Terabithia," $6.9 million.

4. "Ghost Rider," $6.8 million.

5. "Zodiac," $6.77 million.

6. "The Number 23," $4.33 million.

7. "Norbit," $4.3 million.

8. "Music and Lyrics," $3.8 million.

9. "Breach," $2.6 million.

10. "Amazing Grace," $2.5 million.

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- The ancient battle of Thermopylae was the stuff of 2007's first certified blockbuster as the bloody action tale "300" debuted with $70 million over opening weekend, according to studio estimates Sunday.

That's about $233,000 for every one of the legendary 300 Spartan soldiers who fought off a much larger Persian force in the epic battle.

"On a Spartan-by-Spartan basis, that's a lot of money," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Media By Numbers. "Summer came a little early, because this is a summer-style opening."

The number of movie-goers for the Warner Bros. epic "300" outnumbered crowds for the rest of the top-10 movies combined. If the estimate holds when final numbers are released Monday, "300" would break the record for best March debut ever, topping the $68 million haul for "Ice Age: The Meltdown" last year. (Watch the making of the half-digital "300.")

"300" played in 3,103 theaters, about 850 fewer than the "Ice Age" sequel, making its box-office performance even more notable. The movie averaged $22,567 a theater, a whopping number for a wide release.

The total for "300" includes $3.4 million from 62 IMAX theaters, a record opening weekend for the large-screen format.

Buoyed by "300" and some solid holdovers, Hollywood business soared, with the top-12 movies taking in $139.4 million, up 49 percent from the same weekend last year.

"300" bumped off the previous weekend's No. 1 movie, Disney's "Wild Hogs," which slipped to second place but held up well with $28 million, raising its total to $77.4 million.

In limited release, Fox Searchlight's immigrant drama "The Namesake" opened strongly with 250,762 in six theaters, averaging $41,794. Centered on an Indian family's assimilation in America, "The Namesake" expands to more theaters Friday.

Going into the weekend, movie attendance had been lagging 1 percent behind last year's because of a slump in January and February. Attendance now is up nearly 2 percent for the year because of the strong weekend, according to Media By Numbers.

Adapted from Frank Miller's graphic novel, "300" stars Gerard Butler as Leonidas, king of the Greek city state of Sparta, who leads his vastly outnumbered men against the Persian invaders.

Directed by Zack Snyder ("Dawn of the Dead"), "300" presents the actors against digitally created backgrounds to re-create the look of Miller's graphic novel, a technique similar to that used on the movie adaptation of Miller's "Sin City."

"It's a new-fashioned version of an epic movie. Great, old-fashioned storytelling with all the brilliant use of the technology available to us now," "300" producer Mark Canton said Sunday.

Heavy on violence, the movie had an R rating, normally a damper on a film's blockbuster potential. But "300" wound up with the third-best debut ever for an R-rated movie, behind "The Matrix Reloaded" at $91.8 million and "The Passion of the Christ" at $83.8 million.

"The violence doesn't bother anybody because it's done in a way that's not offensive," said Dan Fellman, Warner Bros. head of distribution. "People love the movie, they love the originality. The best thing you can have for a film is great word of mouth. When the public is selling the movie for you, that's when you have a real success."

Source: CNN Entertainment

• Replies 11
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its getting released in India this Friday.. .. and I will be watching this during weekend.. A must watch.

I saw this movie three days before it came out in theaters for free..

It was a pretty damn good movie. Lots of action, lots of death and lots of blood. Theres like no character development but its an action film so you would expect that. Its also totally unrealistic. So once you get over the fact that its fake, its damn entertaining.

I saw this movie three days before it came out in theaters for free..

It was a pretty damn good movie. Lots of action, lots of death and lots of blood. Theres like no character development but its an action film so you would expect that. Its also totally unrealistic. So once you get over the fact that its fake, its damn entertaining.

Hope you saw it on a big screen... This one begs one large screaming screen....

it was unrealistic battle... Im from greece so if you study history articles you can see that this 300 Spartans(+700 Thespians) fought like true heroes and all died bc of the betray. It is said that the arrows of Persians was so many that they create a shadow over the greeks. Must see film

A frnd got a CAM print downloaded already....tempting.. but I will wait...

O.M.G This is by far the best movie ive seen in a while. A "romanced" tale of great courage and valor, i found it really inspiring. In fact i havnt felt like this when getting out of the theatre since Braveheart. Of course it have some cheasy parts but thats to entertain your women :jester: Highly recommanded!!! :) :battle:

Wiki 300 spartans

post-1128-1173933144.jpg

Q Can Fix IT

300 is a highly downloaded movie right now yet look at all the money its making. you know why cause it's actually a good movie. someone in holy wood had a good idea and put it to good use

isin't it interesting that the most pirated movie floating around right now is also making hollywood such a huge income? hmm...

MAKE BETTER MOVIES AND NO MATTER HOW MANY TIMES ITS DOWNLOADED THOSE SAME PEOPLE WILL JUMP AT THE CHANCE TO SEE IT ON THE BIG SCREEN ANYWAY,

i bet a good number of people that went to see that movie, had already watched it on their computer and said dayum. i need to see this on a 200 foot screen in a theater full of excited fans.

going to the movie theater is an experience, and seasoned movie goers are tired of being patronized with substandard quality directing, acting and character development. need i go on? i think not.

tell us a good story, with real istic characters and awesome special effects and we'll go.

some of the other most downloaded movies that also made the most money in the box offices

hulk,

star wars 3

spiderman,

superman

batman begins,

great stories + great characters = loyal fans

Archived