Block Ads In Firefox

Samurai

We all know Firefox has it's own built in pop-up blocker, but sometimes it doesn't block eevry single one. Well... a buddy of mine just posted some URL's on another forum leading to a way to block every pop-up.

First check out...

http://www.newszoom.com/search/latest/ragnarok/news/

Around 10-15 pop ups will load up, and if you're lucky only around 2 or 3 will load up and the rest will be blocked. I'm unsure how these pop ups work but they do get through Firefox's security.

To ensure this never happens again, follow these guidelines...

1. Install the ChromEdit extension

2. Go to the tools menu and click "Edit User Files"

3. Go to the "userContent.css" tab

4. Go to this link and copy the code - http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/adblock

5. Paste it in your userContent.css file and click save

6. Restart your browser

Enjoy ad-free surfing!

In case you're wondering how this works, it just blocks elements in the page that are the same as those specified in your userContent.css, so it doesnt even load the image/iframe/whatever (unlike Adblock).

Try that original page again - good eh! ;)

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LemonHead2089

I didn't get any popups either. There wasn't any notification that lets you know whether iit blocked any popups or not neither.

Strange.

Some people got some, some didn't and we're all using latest version, 1.0.4 right? Oh well, if you do come across a site that you receive pop-ups from, then follow this guide and let us know if it works for you.

I'm getting none whatsoever now, not even an alert as you mentioned earlier.

Rudeboy2025

No pop-ups for me. Me still confused about deer park. Is it a new version of firefox or something?

No pop-ups for me.  Me still confused about deer park.  Is it a new version of firefox or something?

yeah, i read somewhere that mozilla officialy announced it was the alpha for firefox 1.1 ;)

Never saw this before, but ive got a better way and its regularly updated.

1. Install Adblock extension and go Here

2. Follow the directions under instructions.txt. Then you have updated adblocking.

REMEMBER: Before you do this method undo the first method.

THere are a lot of good extensions that can be used to improve security and popups..

Adblock is a good one as mentioned by Snake. You can even give it filters list from here: http://www.geocities.com/pierceive/adblock/

FlashBlock is great for replacing FLash images with little boxes. This is useful since many sites now use Flash ads and even use flash to make popups. Also, now u just saved the loading of the site because u dont have to download the flash. And if you do want to see the flash, just click the box and the flash will download and play.

NoScript is another extension for diabling scripts on sites that arnt on ur whitelist. Another great one since a lot of sites use scripts for nasy purposes.

Grease Monkey. Dead usefull. You can take out any ads and modify any site so you can view it however you like. You can find tons of pre-written monkey scripts here: http://dunck.us/collab/GreaseMonkeyUserScripts

• 6 years later...

2. Follow the directions under instructions.txt. Then you have updated adblocking.

The download link won't work. :(

Snake, on 11 June 2005!!!

Search adblock on the webs, you'll get it...

Just go to Firefox's site, then clk the AddOns link and search 'Adblock'. It's the best...been using it for a loong time.

2005!?! DOH!! Booo....

http://adblockplus.org/

2005!?! DOH!! Booo....

:rofl: leave the kid alone.at least he`s trying to learn something not eating at mcdonald`s and becoming a whale or destroying his brain on facebook! ;)

Archived