New 7 User

avmad

So far so good :D Are their any essential settings I should use? Or any must have software?

Any recommendations would be cool, thanks all.

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What version of Windows 7 do you have?.. The main thing is your system configuration.. and how you use it.. Very hard question to pose to people ...

DirectX 11 is fine...

You know I have that downloaded and I was going to try it and forgot about it.. Been using CFi Shell Toys since my XP days though...

My basics..( used the spoiler because of the long list - to cover the recommended IMO )

Ultimate Defrag

Yamicsoft Windows 7 Manager - But use care with some of the settings..( know what your doing by research if you question it )

WinASO

Acronis True Image with Plus Pack

7-Zip or WinRAR

..Several options for Virtual Discs and Drives.. PowerISO, FarStone.. MagicISO, UltraISO.. on and on.. CFi even has Virtual Drive .. all work well..

HostsMan

cFos Speed

PeerBlock

Vidalia Bundle( Tor Project )

IIS 7.5 - Comes with your version but it is a component you must install..Good with Web Platform Installer.. BUT Conflict with the version of PHP for this and..

Apache HTTP Server... so you have to plan that out and use one or the other... ( still don't have my own forum running on this system.. )

Plone

Titan FTP Server

VibeStream

TVersity ( DNLA 3 Support other than WMP12 )

ID USB Lock Key

TruCrypt

AV/Spam/Firewall - Highly debatable but I use Eset Smart Security with settings combed through..

HiJackThis!

Hitman Pro

Tenable Nessus Home Feed

Eraser by Heidi Computing ( using version 5.8.7 )

SuperHashCalc 3

R-Studio Network Edition

Everest Ultimate Edition

Runboxx - Nice alternative and can be set to run as admin to begin with..also remembers commands and input

VirtualBox - Don't even worry about VirtualPC.. run Windows XP Mode Image in this ( plus you can have anything else you want inside Windows 7 including MacOSX )

VistaGlazz - lots of great Styles and Themes out there... for people who mod..

TrueTransparency

Stardock LogonStudio ( this was just SOOO easy .. )

FastStone Capture

Rainmeter

Serious Samurize

Litestep ( can get a little difficult on installation though for multiple accounts )

..some replacement files for MediaCenters as well ..complete mods..

Atomic Alarm Clock - Customizable skins and calendars..

Adobe Master Collection CS5 - Covers a lot of ground.. good apps.. Media and Code Dev.. Transcoding and Mastering..

FontManager X3

Axialis IconWorkshop - if you need a tool that is quick to create an icon or pull one out for any purpose..

ConvertAll!

Foxit Phantom

WinMerge

Microsoft Office 2010

CD Art Display

Winamp

MPC-HC ( comes with K-Lite Codec Pack Full which I feel is one of the best )

SPlayer ( better looking alternative to MPC-HC with transparency support but greater on resources.. great if you have a system to handle it )

Firefox

Opera

SRWare Iron

IE7Pro for IE8..LOL..

Miranda IM - after you install all of the main apps.. use this one to centralize your accounts.. along with the fact that it can also be like the swiss army knife that FF is .. run servers.. weather.. encryption.. a ton of things you can do with it ( and it also can be made portable - great with PortableApps.com Platform 2 beta 5 )

uTorrent ..

K-Lite Codecs - like I mention above

Native Instruments Traktor Studio..

M-Audio Torq..

.. a few Sony Products in there...

.. and a couple of good Boot Discs..including a valid full installation disc of Windows 7.. You will need this for a Repair of the OS.. should ever need to recover from an unbootable 'mishap'.. it happens.. ( Hirens Boot CD, BartPE disc.. several that people will recommend ).. Great number of tutorials about new features and how to use them around the net as well .. ( kind of thing that comes with time.. ) Good to keep abreast of changes in OSes as well and to remember that factor.. and stay up to date on the programs and Windows Updates..

.. and really there are a ton of great features in Windows 7 itself which are new or improved for the OS which can cover a great many things... and even be used instead of some of those I listed.. Like the Local Security Policy, Event Viewer for Diagnostics.. ( and settings changes that may need to be made for a smoother more efficient system ).. Windows Powershell, Home Group.. ( great many features and options - not so well developed in Vista I don't think )..point being that many tool already exist to aid you in getting what you want out of the the system itself.. There are a few aspects that if I was using my system on a Networked basis.. or had many devices or systems on the network I would probably be using.. or even give a thumbs up for... and even within each one of those apps are the configurations and settings.. and extensions or add-ons that can make or break the reason for the recommendations.. So its what I recommend.. and have used without major issues on the OS.. ( with a system that falls way under the desired hardware requirements ) ..

I think alot of this has to be in the way that the OS was written and improved.. It REALLY does a myriad more things than XP, but yet still has the performance.. especially on the right hardware...Even at that there are service and feature that can be completely disabled.. should you not need them for the particular configuration or use of the system but this all will vary from person to person and even between each system a person uses..

Damn :w00t: :o :o :o Thats quite a list heath, thank you. I did upgrade from Vista so kept all my progs and have quite a few or similar in your list. Some of them fly right over my head though :innocent:

No idea what these are

IIS 7.5 - Comes with your version but it is a component you must install..Good with Web Platform Installer.. BUT Conflict with the version of PHP for this and..

Apache HTTP Server... so you have to plan that out and use one or the other... ( still don't have my own forum running on this system.. )

Plone

Titan FTP Server

VibeStream

:tooth:

I used Yamicsoft on Vista the other day and ended up having to restore from a backup lol, and I thought I played it safe.Yes I have lots of bootable/recovery disks, as I use them quite often :doh:

Gives me a lot to research, thats for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah that section of the list are Webservers or servers that allow access to your media via Internet connect.. If you open Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows Features on/off.. there are a few programs you can uninstall.. and some you can install.. is where you will find IIS 7.5..just for info.. :)

I keep coming back to your post heath :)

Lets see :D

Ultimate Defrag CHECK, now using O&O

Yamicsoft Windows 7 Manager - But use care with some of the settings..( know what your doing by research if you question it )

WinASO

Acronis True Image with Plus Pack CHECK 2011 version on disk, no plus pack

7-Zip or WinRAR CHECK and CHECK

..Several options for Virtual Discs and Drives.. PowerISO, FarStone.. MagicISO, UltraISO.. on and on.. CFi even has Virtual Drive .. all work well.. CHECK Ultra Iso

HostsMan CHECK but removed as not sure what it does :lol:

cFos Speed CHECK can't believe I didn't do this sooner, easier than I expected

PeerBlock CHECK

Vidalia Bundle( Tor Project ) CHECK

Plone CHECK but removed as didn't understand it

Titan FTP Server

VibeStream

ID USB Lock Key

TruCrypt

AV/Spam/Firewall - Highly debatable but I use Eset Smart Security with settings combed through.. CHECK I,ve used many

HiJackThis! CHECK

Hitman Pro CHECK

Tenable Nessus Home Feed

Eraser by Heidi Computing ( using version 5.8.7 ) CHECK but a different eraser

SuperHashCalc 3

R-Studio Network Edition

Everest Ultimate Edition CHECK

Runboxx - Nice alternative and can be set to run as admin to begin with..also remembers commands and input

VirtualBox - Don't even worry about VirtualPC.. run Windows XP Mode Image in this ( plus you can have anything else you want inside Windows 7 including MacOSX )

VistaGlazz - lots of great Styles and Themes out there... for people who mod..

TrueTransparency

Stardock LogonStudio ( this was just SOOO easy .. ) CHECK

FastStone Capture

Rainmeter USED before, now gone

Serious Samurize

Litestep ( can get a little difficult on installation though for multiple accounts )

..some replacement files for MediaCenters as well ..complete mods..

Atomic Alarm Clock - Customizable skins and calendars..

Adobe Master Collection CS5 - Covers a lot of ground.. good apps.. Media and Code Dev.. Transcoding and Mastering.. HAD it all at one point, never used

FontManager X3

Axialis IconWorkshop - if you need a tool that is quick to create an icon or pull one out for any purpose..

ConvertAll!

Foxit Phantom

WinMerge

Microsoft Office 2010

CD Art Display

Winamp

MPC-HC ( comes with K-Lite Codec Pack Full which I feel is one of the best ) CHECK

SPlayer ( better looking alternative to MPC-HC with transparency support but greater on resources.. great if you have a system to handle it )

Firefox CHECK OF COURSE

Opera CHECK

SRWare Iron CHECK

IE7Pro for IE8..LOL..

Miranda IM - after you install all of the main apps.. use this one to centralize your accounts.. along with the fact that it can also be like the swiss army knife that FF is .. run servers.. weather.. encryption.. a ton of things you can do with it ( and it also can be made portable - great with PortableApps.com Platform 2 beta 5 )

uTorrent .. CHECK

K-Lite Codecs - like I mention above

Native Instruments Traktor Studio..

M-Audio Torq..

.. a few Sony Products in there...

Many I already had, but great list to come back to. MY Laptop is running better than ever :dance2:

Good to hear something positive somewhere today.. eww .. man I hate Mondays..

Yeah Plone is a tricky one.. once you install/compile.. then you have to run a buildout.. and configure and possibly run buildout again.. after a while your desktop looks like the Matrix Code and you don't even know who you are anymore.. scared my sister once.. I was doing the buildout and checking on connection stability and initiation due to some errors and new things I added.. with Wireshark.. she walks in I have Rainmeter and Samurize running two system monitoring configs ...and miles of code and logs running in three windows.. she was like.. ' I don't know what your doing I..... don't care.. I am just getting my purse....' SLAM... I think she has watched one too many movies...LOL.. just running buildout.... LOL

Plone is great though.. as a CMF/CMS.. A couple of good ones.. I found a couple the other day I thought where nice by design.. to really get into Plone you need to know Python.. I still don't .. BUT hopefully its coming along one day.. Still can run the server and manage it well.. after a year or so of digging and learning a little at a time..

All in a days work..LOL.. thats why its important to get it all worked out.. transition over to new OS can always be that way..

Archived