urgent, please read if can help with 'please wait' stall

anemones2

did Xp Repair.

My xp disc failed, so I got another original disc.

Worked fine, put in key fine.

Gets to XP screen after all installing and hangs.

I think it is because, it is expecting to have the activated files of the previous xp.

but doesn't so can't boot as not activated. but is the screen designed to boot for this process.

my query:

is there anything I can do. ie with shift + 10 at this point. ie a process in task manager I can end, to enable me to log on and then activate online.

? any suggestions, I don't want to have to reboot and break the cycle.

DId that before and when ever xp boots it has a misc desktop image before xp loads. into my desktop. annoying.

Any help welcome.

Any suggestions, any ideas I can try.

If I run taskmgr on this screen and then run explorer, safe mode similar screen runs, but with auto start ups like av .

maybe I could then activate and reboot?

though running explorer from this screen, will probably end up with same 'annoying' desktop pre load issue.

?_?

• Replies 2
  • Views 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmh the only way (no warranty what so ever) get ERD commander CD and try boot repair, else you'll get a chance to reach your files (hopefully) and then do a new /clean install

Maybe I am a little confused in following...

Tried to do a system recovery in XP, with original disc.. FAILED

Tried a second disc.. Fresh installation? if not then ..Why the key?

( Not for sure what your talking bout on the Desktop .. more explanation? Some of the descriptions of the events seem to be out of order makes it hard to follow what exactly IS happening .. )

First boot of XP will take awhile on some systems.. you have all of the configuration screens and stuff.. Now IF in fact you have done all of of this.. and you still have an issue.. Trying several boots may reveal a failing hard drive.. if reinstalling the OS never takes then you have an HD issue.. You may be able to repair the disc with one of several tools however.. It would still be advisable to look into getting a new HD.. a Nuke Boot Disc is good for some simple problems that can occur because of malformed aligned areas of the disc.. It actually is a Disc Shredder.. but in the process of overwriting the date in several passes.. it realigns it.. ( kind of odd but it works in some cases )..

One more point.. if the disc you have does not have the version of file your system was.. Like SP2/SP3.. then you may have issues with certain system files which could be causing the issue... One of the reasons that your disc may not have worked is due to a known issue when you update SP's.. where the installation directory can be indicated as being on a different drive or from a different installation source.. IF in fact you had an installation which was upgraded to an SP via download this IS most likely the case which triggered the problem with the original disc.. Not definite but could be.. particularly.. It gets confusing right there.. but truth of it is if ANYTHING.. is not matching up right there it could cause a problem..

I would get an external and pull what data you have that you want to keep off using a BootDisk like BartPE or something that has a file manager which will allow you to copy to other drives.. ( providing your version has USB drivers. or you can hook up another disc.. ).. Then I would wipe the drive .. Test it for failing Sectors.. all that... and try a fresh installation upgraded to all current Windows Updates and go from there.. ( There is also another way to pull data off using the Network.. but it requires soe ability to configure a webserver and put it on data which can be run after booting from BartPE.. )..

If I missed something in there.. let me know..

BTW: If your stuck on the last configuration screen.. try just doing a hard power off and restart the system and see if it doesn't just go the next time..

Archived