The PS3 jailbroken? USB hack allows homebrew, copied games

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

6dre3s.jpg

The PlayStation 3 has long been a popular plaything for modders due to the ability to run Linux on the hardware, a feature Sony has since removed, supposedly out of fear of software piracy. Unfortunately, it looks as if Sony is facing the worst-case scenario as a new product called "PS Jailbreak" claims to be able to unlock your system to allow game backups, custom firmware, and all other sorts of shenanigans.

Point, click, hack

The device is said to be simple to use, with nothing to install and no warranties to break by opening your hardware. It is also supposed to work on both older systems and the newer Slims. Simply connect the USB stick, follow the onscreen instructions, and soon you'll be able to dump PlayStation 3 games directly to your hard drive. These games are said to run faster than playing from the disc, and you no longer have to worry about placing the discs in the system to play. Convenient!

Ozmodchips has created a video to convince all the doubters out there and is currently taking preorders on the $150 product. Take a look.

The USB chip supposedly works with firmware 3.41, although it's likely that Sony is working on ways to disable it through the next firmware updates. This shouldn't be a problem, as the device is advertised to bypass forced firmware updates. You'll also be able to install and play homebrew applications, and it has also been reported that you can play online with your backups.

2m4r41w.jpg

While Sony will focus on the possibility of widespread piracy, this product—if it works as described—has many, many legitimate uses. Dump your games onto a roomy hard drive so you don't have to mess with discs. Write your own PlayStation 3 applications and use them on your system. Ignore the firmware updates you don't want. The latest volley in the war between Sony and hackers has been fired, and it's a big one.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hope there wont be a damn firmware update soon :rolleyes:

Then , this is just what i want ,

get the new ps3 320gig for this hack

$150 to just backup the disc onto the harddrive of the ps3. hmmm no thanks. if it is a normal usb stick with just software then that software can be copied and placed onto another stick. i judt dont see it costing $150 and was mass product. from china. dang dsi r4 chip less then $15

• Administrator

If the PS3 is Jailbroken, Can We Have Other OS Back?

If Sony's piracy safeguards have indeed fallen, perhaps Sony should bring back Other OS.

Although I never found much utility in Other OS, a Playstation 3 feature that could turn the console into a basic computer running Linux, my heart went out to people who used Other OS before Sony scrapped it.

Sony said it removed Other OS in March to "protect the integrity of the console," possibly because one hacker came too close to exploiting the feature in a way that would allow piracy. But now, OzModChips claims to have the first PS3 modchip on a USB stick. In theory, this allows people to play bootleg and homebrew games and make disc backups. Supposedly, it can also bypass firmware updates that Sony might use to banish the hack. If Sony's piracy safeguards have indeed fallen, I propose that Sony should bring back Other OS. After all, once the integrity of the console is lost, there's no point in protecting it at the expense of users who did no harm.

A typical argument against draconian anti-piracy measures goes like this: Such attempts are pointless, because they eventually fail, and the only people who suffer are paying customers who have to jump through hoops. That argument didn't apply to the Playstation 3, because it was rock solid against hackers for almost four years, and legitimate customers were none the wiser.

With the removal of Other OS, everything changed. A feature was lost, and now it appears that Sony's previously unhackable machine is defeated through unrelated means. I'm skeptical of OzModChips' solution, which costs $170, until it's verified by an independent source, but if it's legitimate, why should Sony pretend that removing Other OS keeps the Playstation 3′s integrity intact?

view.gif View: Original Article

Archived