Automated Backing Up

vin3e

Hello guys,

Back with another question to ask everyone. My company is looking for ways to automate the backing up process with little to no interaction. We are using a very primitive method where we still attach the HD and run a program which copies the selected data over.

We have only 5 computers in the office and would prefer the method to allow uploading onto an external server. Another problem is that we handle a lot of sensitive information from bank details to personal details and if we upload it to another server we would require all files to be compressed or encrypted to a very small extent.

Please any suggestions would be highly regarded and taken into account.

Regards,

Vince

• Replies 9
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just add another HDD and Acronis (many other are alike) can be set for automated back up

OK then- about £19 a month would get you some allocated space on a distant server, but no easy solution there then...

The owner could even setup a server at some location for their own use.. As far as programs are all concerned.. There are quite a few.. Now my point of consideration is in the events of uploading to a server 10's or even 100's of GB's of information if we are talking full drive image.. In my opinion.. while it sounds like a great idea.. I think you would be better off ( could be ) in using external devices... and locking them in a FireSafe, FireFile, off-site or even there ( your looking at protection of up to 50,000 degrees ) ... I mean you are talking about opening your information up to several vulnerabilities as well when sending it over the wire.. regardless.. there are always going to be considerations.. I would make that decision based on the least likely detrimental.. with lower risk factor.. Not to mention instead of taking possibly hours to complete.... along with other very important tasks and maintenance that needs to be run on the systems.. daily weekly and monthly... You are looking probably at an hour or two the first time.. and then depending on how you proceed from there.. maybe even less time.. ( and yes for all five ).. These back-ups can easily be scheduled to be an automated process..( easier to have one EHD per machine in some cases or even a Network drive providing properly secured network and systems exist )..

Anyway just a few thoughts..

EDIT: Just a side note.. You may also want to accompany each backup with SHA4-512 Hash Checksums to verify the files are unaltered and secure.. Prevents tampering and Data Theft/Loss which can go on for long periods of time without any knowledge.. It may stop it.. and It would have to be specialized to hack an encrypted backup.. ( some ) BUT .. its a great little thing to help.. used by the government in verification... ( also things like PGP Encryption Platform is great as well )..

Apart from purchase a safe... I understood none of the rest.. But I assure you that your efforts have not gone unrewarded. :D I mean... +REP!

Also.. How about just a system that we could just leave to do automatically... I think we only back up client data which abouts only into about 25 gigs. Our external HD usually takes about 45 mins.. But im guessing relying on the internet upload speed could take several hours!

Thanks guys! So with that GoodSync Pro Program all I need to tell my Director is to hire an FTP server to back up all the data onto.

1. Keep the HD as well as use server back up on FTP servers for ultimate backing up sources ... Just in case

2. Now all I need to do is learn what an FTP server is and how to link or use it!

Thanks guys! So with that GoodSync Pro Program all I need to tell my Director is to hire an FTP server to back up all the data onto.

1. Keep the HD as well as use server back up on FTP servers for ultimate backing up sources ... Just in case

2. Now all I need to do is learn what an FTP server is and how to link or use it!

In the veent that everything is lost. How easy it is to download all the data again?

Archived