Speed up my PC to the MAX!

AshTheGamer

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sl@pSh0ck™

You have a decent specs already, if you still want to speed it up , disable unused services and disable unnecessary startup programs.

If you haven't done so already defrag your hd. Worked wonders for me using Perfectdisk 11. The smart placement seemed to speed it up dramatically.

I would run and use Yamicsoft Windows 7 Manager.. to clean out Registry, Task Scheduler, and Cut down on the unnecessary services ( like mentioned above ). There is also Registry Defrag.. and several other options that I would research first before you make the changes.. Also the best way to optimize your Internet connection in 7 is to leave it alone.. next to using something like cFos Speed to do traffic shaping.. At Default the half-open limit connection has been removed.. and several other settings are already optimized. Using some optimizers will actually slow it down because it will change this to a definite number .. sometimes of which is lower that what it would be.. Keep your Hosts file as small as possible... and find one suite.. that works well for security and set it up right.Do not run services and install multiple versions of protection software..Having a secondary scanner like Hitman Pro is a good idea.. however it does not have a service nor change settings or run in the back ground all of the time.. Keep your number of Fonts down to a small number.. bloats the registry.. so only have what your going to use and make sure you have a Font Management software to aid in removing corrupted fonts and duplicate files.( Serif Font Manager X3 for example ) they can also allow you activate a font for use without an installation.. so you can use them from a repository instead..

Store your media, images and others files such as installation exe backups all on another EHD.. and make sure you are using the optimal placement on your drive ( as shown in the new Ultimate Defrag PDF file available at their site.. ) Keep it updated with Microsoft Updates and keep these elements maintained.. such as cleaning and defragging your registry and file system. This can be true of programs and junk files and folders.. Making sure your installations are clean.. this can take some time for ll of this the first and understanding what you want to do and what you don't.. but afterwards is a time saver and is basically SHOULD allow you to have the fastest system you can have.. Should hold true no matter what you have...

Anyway just some basics... Some of the other stuff like picking one program that works for the task.. and is best suited software can be a little harder.. but it is something you need to do.. incompatibility issues.. and resources hogs ( badly written in some cases ) need to be replaced with better programs.. and even add-ons and extensions within programs and their settings..

A long hosts file will slow down the PC? I use it for adblocking on Chromium and Opera.

A long hosts file will slow down the PC? I use it for adblocking on Chromium and Opera.

Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine.

Source: MVPS Hosts File

Thanks Night Owl. Nice piece of info that seems to work fine.

Yeah when SpyBot adds in its immunization.. you notice a slow down.. incomparable protection ( unless discussing HostsMan - useful for management of several Hosts files, backup, some great features )BUT does slow down connection speeds and loading times..can also ramp up system resources in some cases.. I have seen some Hosts files with over 32,000 entries.. border-lining on timeouts.. something to keep in mind..

They actually make an AdBlock Extension for Chromium based browsers now.. I use it in everything from 7 - XP and Linux..Everything in between ( in SRWare Iron of course.. LOL ), and for SRware there is also an adblock.ini file which can be added. Opera can also have filtering individually.. and for overall system PeerBlock and the necessary filters can be used..

NOW..

I forgot to mention or clarify one thing.. One very useful tool at everyone's disposal is found by hitting the Windows Key and typing Event - This should give you the Event Viewer.. Once this is open and make take some time on some systems.. Go to Windows Logs.. Go through each of those logs and look for Warnings ( Yellow ) and Errors ( Red ). This can help aid you ( through research online as well ) to find faulting programs and system problems ( including Services ) which can be slowing down your system.

You can also hit the Windows Key.. type performance, then select Performance Information and Tools.. This window will then open and you will have an Advanced Tools Link on the left.. At the bottom of that screen will be a 'Generate a System Health Report' link.. This will create a window which will scan for issues that you can resolve to get better performance from your system.. with help and instructions on what to do.. ( Also there may be an easier way to get there.. LOL.. but this is how I did .. )

Thanks Night Owl. Nice piece of info that seems to work fine.

Yeah when SpyBot adds in its immunization.. you notice a slow down.. incomparable protection ( unless discussing HostsMan - useful for management of several Hosts files, backup, some great features )BUT does slow down connection speeds and loading times..can also ramp up system resources in some cases.. I have seen some Hosts files with over 32,000 entries.. border-lining on timeouts.. something to keep in mind..

They actually make an AdBlock Extension for Chromium based browsers now.. I use it in everything from 7 - XP and Linux..Everything in between ( in SRWare Iron of course.. LOL ), and for SRware there is also an adblock.ini file which can be added. Opera can also have filtering individually.. and for overall system PeerBlock and the necessary filters can be used..

NOW..

I forgot to mention or clarify one thing.. One very useful tool at everyone's disposal is found by hitting the Windows Key and typing Event - This should give you the Event Viewer.. Once this is open and make take some time on some systems.. Go to Windows Logs.. Go through each of those logs and look for Warnings ( Yellow ) and Errors ( Red ). This can help aid you ( through research online as well ) to find faulting programs and system problems ( including Services ) which can be slowing down your system.

You can also hit the Windows Key.. type performance, then select Performance Information and Tools.. This window will then open and you will have an Advanced Tools Link on the left.. At the bottom of that screen will be a 'Generate a System Health Report' link.. This will create a window which will scan for issues that you can resolve to get better performance from your system.. with help and instructions on what to do.. ( Also there may be an easier way to get there.. LOL.. but this is how I did .. )

Many thanks heath28m for your post. I discovered new forms of getting more from my old PC.

I would like to know... for Win XP users... There's any "Performance Information and Tools" like Win 7? There's any good alternative.

Best regards and thank you in advance.

I will have to boot up in XP in VirtualBox and see.. but I think.. I could be wrong here.. That the same elements exist in XP... there just isn't like an easy way to get to it.. but you do have Performance monitors and so on.. I just have to see where at exactly.. amazing what you forget in just 6 months.. ( and what you learn..LOL - positive.. finding positive.. :) ) Will post back in a few.. :thumbsup:

OH and I know for a fact the Event Viewer is there.. That I do know..

EDIT: Okay I am back... Its not really as articulated as Windows 7..LOL.. In fact as I remember most of what I had to do with it was all by hand.. I did however.... Use the Registry Cleaners and Defraggers and all of the stuff I mentioned above.. Drivers and other issues I 'did by hand' or 'trial and error'.. That the part where you want someone who knows what they are doing..

There is a Yamicsoft Program for XP as well.. and a program called 'TUT' for short - The Ultimate Troubleshooter.. Good program.. can help you weed out a few things.. but then again its an assist.. for some things.. tweaking XP is more of being knowledgeable about how you or the individual is going to use it specifically and what they won't be.. so some of it gets into a gray area.. and having a program state a standard is irresponsible of all considerable factors..

So simply put the more you now about your system the better..( also in what your turning off and on.. ) Mine used to run with the basics.. Programs and Features which required services where always switched to manual instead of automatic startup.. Nothing unnecessary ... Startup was clean.. and if I wanted something to run I could start it.. some would rarely be used but others were different.. but it is a basic guideline to go back.. though t sounds 'idiofied' there seems to be a lot of areas that get missed.. along with faulty service entries.. files which are indicated in the registry which no longer exist and even newer drivers which were not meant for older hardware or supporting OS/Infrastructure ( if you want to call it that )... You always have to keep in mind to that somethings just will not happen.. like making HD Video run smoothly on a 64 MB Video Card.. You can do a lot of things to try.. but it just won't..

You have things to keep in mind..

1. Security - Don't compromise and do a system assessment with something like Tenable Nessus - Home Feed ( I don't care what protection you have or what devices..

2. Resources - Clearing as much of your resources as possible.. the more you have available the better..

3. Efficiency - Four programs to do one thing isn't going to work.. Bloat..services.. black-hole forming.......

4. Maintenance and usage...You know what your optimizing and what your doing on your system ( Providing it is secured and someone else isn't also..LOL ) You should know by now how they are deigned to run .. turn on/off.. no kicking, headbanging, beating, shocking, throwing.... No long soaks in the pool.. from the 10th floor.. ( though I do recommend the occasional .50 Cal.. LOL ) - Anyway .. point being you should know when and how often to change these settings and maintain the areas of your system that you should.. ( sometimes by learning what areas you should optimize or be aware of ) .. being that installations /uninstallations file movements.. all of these factors CAN effect the simplest of areas ( which there is extensive information and research online about ).. which can give or take huge gains.. and convenience ..

I will have to boot up in XP in VirtualBox and see.. but I think.. I could be wrong here.. That the same elements exist in XP... there just isn't like an easy way to get to it.. but you do have Performance monitors and so on.. I just have to see where at exactly.. amazing what you forget in just 6 months.. ( and what you learn..LOL - positive.. finding positive.. :) ) Will post back in a few.. :thumbsup:

OH and I know for a fact the Event Viewer is there.. That I do know..

EDIT: Okay I am back... Its not really as articulated as Windows 7..LOL.. In fact as I remember most of what I had to do with it was all by hand.. I did however.... Use the Registry Cleaners and Defraggers and all of the stuff I mentioned above.. Drivers and other issues I 'did by hand' or 'trial and error'.. That the part where you want someone who knows what they are doing..

There is a Yamicsoft Program for XP as well.. and a program called 'TUT' for short - The Ultimate Troubleshooter.. Good program.. can help you weed out a few things.. but then again its an assist.. for some things.. tweaking XP is more of being knowledgeable about how you or the individual is going to use it specifically and what they won't be.. so some of it gets into a gray area.. and having a program state a standard is irresponsible of all considerable factors..

So simply put the more you now about your system the better..( also in what your turning off and on.. ) Mine used to run with the basics.. Programs and Features which required services where always switched to manual instead of automatic startup.. Nothing unnecessary ... Startup was clean.. and if I wanted something to run I could start it.. some would rarely be used but others were different.. but it is a basic guideline to go back.. though t sounds 'idiofied' there seems to be a lot of areas that get missed.. along with faulty service entries.. files which are indicated in the registry which no longer exist and even newer drivers which were not meant for older hardware or supporting OS/Infrastructure ( if you want to call it that )... You always have to keep in mind to that somethings just will not happen.. like making HD Video run smoothly on a 64 MB Video Card.. You can do a lot of things to try.. but it just won't..

You have things to keep in mind..

1. Security - Don't compromise and do a system assessment with something like Tenable Nessus - Home Feed ( I don't care what protection you have or what devices..

2. Resources - Clearing as much of your resources as possible.. the more you have available the better..

3. Efficiency - Four programs to do one thing isn't going to work.. Bloat..services.. black-hole forming.......

4. Maintenance and usage...You know what your optimizing and what your doing on your system ( Providing it is secured and someone else isn't also..LOL ) You should know by now how they are deigned to run .. turn on/off.. no kicking, headbanging, beating, shocking, throwing.... No long soaks in the pool.. from the 10th floor.. ( though I do recommend the occasional .50 Cal.. LOL ) - Anyway .. point being you should know when and how often to change these settings and maintain the areas of your system that you should.. ( sometimes by learning what areas you should optimize or be aware of ) .. being that installations /uninstallations file movements.. all of these factors CAN effect the simplest of areas ( which there is extensive information and research online about ).. which can give or take huge gains.. and convenience ..

Thank you very much. I appreciate all information that you give to me or someone else who's reading this post.

I think, if you want a system running at it's max speed you must spend some time on it because Entrophy makes ALL systems in the world (powerful or not so powerful) degrade it's performance since it was new brand one.

Some people likes to do the task mentioned above (and many others... for sure) himself/herself because this people has a little knowing of IT. In the other hand, they prefer to use 'SUITES' to do automatically this tasks... I mean... security suites... system maintenance suites... and so on. Which it's better? It depends on the taste of the user and there are a lot of web pages suggesting which it's the best. Well... If you're in doubt which one do you want then look at nsanedown categories... and choose the one do you want then look at the column labeled 'Pick' This is the election made by nsane staff then you should consider to choose this or not. It's always your decision.

Maybe this last paragraph it's knowing by the majority of people at nsanedown but always there are newbies who can benefit of this kind of information.

Best regards.

This is true... I know a lot of people who actually get pulled in by some sort of hype or trend to use a certain form of service and add-on or toolbar.. but truth of the matter is .. You should learn and know what your doing to your computer and what that means.. sometimes as simple as looking up definitions in the Wikipedia can help.. Without this knowledge you have a domino effect of issues that can arise.. and reversing it for various reasons is out of the question leading to un-needed re-installs and so on.. It also helps with these considerations in knowing what your doing when maintaining them..

Nothing against the site or their choices.. but it always.. no matter where your at.. advisable to be knowledgeable enough to make a sound decision.. rather it be by trial and error.. ( which I think leads most recommendations that are without financial or fringe benefits effecting them.. like paid advertising.. so on ) I mean when I first started out.. I would not have know how to F3 and search my Registry myself to clean an entry .. or even which one to clean and why.. Now I do.. but I still use a tool to automate the task.. LOL..

Totally agree though..

• 2 weeks later...

Two options guaranteed to speed up your system. (Sorry if it was mentioned before)

1) Download a tiny version of windows:

Microxp( wayyy tooo small, and has problems installing drivers on occasion)

Tinyxp (best choice)

TinyVista (not the greatest)

Tiny7 (2nd best choice)

That, or switch to linux.

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

You can always download a Windows 7 version that has already has some things taken out for less resource consumption like elohelomg said. But since I see from your sentences that you aren't really a experienced pc user when it comes to this topic I suggest you don't want some Windows features taken out before you even know what they are used for and do you really need them or not. So going manually is the way to go, except various cleaner softwares which most of them are pretty safe atm.

I personally use Ccleaner atm with the ccenhancer extension. Can be found here on nsane. And yes I recommend jvpowertools as a registry cleaner. pure win

As registry cleaners never give any real performance improvement I still recommend you periodically clean your registry of all the crap that can be found there especially after uninstalling software.

So I also recommend RevoUninstaller to clean the leftover traces of uninstalled software, so you keep your system as clean as possible.

Head to Blackviper's page if you want to disable some unneeded services. The page is well documented explaining the various services. link here

On his page I also recommend checking out his "supertweaks" which cover the most important things you maybe want to disable if you want. Imho I recommend not disabling System restore aka. System protection as it can get very usefull if your system fails. link here

As many previous posts cover, don't fill your system with software you don't really need. I see always, ALL the time on computer of my friends, colleagues etc lots of programs they never use, or have 3 programs for the same job. Don't do that, it's uneeded. Many will tell you install this and that because it's better. Make your own opinion what suites you best, what you really need, what you don't.

For disabling startup items use Autoruns, just google it, it's in the sysinternals suite which can be found here on nsane too.

I haven't really covered much aspects of this topic, as it is a huge topic. But I think this info others and me have presented will be enough for you atm. Enjoy and be carefull ;)

edit: give perfectdisk a try, I got addicted to it defragmenting whenever i'm bored and watching the program arranging the colorful quadrant's :s

Archived