Suggestions for a file shredding/erasing software

Levo

Hi,well,What file shredder wud u suggest &actually use.

Want it to hav-:

small foot print

fast

fully x64 bit

integrate with explorer

not keep on asking too many ques for the job?

Does not hang the system with large files.

I am using Win 7 ultimate x64 bit.

Another query ,does the the life span of the drive deteriorate with frequent use of shredders/permanent delete tools?

• Replies 8
  • Views 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

You are increasing the number of writes/ reads on your hard drive, thus you are likely to be reducing its life.

My question is though; is there a need to "overwrite" your deleted files?

One free tool i know of is File Shredder, not sure it fills all your requirements. Eraser is a tool i've used in the past.

You are increasing the number of writes/ reads on your hard drive, thus you are likely to be reducing its life.

My question is though; is there a need to "overwrite" your deleted files?

One free tool i know of is File Shredder, not sure it fills all your requirements. Eraser is a tool i've used in the past.

So u are sayin a simple delete is ok, hav experience with eraser during xp days,it used to hang a lot.Tried o&o safe erase with vista,quite handy but with win 7 its a 50mb monster,thats a bit too much.i need it more for wiping out pen drives 4-8 gb size(mostly text&ppt files from work),usbs are shared a lot at my work place.i'll try the new eraser.thanks

Eraser is the way to go! (my $0.02c)

PS under no circumstance interrupt shredding (Tip)

Dban and wpiedisk also good but its only to wipe all the HDD

RadioActive

01.) CCleaner (my preferred one - though used not for shredding but merely cleaning.)

Actually, CCleaner can function as a shredder by activating the proper option in the settings.

Yeah thats the problem,there are too many to chose from.Using eraser now.On a different note i do like the ccleaner,its a pretty good tool,but these days too many softwares are tryin to do too many things by being bundled as multipurpose suites.Again ccleaner is just an example,do hav it myself.At times u end up with 2 or three software doin the same thing on ur hard drive.They may all be effective but really dampen the user experience and ergonomics.Shredders being case in point where every thing from ur-uninstaller to Kaspersky pure has this feature but some how require too many steps &explorer windows to go thru.may be its me but i think its the case with most software features from backup to file transfer to downloaders to windows optimizers.Just a thought,thank u all guys for ur inputs.

Archived