VirtualBox Issues

HX1

I recently was building my VirtualBox OSes and getting them all set-up... I was fine with Ubuntu, XP Pro, and 7 Ultimate... I got to Vista Ultimate SP1, used an install disc which I have had for sometime. The disk itself works fine on regular systems as well.. I configured the machine to use the Host IDE Secondary Slave CD/DVD and installed Vista to the 60 GB VDI from my System CD/DVD. Everything went well.. and was using around 6 GB of the VHD. System was configured to have 512 MB RAM, 1 Processor, 2 USB Filters with ability to use Host Devices ( disabled until needed ), IDE Primary and Secondary ( Tried to do SATA for some reason ), and 32 MB Video... Next I install the Guest Additions.. I get a warning that I need to upgrade the VB Driver.. I ignored it and went on.. ( since it is most recent ). Next I run Windows Update and go for 89 Important an 1 Optional Update.. I download them.. my drive started to grow suddenly from 6 - 9 and finally 14 GB in size. The VDI was on an Iomega which was FAT32 and reformatted to NTFS... Once the size had grown, the VM started to freeze my system and my EHD's light would go off ( probably not in that order ).. I have to do a hard shutdown and then reboot Windows 7.. and this has been tried twice.. it only happens when the size of the HD grows after running Windows updates - VSS, and System Restore is off.. and so is Hibernate .. shouldn't be large size due to that either.. I also tried to move this file from my HD to the EHD and after a few GB were actually copied in some cases a few hundred MB; it froze the system and the light would go out again on the EHD.. All other installations are under 7GB in size..

SO.. big question here....

Is this being caused by a bad format on my EHD from FAT32 to NTFS.. causing a file size limitation and issues? ( Which should not exist with NTFS ) A hardware limitation of my EHD peripherals? Is this a limitation of VirtualBox? A limitation of Vista in not having the requirements met.. and crashing the VHD, corrupting it in some way? Just very curious as to what a resolution to the issue would be or if any of you have any experience with it to actually be able to say which and what action if any would.. or possibly what is causing it.. Settings or otherwise. ( TBH... I could do without Vista, but I should have a VM atleast... probably ) I have abandoned it until I figure something out.. and ultimately it would seem I would be okay with an SP2 Integrated installation.. ( if it doesn't bloat to 14 GB ) - but this is also like a lame hobbling way of getting there without possibly facing the actual problem..

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention that when I install Winamp, the pmp'____'.dll files have to be removed from the installation or I get the same exact result when navigating the file system and listening to music or accessing the file on the EHD at the same time.. ( Weird I know but it works for some reason )

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay so I think I have the real reason that is actually causing a problem.. I believe it how my MOBO is made and its age.. I can unplug my other EHD and USB Devices and all is fine for large files.. but access it with several programs at once and with several devices and you get lock down.. ( May also have something to do with my Data Protection as well..) not for sure but it looks like I know what is causing it.. I did successfully install Vista Ultimate SP2 with an ISO image mounted in the machine from the same drive.. without a problem.. and all is well ... Using my System CD/DVD Drive doesn't seem to be a good idea..

NOW.. I have found several tutorials about installing MacOSX on/in VirtualBox.. My system however does not support Hardware Acceleration and there is no place to turn it on in the BIOS.. This isn't needed for other OSes.. I have Snow Leopard.. on both DMG and ISO.. and have tried to install but get an error.. before it even finishes loading the ISO..

Does anyone know which version of MacOSX will not require Hardware Acceleration.. or if this is even possible to do without it?

Yes actually I ran and checked the disk... It seems that somehow using ALL of my USB ports at the same time causes my system to freeze.. something shared between my USB Ports and my CD/DVD Drive... Odd but isn't completely crazy.. I mean I could and understand it.. being that its older..

But yes.. ran Check Disk and checked drive health with Hiren's Boot Disk or one of those... Did the same thing in Safe Mode.... Temperature here has been getting way over the 100's ( F ) too and seems to be around the times I start to have issues as well.. I stood it up to get better ventilation away from the HD inside.. ( has a little stand, metal outside gets very warm to the touch, seems to hold on to the heat some..maybe making it unstable )

• Administrator

Could be a case of exceeding the power available for USB. Trying just having the minimum amount of devices plugged in.

Is this a USB powered or mains powered drive?

The USB Flash Drive have is powered by USB.. The other two EHD's have their own power supply in the wall... Its very strange though.. the minute I hit the power button on my laptop the light comes back on... without hitting the power switch on the drive or anything.. ( The other one is one of those button less ones that goes off after so long on its own...sleep mode and all that.. ) And see thats the thing.. on a fresh start with no other devices plugged in.. it seems to work fine as long as I don't do anything else on the computer and just lets it have complete resources and everything... It did it the other day when I was trying to defrag the 7GB ISO file for Snow Leopard as well..

Archived