UPDATING BIOS

Djurba

Hey guys , what s up ? I dont know is this a right place to start topic , but heh . I hope that is not so important. Anyway i have problem with my laptop which is older one , Compaq Evo N1020v , intel 4 2,4 ghz , 256 RAM ,BIOS version my bios version is Phoenix 0F08, 11/02/03. my dvd drive stop to working , and i cant replaced it , no way that I can find it anywhere, some computer technicians even told me that i will have to order it from foreign countries . But i have external dvd drive which works good, but main problem is my OS which is queit damaged , working very ,very slow , i tried multiple methods ,defrag,. , reg clean, stoping some services , but no improvement in speed, only way is fresh install of some moded slim XP . And there is a problem , i cant boot up windows on external dvd drive, no way , i tried every option in BIOS , but no solution, in boot options in bios i have cd-rom drive (which not works) , hard drive, network boot, and removable device, i set it to boot from removable device , but nothin is happening , i dont know what to do , i heard somewhere that updating of bios can solve some of this solutions , or not ?Or is there some another solution ? i dont know really . and what is a option network boot ? any help would be apprecieate .

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just some thoughts:

1. Could you borrow another internal CD/DVD drive from someone? You don't have to have the exact same brand and model, just one with the same connector. It sounds like your PC would have an IDE/ATA connector instead of the newer SATA connector.
  2. Maybe you could create a new small partition on your hard drive and install Windows XP from their into your original, larger partition. When you're done, you could remove the new small partition.

Just some thoughts:

1. Could you borrow another internal CD/DVD drive from someone? You don't have to have the exact same brand and model, just one with the same connector. It sounds like your PC would have an IDE/ATA connector instead of the newer SATA connector.
  2. Maybe you could create a new small partition on your hard drive and install Windows XP from their into your original, larger partition. When you're done, you could remove the new small partition.

I thought that OS can only be installed from bootable CD-DVD.I am a computer noob . Pls can u explain me how to install OS from small partition , i know how to create partition btw . lol .

i set it to boot from removable device , but nothin is happening , i dont know what to do , i heard somewhere that updating of bios can solve some of this solutions , or not ?

Updating the BIOS does solve some problems. However, doing it (in your case) will not facilitate the booting of external USB devices - this is not a BIOS issue. Try replacing your USB port - it belongs to an older lineage of hardware. :(

How to replace USB port , dont know anything about that , this is a first time that i have laptop , this was a some sort of gift .

I thought that OS can only be installed from bootable CD-DVD.I am a computer noob . Pls can u explain me how to install OS from small partition , i know how to create partition btw . lol .

The Windows XP CD holds at most 700 MB of data, but it's probably a bit less than that. Something like the XP Pro Performance Edition posted here earlier is only about 338 MB in size. But to have room for temporary files, let's say you make your new small D: partition about 2 or 3 GB to be safe. (Change D: to whatever letter you want to call it.).

From your current Windows XP, you could copy the Windows XP files on your CD from your working external DVD drive and copy these files to your new D: partition. Couldn't you then run setup.exe from your new D: partition and wipe clean Windows XP on your original C: partition? I haven't tried this before. Tell setup to install Windows XP into your original C: partition.

Let's not make this complicated guys. Does you external drive works while you are running Windows? If yes, just start new installation while existing Windows is running by executing setup.exe from xp cd. Instead of Upgrade option, choose New installation. There is no need for any new partition.

Cheers ;)

OK, good to know that installing XP over itself will keep the external USB CD/DVD drive still active.

I'm not sure if it will keep it active, but I'm sure that Windows Setup will first copy setup files on hard disk and continue from there. Only option not available here is to format disk, but XP Setup will wipe everything from disk if chosen.

Let's not make this complicated guys. Does you external drive works while you are running Windows? If yes, just start new installation while existing Windows is running by executing setup.exe from xp cd. Instead of Upgrade option, choose New installation. There is no need for any new partition.

Cheers ;)

I folowed your instuctions and succeeded , but it was some strange instalation . Setup first had copied files and then restarted , and propmpt me to install it on partition D , previous windows was on C.But i had to use untouched version of windows xp , because moded versions like performance edition dont have setup icon , only can be booted , but no problem i will apply tones of tweaks . When instalation was finished , then i can saw 2 windows on my laptop, and i formated C disk , now I can again try to install it , I hope that setup will propmt to install it on C partition . :D . Nvm , anyway thanks on help mara, Zvezda !!!

OK, but it's strange that it prompted to install to D. You couldn't choose C? I recently installed WIndows on one laptop which didn't have CD or DVD drive. But it had only C drive and installed fine.

Zvezda forever!!! :D

Cheers ;)

OK, but it's strange that it prompted to install to D. You couldn't choose C? I recently installed WIndows on one laptop which didn't have CD or DVD drive. But it had only C drive and installed fine.

Zvezda forever!!! :D

Cheers ;)

Yap , only D was to choose , no C , this OS now is behaving strangely , I am considering to throw laptop in trash . :frusty:

. . . . . . . . . . . . this OS now is behaving strangely , I am considering to throw laptop in trash . :frusty:

:o Why so?

edit:-

What's the problem with the new OS?

Actually I am not able to format C disk where is previous version of windows , when I said that I formated actually it was in process ,I thought that it will gonna format it . I right click on C disk , format , then it start to formating , and when the green scale comes all to the end then message prompts up : windows is not able to format disk. I tried multiple times. ZZZ . How can I solve that ?

Try to format it in Safe Mode.

Cheers ;)

I tried , same again , Windows is unable to complete format. . Any other solution ? :frusty:

You can delete your volume at disk management then try to re-allocate it

it should do a new format ,for the selected volume

How ?!

right click on my computer >> manage >> go to disk management >>select the drive you want to format

delete it >> then you will have un-located space (your deleted volume )

You can delete your volume at disk management then try to re-allocate it

it should do a new format ,for the selected volume

How ?!

right click on my computer >> manage >> go to disk management >>select the drive you want to format

delete it >> then you will have un-located space (your deleted volume )

I tried that before , option delete partition is not available

Actually I am not able to format C disk where is previous version of windows , when I said that I formated actually it was in process ,I thought that it will gonna format it . I right click on C disk , format , then it start to formating , and when the green scale comes all to the end then message prompts up : windows is not able to format disk. I tried multiple times. ZZZ . How can I solve that ?

Try this:-

01.) Partition an extra volume (for example F:\) preferably with DiskDirector

02.) Mark F:\ volume as 'Primary' and also 'active" (very important)

03.) Mark your C:\ volume as 'inactive' (very important)

04.) Run your XP Pro SetUp from within C:\ and point the fresh OS installation drive choice at F:\

05.) On reboot, installation will latch on to F:\ (let it do it's stuff - XP Pro boots a number of times)

06.) Post installation, use DiskDirector to format your C:\ from within F:\

07.) Use DiskDirector to increase space on F:\ by taking it from C:\

08.) Use DiskDirector to change your drive letter from F:\ to C:\ (after deleting your previous C:\, if required)

ok i will try later, now I have to go out on sungazing . Will post u feedback when I am done . Anyway thank s to everyone on help. nsane down is really great community.

I can only sings lyrics from Doors to my laptop. The end . This is the end my dear friend . :dance2: :dance2: . I installed DiskDirector , nice software btw , when I started it saw that I can delete C partiion , i clicked delete it and DIsdirector deleted it , i was very happy , i thougt that now i can join unalocatted space to D disk , but when I start to do that , reboot was requierd and after reboot I cant boot up windows , now I can only see black screen and message OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND !!!! :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: i am a fuckin plonker

I can only sings lyrics from Doors to my laptop. The end . This is the end my dear friend . :dance2: :dance2: . I installed DiskDirector , nice software btw , when I started it saw that I can delete C partiion , i clicked delete it and DIsdirector deleted it , i was very happy , i thougt that now i can join unalocatted space to D disk , but when I start to do that , reboot was requierd and after reboot I cant boot up windows , now I can only see black screen and message OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND !!!! :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: i am a fuckin plonker

When you deleted your C: partition, I'm pretty sure you deleted your Windows boot loader. The Windows boot loader is on your primary (C:) partition, even though you may have Windows installed on other (extended, non-primary) partitions. I have some links to help you re-create the boot loader on your primary partition, but since you only have an external CD/DVD drive and no internal drive, I don't think this will be of any help. :(

Link 1: How To Repair or Replace Boot.ini in Windows XP

Link 2: How to Reinstall XP Bootloader

Link 3: [HOW TO] Get back your Windows XP Bootloader

When you deleted your C: partition, I'm pretty sure you deleted your Windows boot loader. The Windows boot loader is on your primary (C:) partition, even though you may have Windows installed on other (extended, non-primary) partitions. I have some links to help you re-create the boot loader on your primary partition, but since you only have an external CD/DVD drive and no internal drive, I don't think this will be of any help. :(

Link 1: How To Repair or Replace Boot.ini in Windows XP

Link 2: How to Reinstall XP Bootloader

Link 3: [HOW TO] Get back your Windows XP Bootloader

I give up . Tomorrow I will see does laptops know how to fly

Archived