My PC Resumed from Hibernation for No Reason

Night Owl

My laptop PC was on earlier this morning around 8:30 AM (the lid was closed, yet the display was on). This was strange because I put it into Hibernate mode just after 2 AM. Looking in Event Viewer, the only two events that seem to be of interest are:

1) 07/16/2010 2:05:43 AM Source: Kernel-Power Event ID: 42 Task Category: (64)

The system is entering sleep. <-- It was Hibernate mode

Sleep Reason: Application API

2) 07/16/2010 3:57:22 AM Source: Power-Troubleshooter Event ID: 1 Task Category: (None)

The system has resumed from sleep.

Sleep Time: ‎2010‎-‎07‎-‎16T06:05:37.567332000Z <-- subtract 4 hours for local time

Wake Time: ‎2010‎-‎07‎-‎16T07:57:20.247203100Z <--subtract 4 hours for local time

Wake Source: Unknown

Does anyone know why this would happen? I checked my Windows Update settings, but it is still set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them". No Windows Updates were installed.

EDIT: I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops, OK I updated my first post with my version of Windows (Windows 7 Ultimate x64).

I checked my Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN now, but "Allow this device to wake the computer" is grayed out and not checked. My Sony VAIO is not connected to my Gigabit Ethernet Controller ("Allow this device to wake the computer" is not checked", but "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" is checked and grayed out). Both my "Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)" and "Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)" say under "Power data":

PDCAP_WAKE_FROM_D0_SUPPORTED

PDCAP_WAKE_FROM_D1_SUPPORTED

PDCAP_WAKE_FROM_D2_SUPPORTED

OK, thanks. I'll read the link you provided.

In the link, Step 4 "To See what had Waken Up Windows Last" says to open a command prompt and enter the command powercfg lastwake. I did that, but this is all I see:

powercfg lastwake

Wake History Count - 1

Wake History [0]

Wake Source Count - 0

So this would seem to agree with Event Viewer that said "Wake Source: Unknown"

EDIT: And Step 5 "To List Devices that Can Wake Up the Computer" shows nothing.

Also, I checked Task Scheduler, but it shows nothing happened in the last 24 hours.

Well, I had the same problem. Issue was with my wireless keyboard on Desktop PC, but you are using laptop. But, you may try it anyway. Go to bios and see if you can disable you keyboard and mouse to wake up the laptop. Check this in device manager, too.

Cheers ;)

My laptop's keyboard and TouchPad don't have settings in Device Manager to wake up my PC.

I issued the command powercfg -devicequery wake_armed, but nothing shows up. This means there are no devices currently configured to wake the system from any sleep state. I'll check my BIOS though when I next reboot.

Thanks for the help. :) This is looking like a very isolated but mysterious incident.

Eureka and hallelujah!! I finally figured out what is causing my laptop to resume from hibernation!! :dance2:

I started using Windows Media Center recently because I'm using my new AVerMedia AVerTV Hybrid Volar MAX USB stick for HDTV, Analog TV, and Radio. I saw this task in the Task Scheduler:

Name: mcupdate_scheduled

Description: Check for Media Center updates.

Trigger: Daily

Details: At 3:57 AM every day

Conditions:

Power:

"Wake the computer to run this task" was checked!!

3:57 AM is exactly when my Sony VAIO woke up from hibernation. Grrrrrrrrr. Bad Microsoft. :spank:

• Administrator

I was going to suggest looking through the Task Scheduler/ your other software as they can be setup to wake up/ not allow your computer to "fall asleep".

Nice to hear you tracked down the source of this problem ;)

I looked in the Task Scheduler early on, but it said that for the last 24 hours that nothing had run. It turns out that Microsoft defaults to disabling all tasks history. Is it good practice to "Enable All Tasks History" in Task Scheduler or is there a good reason why Microsoft leaves this disabled?

• Administrator

I enable this option without issues. I guess its something to do with the "average joe" not messing things up?

I was going to suggest looking through the Task Scheduler/ your other software as they can be setup to wake up/ not allow your computer to "fall asleep".

Nice to hear you tracked down the source of this problem ;)

Lies! I thought no one uses hibernation anymore. Just stick it on standby.

I enable this option without issues. I guess its something to do with the "average joe" not messing things up?

OK thanks. I've clicked on "Enable All Tasks History" and I'll see how much information is stored over the next few days and weeks.

I don't think the average Joe even knows about the Task Scheduler. Maybe the average IT Joe. :)

Hmmm, I just checked my Task Scheduler log and I already got an entry for RacTask. No description at all. :blink: I had to Google it to find that it provides input to the Reliability Monitor. No wonder Microsoft disables the Task Scheduler log file by default.

Just a note here.. but if you were cleaning out Tasks, I would use Yamicsoft's Windows 7 Manager ( The Task Scheduler Manager inside ) . I actually get mouse-over descriptions... and can easily disable and optimize the Tasks. The first time will be labor intensive as there seem to be hundreds of them.. but afterwards, it is very much so worth it.. TBH..

Archived