ShutDown Laggage/ Defragment

SacredCultivator

SacredCultivator

@Lite- Nope I use a 8500LE Radeon =X

@Snake- Checking when I fidn the time will give you the news when done.

• Replies 46
  • Views 25.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

There goes idea number one..... lets try a few others.

Note: Backup your registry (just incase....) before starting.

Both ideas need some knowledge of registry editing.

Easiest thing to do is to open regedit (Start > Run > Regedit)

Maybe a service or application takes some time attempting to shutdown? Lets decrease the timeout.... this may help.

Navigate over to....

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control

Set this to 1000

Maybe your pagefile (for some random reason...) is deleted at shutdown?

Check out:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

Check: ClearPageFileAtShutdown

Make sure its set to 0 (hexdecimal)

SacredCultivator

Edited those entries... and just awaiting to shut down... Will give results when done =P, Thanks.

Edit- Finally... Haha it worked now my ShutDown is back to normal... Not sure if it was the AntiVirus or the Reg Tweaks.. but either way it worked. Thanks a bunch Lite + Snake

SacredCultivator

I use a 'less known' one called BitDefender 8 Professional... Not sure if it is good or anything but oh well.

• Administrator

Bitdefender is a fine app..... you'll be suprised actually how well known it is.

Bitdefender didnt (atleast during my testing of it...) slow down my shutdown *that much*

SacredCultivator

OH.. Heh I got it from some site that reviwed programs and ranked them and it was ranked number 1 so I thought I would try it out.

• Administrator

Out of intrest (if you can remember) was your page file previously set to delete at shutdown?

SacredCultivator

By set to delete you mean from Right Click>Properties>etc. on My Computer? Or from a program.. Because before I used the risky Page File thingy mine was set on the recommended which was min + max of 1534. Not sure if that is good or not.. But now as of that risk it is at 50-50... But if you think too much of a risk what should I put it on? I have 1GB of RAM if that is helpful.

No, she means if you had the hexdecimal value set to 1 meaning set to delete page file and shutdown.

SacredCultivator

Ooo... Nvm yeah it was at 1, why?

Guest Hocus

all THAT registry stuff ? :lol: now im so confused

ok mine is set to 0 as well , just checked.

thanks

i did the paging file trick that one i posted, long time ago, and since then i am never having any problem with my system . either on shutdown or restart.

thought it might be useful , oh well i guess not every system has the same experience.

SacredCultivator

Alright... Heh I don't know how that settign got changed then.. but still thanks for your help.

Guest Hocus

im not too sure but it could be some heavy program has changed your settings to make it work on pagefile or RAM, i dont know what programs you have.

SacredCultivator

Haha I agree with Lite, I got confused at that...

• Administrator

No software will change that value automatically.... its probs from a "tweak" somewhere. Deleting the page file at shutdown negagibly decreases startup time.

Archived