Linux in a Virtual Machine Player?

Wheelie4

I'm running WinXP Home SP2. I'm interested in trying out a GUI based Linux OS (I suck at command line), in a "free" VM Player. Which free VM player and Linux OS would anybody suggest? Be aware I know nothing about Linux or VM's.

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll suggest Ubuntu for Linux and for a VM Player I only tested VMWare and Virtual PC and Virtual PC sucks big time compared to VMWare esp when it comes to running Linux, however VMWare is not free so if you want to use another VM player take a look at this page it'll give you a good idea what to choose.

I'll suggest Ubuntu for Linux and for a VM Player I only tested VMWare and Virtual PC and Virtual PC sucks big time compared to VMWare esp when it comes to running Linux, however VMWare is not free so if you want to use another VM player take a look at this page it'll give you a good idea what to choose.

Thanks rashad. I actually started downloading Ubuntu6.10 a little while ago. And VMware Player is free. Went free sometime last fall.

Yeh! red hat is good, but become bit dificult to download realy free version, however suse is the bigest and most compherensive and for beginer is the easyest solution (check min specks required)

Sorry posted before read virtual... dunno much about it?

Yeh! red hat is good, but become bit dificult to download realy free version, however suse is the bigest and most compherensive and for beginer is the easyest solution (check min specks required)

Sorry posted before read virtual... dunno much about it?

Hehe, np. :unsure: But they actually have Redhat and Suse for VM's too.

• Administrator

You might like the next article i'm gonna write for the FSH Security Center, it has some relevance to this topic, although not on the exact topic.

Suse is a nice easy to use distro. Ubuntu i would put as slightly harder to use (due to less GUI based config tools).

You might like the next article i'm gonna write for the FSH Security Center, it has some relevance to this topic, although not on the exact topic.

Suse is a nice easy to use distro. Ubuntu i would put as slightly harder to use (due to less GUI based config tools).

Thanks Lite. I'll be looking forward to the article on FSH.

Ok, now the question is OpenSUSE 10.1 with Gnome or OpenSUSE 10.1 with KDE? :unsure:

Yep I saw at opensuse.org about 10.2 but only 10.1 is available at the vmware site. But I found 10.2 with KDE for vmware player here. Now to find 10.2 with gnome. I'm gonna tryout both. :unsure:

• Administrator

You could always use the trial of Vmware Workstation, create an image (install whatever you want) and then use VMPlayer after your trial has finished - you should still have access to your guest operating systems.

You could always use the trial of Vmware Workstation, create an image (install whatever you want) and then use VMPlayer after your trial has finished - you should still have access to your guest operating systems.

Ahhhh, good point. I hadn't thought of that. :unsure:

Archived