Beware Windows 7 can erase your data

Marcus Thunder

Marcus Thunder

I recently decided to chkdsk my external hdd.It is a 250gb western digital, it is mostly

occupied and I use it to stor my music and movie library... anyways chkdsk took to long so i

decided to quit {I clicked cancel n didn't unplug the device yet} cause i was in hurrry to leave

home...Don't blame me I was late...I then tried to access it..it said that the drive is

innaccessible so i Used usb safely remove but whoa what happened is that it said the media has

been inserted and the FREE space was 27.5 gb..the hdd was accessible ..all folders were intact

but of course I can't check that every file is intact due to the limitations of my degenerating

human brain which I hope that i would be to upgrade it someday...After rubbing my eyes several

time and checked it was 27.5 gb free...I was extremely angry and immediately pulled out the usb

wire and then I plugged it again after some time to find out that the free Space is is restored

back to 8.65 gb free {I always memorize these numbers as i am very paranoid}..Now,,,What should I

do...B4 I organise n add some items to my external hdd,I would like to please ask shall i do

anything b4 i proceed to use this disk again

I mean I searched and it was proved that win 7 does really erases data from interruted ckdsk but

in my cause I geuss free space is restored what do you avice me to do...Shall i neglect this

disaster

Check this out:

CliCK THIS

KICK THIS

:blink: ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED :blink:

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

try Gparted live CD to get clear picture on what is what, then try Disk checker Ligve CD, then I would try to save whats important and do complete disc erase (IE Kill Disk Free) and start from new

Marcus Thunder,

Sorry to here you external is going bad, usually chkdsk only messes with files and hard drive sectors that are damaged or unreadable.

It attempts to restore the clusters to working or good sectors on the drive "hence is why it was reporting more data than there was"

I would recommend cloning the drive to another drive using something like Arcronis true image or something similar. Then complete a full chkdsk on the new drive.

That way it can attempt to rebuild the data properly from a good drive with good sectors. If the imaging process fails or can't read the drive then run an advanced chkdsk first then repeat the image.

Why use the advanced chkdsk from a command prompt instead of through Windows 1 it doesn't make you reboot, 2 you can see the progress of it, 3 it will actually do a better job because it's advanced, 4 you can still use your puter while it's running.

You can also run this chkdsk prior to making the image to the other hard drive so the image doesn't fail or say it can't read the drive. I think I said this already!!!

This is how you do it....

1. Under start do a search for CMD when it comes up right click on the icon and run it as administrator.

2. Now that your running a command prompt type this in chkdsk e: /f /r change the e to what ever your drive letter on the external is

3. If it's successful your obviously good to go if not.....

If that doesn't work try to find a copy of data doctor recovery... Use the advanced mode "it will take a loooooong time but the chances that it will rebuild your data are pretty good.

I have to do these steps at least 2 times a week on customers hard drives that go bad so I can stand behind what i'm telling you.

The only difference is we have dedicated machines to slave customers hard drives too.

There are other methods but theses are the 2 I would start with if you brought you drive to me to get data off.

The next step would be booting to knoppix and using winscp to transfer the data off... We will get to that if needed I already wrote a book...

Marcus Thunder

THX for the help

I will use a new external hdd for backing up and transferring the old one,,,

Well I was gonna buy a new one anyways for expansion but the new ssd were pulling me back...and forcing me to wait...

well i dont think my old external hdd has any bad sectors ...i think it is fragmented due to large file transfers over and over...but it i geuss i will figure it out sooner or later...

Anyways what about ur book... :rolleyes:

:lol:

Yeah true.. and technically the title of this thread should not be be defaming Windows 7... but rather a warning not to interrupt CHKDSK... It fairly specific in use... and most utilities lock out the disk while its being checked... anything that tries to access the disk including Explorer.exe will definitely try to 'time out' first... Definitely would not be the fault of Windows 7 Kernel...or OS..more of a user error... Like saying oh look this car is unsafe.. because I missed my race-line and had a bad reaction time.. or poor driving skill..

You can corrupt you data by messing with it.. because of the nature of the operation...especially if anything is being repaired..makes it really hard to recover in some cases.. but not impossible..

Simply put you need to start it.. then wlk away.. and the only thing you need to look for is, 'Is it done yet..' can take awhile depending on the file system...size of the drive, and in some cases content... which can range from thousands of small text file to large files over 4 GB.. and system hardware of course..

Link for some information and command utility stuff.. can be helpful with various situations...

http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/chkdsk-and-autochk.htm

Yeah true.. and technically the title of this thread should not be be defaming Windows 7... but rather a warning not to interrupt CHKDSK... It fairly specific in use... and most utilities lock out the disk while its being checked... anything that tries to access the disk including Explorer.exe will definitely try to 'time out' first... Definitely would not be the fault of Windows 7 Kernel...or OS..more of a user error... Like saying oh look this car is unsafe.. because I missed my race-line and had a bad reaction time.. or poor driving skill..

You can corrupt you data by messing with it.. because of the nature of the operation...especially if anything is being repaired..makes it really hard to recover in some cases.. but not impossible..

Simply put you need to start it.. then wlk away.. and the only thing you need to look for is, 'Is it done yet..' can take awhile depending on the file system...size of the drive, and in some cases content... which can range from thousands of small text file to large files over 4 GB.. and system hardware of course..

Link for some information and command utility stuff.. can be helpful with various situations...

http://www.infocella...and-autochk.htm

Hey heath28m, where the f***k were you???

LOL, we were beginning to feel something bad happened to ya - welcome back!!!! :D

• Administrator

He is very busy these days. You wont see him visiting too often. :rolleyes:

He is very busy these days. You wont see him visiting too often. :rolleyes:

Yeah, as long as he's alright. :)

CheckDisk is serious stuff and IMO, should never be interrupted. :)

Basically yes never interrupt it :P

Archived