Problem with computer - It hangs up

sanjoa

Hi, guys! I've got a problem with my computer, it hangs up. It freezes and 5 or 10 minutes later defreezes. And today, I tried to burn a DVD twice and the recording soft (Nero and Ashampoo) both failed. No virus or malware or something like that found. Any solution?

• Replies 42
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are your pc specs?

Any error given by the programs?

The programs also freeze?

• Administrator

Is it at the time when it tries to burn or anytime?

Mother ASROCK N68-S, processor AMD ATHLON X64 X2 4000+, 2GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM KINGSTON, 250 GB WD SATAII HD, SAMSUNG CD/DVD RECORDER/READER. OS: Win7 X64 Enterprise.

No error, everything freezes, mouse included.

Just disconnect all the hard drives and boot a live linux cd and use it for a while and see if it also hangs. Then you will know if the problem is the HDD.

don't have one Linux live CD should download one and try

HDD dying could be the problem.

Could you explain that.. I first thought something with the CPU, not permitting enough time for the apps >> pc freezes? Dunno if the whole pc hangs due to that thoo.. :huh:

mmm.... Should I run a test with Hiren's? Anyway, recommend me a download link for a linux live CD

Could you explain that.. I first thought something with the CPU, not permitting enough time for the apps >> pc freezes? Dunno if the whole pc hangs due to that thoo.. :huh:

Nah the only real bottleneck in a PC today is the hard drive, that's why they are working so hard on SSD, access time is everything. CPU not permitting enough time per app is something written in the core of the OS at the kernel level, no amount of user changes could mess that up. Certain things like interrupts and bus contention cause deadlocks at times but those things should not occur at regular intervals at all. Newer OS from Vista onwards makes use of a hardware register called a cycle counter to accurately keep track of how many cpu cycles any single thread uses and the kernel can change the priority of a task depending on its need for resources. Those things are not user screw-up-able from what I know. The reason I jump to the HDD dying first is because dying cpu and other crap usually results in errors, crashes, and BSOD.

Anything is possible and it does not have to be the hdd at fault, just that the symptoms point me to check that first, then the power supply voltages to see if any of them are not within a reasonable variation. The hard part with the power supply though is that sometimes the sensor on the motherboard is total crap, for example I have a board in a system that tells me the 12V line is outputting 6V but the sensor is dead wrong cuz I measured the actual voltage with my multimeter. If the power connector to the hdd is losing contact intermittently it could cause the hdd to malfunction as well. It could be anything as I said, the hdd is just where I would start looking.

mmm.... Should I run a test with Hiren's? Anyway, recommend me a download link for a linux live CD

Knoppix is one of my favs, but it's kinda big since it is packed with features and drivers. You might want to try Damn Small Linux first, it's way smaller.

I'll download it and I tell you.I'm using a voltage stabilizer to prevent damage related to electricity.

I'll download it and I tell you.I'm using a voltage stabilizer to prevent damage related to electricity.

Ive had the exact same problem for ages now, I solved the freeze by lowering the burn speed.

I always use lowered burn speed. This problem started almost a week or two ago?

Nah the only real bottleneck in a PC today is the hard drive, that's why they are working so hard on SSD, access time is everything. CPU not permitting enough time per app is something written in the core of the OS at the kernel level, no amount of user changes could mess that up. Certain things like interrupts and bus contention cause deadlocks at times but those things should not occur at regular intervals at all. Newer OS from Vista onwards makes use of a hardware register called a cycle counter to accurately keep track of how many cpu cycles any single thread uses and the kernel can change the priority of a task depending on its need for resources. Those things are not user screw-up-able from what I know. The reason I jump to the HDD dying first is because dying cpu and other crap usually results in errors, crashes, and BSOD.

Anything is possible and it does not have to be the hdd at fault, just that the symptoms point me to check that first, then the power supply voltages to see if any of them are not within a reasonable variation. The hard part with the power supply though is that sometimes the sensor on the motherboard is total crap, for example I have a board in a system that tells me the 12V line is outputting 6V but the sensor is dead wrong cuz I measured the actual voltage with my multimeter. If the power connector to the hdd is losing contact intermittently it could cause the hdd to malfunction as well. It could be anything as I said, the hdd is just where I would start looking.

Hmm, I actually understood everything you just said :blink:

awesome :P

ram bad? running a scan in the back ground? after starting the computer up will it freeze just doing simple stuff like photo viewing or surfing the web or watching a avi? with newsleecher 3.9 final certain newsgroups when loading or getting the headers would freexe my system. using max resources etc. with newsleecher 4 betas it doesnt do that anymore

• Administrator

First check out the HDD as Leetpirate said. I would say that you can even disconnect HDD then use Hiren's mini XP mode if you don't wanna download any additional file. If it runs without any problems, then you know that HDD is culprit. ;)

This could be anything but freezes are generally caused by software problems rather than hardware problems, in my experience.

Is there anything you installed/updated before this problem occured?

Is there a particular application you are using when this occurs or is there a particular action you repeat after which this problem occurs? (For instance my PC used to hang after I inserted a CD, without me even opening it. I updated my DVD-RW stations driver and it was fixed.)

If this happens at random times then it's indeed more likely that this is a hardware issue but it could still be software (something that's always on?). Try booting into safe mode and see if the problem occurs, if not then it's very likely (if not certain) that your hardware is not at fault.

@ shought, It happens at random times, but always at night. And rarely is CometBird responsible of this.

@ skynet81 I'll try that.

The most common problems that causes computer to hang are:

1. Compatibility issues with software, mostly security software like Ant-Virus, Firewalls, HIPS, etc. (users sometimes install too much security products which degrades their pc performance.)

2. Faulty Hard Drives. They are several ways to test it like CheckDisk, CheckDrive for basic then a Linux boot disc for thorough checking.

3. Bad RAM, there are also many ways to check it. Here is the one that I use- http://www.wikihow.com/Test-PC-Ram-with-MemTest86

4. Too many processes running on your computer at once and your processor has trouble keeping up. Check your system's startup and disable everything that isn't essential to system stability.

5. Faulty Processor, check your processors speed and make sure that it is running to the speed as what it suppose to be. I use this utility- CPU Speed Pro.

6. System is over-heating, check to make sure that there is nothing blocking air flow and the fans from working properly. This including opening your case and using can air to blow out any particles that may be causing problems. Check all cooling fans to make sure they are working. Use a program to check your system's temperature like Speedfan or PC Wizard.

Thanks.:)

thank you everybody for your help. I've found some damage in my HDD. And today, computer hung after opening Microsoft Expression Web 4, everything did hung even my internet modem. I think problem is or in the core or in RAM or motherboard

Archived