Firefox 4 Beta 1 to flaunt new theme with tabs on top

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

34hfhg3.jpg

We've known for quite some time that Mozilla was preparing a new theme for Firefox 4. On Mozilla Links, the UI team has informed the public that the new theme will finally find its way into the browser's first beta release. According to the post, the following changes can be expected in the Windows version:

• The Firefox button - a new menu button that aggregates the most frequently used browser menu options (default for Windows Vista and 7; can be disabled)
  • Aero Glass interface - a new skin that fits with the default theme of Windows Vista and 7 (currently only available via third-party plug-ins)
  • Customizable tab bar - ability to drag buttons around the tab bar
  • Bookmarks button - opens bookmarks menu and lets you dock it as a sidebar
  • Tabs on top - now enabled by default and can be changed by user

Regarding tabs on top, many users have been quick to call Mozilla copycats. Opera, as well as Google Chrome, have both used tabs on top for quite some time. However, to set the record straight, Mozilla wants to assure the public that it has thought long and hard about Firefox's tab placement and has posted a video explaining the design decision (see below).

The Mac OS and Linux versions will also see UI overhauls, though Mozilla's post doesn't go into details. Besides the changes listed above, other improvements can be expected before a final product is launched. App tabs are one of the features to be implemented and will allow users to make sticky tabs with no navigation interface for application-like websites (such as your email). This is sort of like permatabs.

Firefox 4 Beta 1 is scheduled for release in the coming weeks. Mozilla plans to have the final version of the browser out the door by the end of the year.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesomeness :smoke:

the video is superb

can't wait for the final version

edit: added the video

D*mn. I wish they release 4.0 Beta 1 already :D

Although I'm now a Chrome user, the same stuff applies to it and Opera. From a programming / UI design perspective, it's some very good research. Can't wait for some neat HTML5 applications...

Bring it on Firefox

:fear:

D*mn. I wish they release 4.0 Beta 1 already :D

beta 1 nightly build

2mfd5qu.png

http://ftp.eu.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/4.0b1-candidates/

Damn yeah

testing on xp-mode

:dance2:

Sl@pSh0ck™

damn can't wait for this one!!!! :frusty:

nothing on their ftp tho :huh:

Oh no!! They've removed the full window name in the window title bar area, and replaced it with ... nothing. :frusty:

[quote name=RobrPatty' date='29 June 2010 - 11:36 PM'

timestamp='1277831183' post='203231]

Firefox 4 beta2 nightlybuild:

beta2

thats pre-beta2.

I tried it and it's blazing fast, but I think I'll wait until it becomes more stable.

Archived