Strange computer issue

d3v

I need help diagnosing a computer problem.

The symptoms are as follows.

The PC turns on (lights, all fans, ect) but there is no picture. The monitor remains in idle yellow.

The PC has a PCI-E Radeon graphics card and an onboard chip. Neither work.

The fan on the Radeon GPU works fine.

Reseating the radeon GPU did not help.

Clearing CMOS did not help.

There are NO BIOS beep codes reporting.

I know it's not POSTing becuase I left the speaker volume on full in anticipation of the Windows logon sound but it did not reach it.

There are two sticks of DDR2 RAM. I alternatively removed both of them and even tried booting with no RAM installed whatsoever and this did not help. I presume it is not a RAM issue, then?

I'm thinking power supply issue? What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did it work before?

get into bios?

F8 safe mode?

lot comptuers F11 or something for testing and repairs on some brands?

remove the graphics card and use just the motherboard one maybe. put a different harddrive that ou know works in and test it.

oh used a different monitor?

• Administrator

Could be a CPU issue too.

Have a spare PSU/ CPU? Try them and see what happens.

Okay I'll give some more detail. Customer just dropped it off. It has never been opened before as the warrenty stickers were intact. It is a very decent spec Acer Aspire desktop PC.

I have tried the inboard graphics chip and it does not work.

I just changed the power supply and that did nothing to solve the problem, either.

@ Lite. I think your bang on the money... does indeed seem like a faulty CPU. It would definately explain everything, infact.

It's a shame I don't have a spare Intel Core2 Duo CPU chip to test for certain.

Do you reckon I should just tell the guy to buy a replacment CPU from ebuyer.com and then fit it for him when it arrives? It would be a real embarresment if it turned out not to be the CPU but I think the chances are high that it is.

• Administrator

I'd recommend you try to acquire one before getting one ordered, it could be faulty RAM (do you have some compatible memory laying around... try replacing BOTH sticks) or motherboard even.

I'd recommend you try to acquire one before getting one ordered, it could be faulty RAM (do you have some compatible memory laying around... try replacing BOTH sticks) or motherboard even.

I have no DDR2 available right now but I can get some from another PC at my mums house so that's not a problem.

I just don't make enough $$$ to justify buying all the various components. Wish I could, though.

If when I try with my mum's DDR2 it still makes no difference, I'll definately presume it's the CPU and link him to ebuyer.com accordingly. :frusty:

• Administrator

Do you know how this issue came about originally? Your plan seems reasonable though.

Ah feck testing the RAM. I've just sent the guy a looong text explaining it all to him and I'm off on a two week camping trip this Friday so hopefuly he will buy it tomorrow as I advised so I can take delivery of it Thursday and install it. Worst case scenario is that the problem still persists with the new CPU installed in which case it's an RMA back to ebuyer. I'll make sure to open the packing very carefuly :fear:

EDIT: He's just txt'd back asking me to email him the link to buy it :fear:

• 2 weeks later...

here's the conclusion to this.

After he brought round the CPU I made sure to open the box carfully which was a good decision because it turned out the CPU was absolutely fine and infact the motherboard was at fault. I explained to him I had mis-diagnosed and instructed him to RMA the CPU back and purchase a certain motherboard which he promply did.

So I've just fitted the new motherboard and finally the computer works! I'm now in the middle of doing a data backup/reformat/reinstall.

phew.

here's the conclusion to this.

After he brought round the CPU I made sure to open the box carfully which was a good decision because it turned out the CPU was absolutely fine and infact the motherboard was at fault. I explained to him I had mis-diagnosed and instructed him to RMA the CPU back and purchase a certain motherboard which he promply did.

So I've just fitted the new motherboard and finally the computer works! I'm now in the middle of doing a data backup/reformat/reinstall.

phew.

Glad to hear that mate :)

Archived