Calif. Man Faces 101 Years for Phishing

Zeus_Hunt

A California phisher faces up to 101 years in prison after being convicted in U.S. District Court of tricking AOL members into disclosing their personal information, including credit cards. The information was then used to make purchases, say prosecutors.

Federal authorities arrested Jeffrey Goodin, 45, in January 2006. He had been using hacked EarthLink accounts to send e-mails to AOL members. The messages were fashioned to look as if the user would lose service if they failed to respond.

From there, the victim would be directed to a spoofed AOL billing page where they would enter their personal information. The number of victims was not disclosed.

The conviction is the first by jury under the CAN-SPAM Act, passed in 2003. Sentencing has been scheduled for June 11.

Goodin was also convicted of 10 other counts, including wire fraud, aiding and abetting the unauthorized use of an access device (credit card), possession of more than 15 unauthorized access devices, misuse of the AOL trademark, attempted witness harassment and failure to appear in court.

Phishing is quickly becoming one of the Internet's biggest problems. 25,816 unique reports of phishing were received in the month of November alone, according to the Anti-Phishing Working Group, and the problem shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

viewpo0.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 6
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I don't understand is why the hell it has to be 100 years? It's not like the guy is gonna live that long. Does it give them satisfaction or something saying that "Hey he is going to jail for 100 years!" even though they know that doesn't make sense. I know that this guy isn't convicted yet but it just seems stupid to me and really unneccesary. Why not just say, "You go to jail until you die!"

Rant over.

watever the weatrher- too harsh! murderes get freed on various excuses, this is way too harsh! :fear: :P

The Godfather

No offense But you guys wouldn't be talking like this if it was you who had your identity stolen!! It happened to me 2 weeks before christmas and they stole everything in my bank account. Ya happy holidays and merry christmas to me. I think the prick should spend the rest of his natural born life in a jail cell with bubba learning the meaning of In thru the Out door..

]

Holla,

CC

The Godfather

And Ya America is the Greatest Country in the world. The most Powerful too, That's how we get away the things we do..Crazy aint it?

I understand what you're saying Godfather and I agree that he should spend all his life in jail but the sentence thing just doesn't make sense to me.

Hope you recovered ok from that incident.

Archived