which of the System & Security do you all use?

myidisbb

anti virus

ad ware

firewall

anti spyware

ip blocker

or suites with mutli options included (ei norton internet security 2005 comes with virus, spam and firewall)

anything else not covered

my kids computer comes with norton internet security 2005 oem that took everything over, spysubract pro 2.62 with cwshredder 2.01. i want to get a good coverage on his so i dont have to worry that he downloads or gets crap installed that i have to fix. (hp pcs dont come with cd rom software to fix incase of reformat) and if i like the stuff ill up it on this pc later.

i was thinking of going nod anti virus and sygate firewall with adware pro and one of the ip blockers (try protowall this time) any reason to also have blocklist manager at the same time?

• Replies 17
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For antivirus, NOD32. I used to use Norton but I ended up switches for many reasons... NOD32 is far better than Norton in my opinion.

For adware, I use Adaware, Spybot S&D, SpySweeper, and SpyBlaster. Cause one isnt enough (as not just one detects all adware/spyware).

For FireWall, i use SyGate. Nice firewall and really easy for the average user.

IP Blocker. I use Protowall along with The BlockList Manager. It works on driver level blocking all types of ports. Really nice to use even if ya dont use P2p.

For ur last line, yeah, thats what I recommend. NOD32, sygate, adaware, protowall (along with The BlockList Manager cause thats a great tool to retrieve the bad IP files). :unsure:

For antivirus, NOD32. I used to use Norton but I ended up switches for many reasons... NOD32 is far better than Norton in my opinion.

For adware, I use Adaware, Spybot S&D, SpySweeper, and SpyBlaster. Cause one isnt enough (as not just one detects all adware/spyware).

For FireWall, i use SyGate. Nice firewall and really easy for the average user.

IP Blocker. I use Protowall along with The BlockList Manager. It works on driver level blocking all types of ports. Really nice to use even if ya dont use P2p.

For ur last line, yeah, thats what I recommend. NOD32, sygate, adaware, protowall (along with The BlockList Manager cause thats a great tool to retrieve the bad IP files). :unsure:

on Adaware, Spybot S&D, SpySweeper, and SpyBlaster which do you have "on" at all times? spy sweeper as in webroot one? that leave me to find spyblaster. thats pretty much what i take that this group uses in the s&s software. (nsane keeps upping them for a certain reason) i mess the simple days when you didnt need of this crap.

AntiVirus: NOD32

AntiSpyware: MS AntiSpyware and AdAware and Spybot

Firewall: ZoneAlarm, but thinking of switching back to Sygate

IP Blocker: None

AV : trial Kaspersky atm, switch back to BD later

Firewall : Jetico

Adware : Ad-Aware SE

Spyware : on-demand scan : spy sweeper

real-time : M$ antispyware

IP blocker : blockpost (if i swith fw to outpost)

anti-trojan : ewido home

and PG3

AV: NOD32

Firewall: Sygate

Spyware: Ad-Aware, Spyboy S&D, and Spy Sweeper

IP Blocker: Protowall

Other: My Brain

and that's about it :unsure:

Guest tensegg

anti virus : nod32

ad ware : spysweeper, ad-aware, spybot

firewall ; sygate

anti spyware : spywareblaster

ip blocker : protowall

works a treat, zero problems, I use ewido too, but its never needed really, I just like the process minitor thingy, top trojan scanner tho :unsure:

* @ preso, PG3? :P ,

EDIT#2

I've also been using TOR and PRIVOXY for anonymous surfing, seems to be working pretty well. every time I visit myip with em on, I have a new one, you need them both btw, get em both here. if you want to try. :huh:

I've also been using TOR and PRIVOXY for anonymous surfing, seems to be working pretty well.  every time I visit myip with em on, I have a new one, you need them both btw, get em both here. if you want to try.  :unsure:

hows your tor and privoxy on your site newer then the actually web site they come from?

* @ preso, PG3? :unsure: ,

it's Process Guard 3.15 Introduction to Process Guard

The appz is almost the same as Prevx but it's works at the kernel level, it protects you from other application to modify one of your memory and prevention of global hooks. Give it a try, it's free

rgd,

preso

• Administrator

Naaa... Preso.. PrevX and Process Guard are pretty different.

PrevX monitors app activity (and protects part of the windows registry) for "suspicous" activity. Lets call PrevX an IDS system.

Process guard on the other hand, "toughens" applications (and blocks certain things.... global hooks etc) and has execucation proctection. Lets call PG a system firewall.

They compliment each other nicely.

Naaa... Preso.. PrevX and Process Guard are pretty different.

PrevX monitors app activity (and protects part of the windows registry) for "suspicous" activity. Lets call PrevX an IDS system.

Process guard on the other hand, "toughens" applications (and blocks certain things.... global hooks etc) and has execucation proctection. Lets call PG a system firewall.

They compliment each other nicely.

Lite, I agree with you. I don't say it's the same but "almost the same".....

Thank's for clear explanation

cheers,

preso

firewall : Kerio

ad ware + anti spyware : spysweeper, M$ antispyware

I feel if u install Preso.. PrevX and Process Guard ur system would brought to its knees....

u would have an antivir antispyware and on top of it if u put antitrojan....

Process Guard and so on too much for any system to handle.....

on Adaware, Spybot S&D, SpySweeper, and SpyBlaster which do you have "on" at all times?  spy sweeper as in webroot one?  that leave me to find spyblaster.  thats pretty much what i take that this group uses in the s&s software.  (nsane keeps upping them for a certain reason)  i mess the simple days when you didnt need of this crap.

Hmm.. I have SpySweeper and Adwatch (adaware thingie) running in the background. Oh, and SpySweeper is the webroot one... As for SpyBlaster, that just loads rules and regulations into IE and FireFox.. Not really a spyware/adware remover.. But more of a tool to prevent spyware and adware from entering the computer in the first place. :think:

• Administrator
I feel if u install Preso.. PrevX and Process Guard ur system would brought to its knees....

I doubt...

Both PrevX and Process Guard are really low on resource usage. Anywho... most systems nowadays are idle most of the time. :think:

firewall : Kerio

ad ware + anti spyware : spysweeper, M$ antispyware

well you heard that from Lite and if I set spy sweeper on real time then I notice the high resource on my system. anyway i don't install prevx on my system only process guard to protect the firewall (if i'm using outpost)....but atm i was testing jetico...it's really light even lighter than your kerio and it have anti global hook ( so i set process guard off atm)....oh ewido is only the scan.

if u check NOD32(any antivir) u would find the number of files scanned... that is when ever and application is opened ... a few other files is also opened... so around 10 files are checked wen u open an application(for example)....

now bcoz it is being scanned by NOD32 ....it slows up the loading of the application.....

same with antispyware...... other protecting tools

not sure about Preso.. PrevX

• Administrator

Anti-spyware apps generally only monitor certain extensions or sometimes even just the *.exe which is being executed.

Some anti-trojans ie Trojan Hunter simply "POLL" for changes to the memory and scan only that.

Anywho a well written scanner shouldnt cause much slowdown.

PrevX works post-execuation. It monitors the actions of an app AFTER its running.

Process guard on the hand can control WEATHER to launch an application or not. The other options are pre-blocked upon execuation of PG and with parts of PG written in x86 ASM its quick :think: .

These really shouldn't cause much of a slowdown

PrevX works post-execuation. It monitors the actions of an app AFTER its running.  Process guard on the hand can control WEATHER to launch an application or not. The other options are pre-blocked upon execuation of PG and with parts of PG written in x86 ASM its quick  .

Thank's Lite...

if u check NOD32(any antivir) u would find the number of files scanned... that is when ever and application is opened ... a few other files is also opened... so around 10 files are checked wen u open an application(for example)....

Why you wanna disable it, i still remember NOD32 scans really fast not like KAV. Well if you wanna disable it, open control panel of NOD32 --> AMON --> on detection tab clear the box(es) that you like NOD32 not to do.

rgd,

preso

Archived