Windows 7 Netbook Edition?

LeetPirate

LeetPirate

Hey guys, I'm looking for a super small windows 7 installation for use with a netbook. The one and only option I discovered on the web is Windows 7 Tiny Edition but that one comes pre-activated and I'm no fan of that. Do you know of any slim windows 7 that does not come pre-activated?

I will be putting it on an ASUS EEE PC 1000, the stupid thing ASUS did was put 2 SSD to make up 40GB, the master is 8GB and the secondary is 32GB. I have to use Win7 because XP does not support the TRIM function for SSD natively. If I put windows on the 8GB master drive it will just complain all the time that the drive is almost full. I opened up the system to see if I could swap the drives but I only see 1 drive so I assume the master ssd is not user replaceable, or is it?

If I cannot find another cut down version of 7 I will have to use the Tiny 7 release.

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't you install it on the larger drive?

After that move the pagefile/temp files/and user folders to the smaller drive.

I have an Acer netbook that I installed Win7U on a drive with only 30 GB.

LeetPirate

Why don't you install it on the larger drive?

I just did that but I found it was kinda slow so and for some reason it could not install my flash drive o.O some hardware problems I suppose. There was also an unknown device in device manager, I could not figure out what it was because everything seemed to work.

I'm testing out the Tiny7 now. If I still have problems I will go back to XP.

LeetPirate

If I were you, I would prefer to install xp. :)

netbook with win7, it may be a bit slow

I ended up putting Windows XP Performance Edition on it. The only reason I wanted Win7 was because it's the only Windows that supports the TRIM function for SSD. Then I realised ASUS probably did not even put SSDs that supports TRIM anyway so they are destined for failure soon. ASUS release zero firmware updates for the SSD as well so it most likely sucks.

• Administrator

Apparently the 32GB drive is much slower than the 8GB one... thats why they split them up.

If you really want to get the 8GB drive (when you open the case you'll be seeing the 32GB drive i assume), its a Mini PCIe card.

@LeetPirate: Do you still need this? I know where you can download "Windows 7 x86 Build 7264 Netbook Edition". The download is 1.28 GB in 14 RAR files.

Here's a bit more information about "Windows 7 x86 Build 7264 Netbook Edition":

This Eee7 is a special version of Windows 7 Ultimate, based on edition 7264 by group ModMyEee. It occupies only 1,49 GB USB drive and at most 4 GB hard disk space. It can operates on any netbook faster than XP SP3.

Changes :

No major has not been removed,

networking capabilities remained intact.

Hardware support is not removed.

Removed :

Old drivers

Games.

Asian languages (can be added later),

the files, and others...

System Requirements :

Hard Drive 4GB

RAM 256mb (recommended 1GB)

CPU according to the netbook, 900 MHz +

Application provided is not bootable.

To Make Bootable USB Stick :

Apparently the 32GB drive is much slower than the 8GB one... thats why they split them up.

If you really want to get the 8GB drive (when you open the case you'll be seeing the 32GB drive i assume), its a Mini PCIe card.

Yea I read the same thing over at some gnu linux wiki. I opened the panel and saw the 32GB but I didn't bother doing anything since it was impossible to swap the drives given that one was pcie and the other was ide or sata (can't remember). Both drives seem too old to support TRIM so I could expect performance degradation over time. Asus does have a program called OSCleaner that runs at every startup but they are vague on what that actually does, my guess is it is some kind of makeshift solution for the lack of TRIM support on the drives as well as XP.

This SSD escapade turned out to be disappointing, it's a better idea to get a netbook with a regular HDD and then swap it for a retail better performing SSD. You never know what garbage SSD you will get when buying the pc with a stock SSD.

@Night Owl: maybe you could post some sharecoded links incase future people land on this topic seeking help. I already installed xp performance edition on the 8GB primary drive and I put all the other stuff like office on the 32GB drive. After all that work I don't want to do it all over. :D XP isn't anywhere as good looking as the eeebuntu I tried out though.

@Night Owl: maybe you could post some sharecoded links incase future people land on this topic seeking help.

OK, here is where you can download "Windows 7 x86 Build 7264 Netbook Edition"

NOTE: I did not install this, I am just posting the download links.

HotFile download (folder with 14 files in it to download)

Site: http://hotfile.com

Code: /list/467066/e83dafd

X7 download

Site: http://x7.to

Code 01: /4msnez/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part01.rar

Code 02: /633k2b/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part02.rar

Code 03: /kffqes/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part03.rar

Code 04: /24j3q7/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part04.rar

Code 05: /x8wxfq/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part05.rar

Code 06: /adl5hz/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part06.rar

Code 07: /y6q6po/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part07.rar

Code 08: /r67jl3/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part08.rar

Code 09: /5t2xk6/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part09.rar

Code 10: /2jlnoa/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part10.rar

Code 11: /n2ir4z/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part11.rar

Code 12: /vlga65/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part12.rar

Code 13: /5e7r1j/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part13.rar

Code 14: /rnl3yl/Windows.7.x86.Build.7264.Netbook.Edition.2009.part14.rar

HotFile and X7 links are interchangeable.

This Eee7 is a special version of Windows 7 Ultimate, based on edition 7264 by group ModMyEee. It occupies only 1,49 GB USB drive and at most 4 GB hard disk space. It can operates on any netbook faster than XP SP3.

Changes :

No major has not been removed,

networking capabilities remained intact.

Hardware support is not removed.

Removed :

Old drivers

Games.

Asian languages (can be added later),

the files, and others...

System Requirements :

Hard Drive 4GB

RAM 256mb (recommended 1GB)

CPU according to the netbook, 900 MHz +

Application provided is not bootable.

To Make Bootable USB Stick :

Important Information:

* When installing Eee7, The final phase of installation (Finalizing Installation) could take some time depending on the netbook to have.

* If you do not have drivers for Vista to install the devices , then simply download the drivers for XP, go to the executable file (. Exe) that you downloaded, right click -> Properties -- > Compatibility and check the option "Run this program in compatibility mode" for:

Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

To be able to install the netbook due to lack of dvd drive,we should prepare a USB Flash to make it bootable.

What we need:

* USB Flash Drive (2GB + more)

* The DVD which we burned the image of the iso that you downloaded

* A computer with Vista / Windows 7

Step 1: Formating the USB Flash

The following steps we will use the command prompt to create the appropriate Usb flash fomat with diskpart. [Note: It will erase all the data on USB Flash, be careful.]

1. Connect the USB Flash Drive

2. Open the command prompt as ............. (Go Start> All Programs> Accesories, right click on the "Command Prompt" and select "Run as ............."

3. To find out what number corresponds to the USB Flash Drive you should type the following in the window of the "Command Prompt":

diskpart

list disk

The number corresponding to your USB will be appear in the list (see the USB and the capacity of)

This number will need in the next step. Suppose that the USB Flash Drive is the disk 1.

4. Format the USB typing the following commands in the same window. Attention, replace the number "1" on disk 1 to the number of your drive as emerged from the above list.

select disk 1

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

active

format fs = NTFS

assign

exit

When you enter this, you will have a USB Flash Drive formatted ready to be bootable.

Step 2: Let's make the USB bootable

we will use the application bootsect that is in the EEE7 DVD.

We will use the same command prompt window from Step 1:

1. Put the dvd of Eee7 in the drive of your computer.

2. Change the drive in the command prompt with that which is your drive. Suppose that the DVD drive is D:

d:

cd d: \ boot

3. We will use the bootsect to define the USB as a bootable NTFS drive ready to accept the Eee7.

Suppose that the USB Flash Drive is G: \, your position in G: \ put the letter of your USB.

Enter:

bootsect / nt60 g:

4. You can close the command prompt,now the USB is bootable.

Step 3: Copy files from DVD to USB Flash drive

The easiest way is through the windows. Copy all files from DVD and paste it in the USB flash drive. Just copy all the files, you're ready.

Step 4: Set the BIOS to boot from USB

@LeetPirate: Do you still need this? I know where you can download "Windows 7 x86 Build 7264 Netbook Edition". The download is 1.28 GB in 14 RAR files.

I installed it on a VM and this is what I have. I also did a Windows update and it said that it is up to date. This is an old build.

post-11133-12764032008_thumb.png

@box:

Thanks for taking the time to investigate "Windows 7 x86 Build 7264 Netbook Edition". Sorry, but that's the only Windows 7 Netbook Edition that I'm aware of.

• 1 month later...

Archived