Iran vows to 'humiliate' U.S.

Bolt_Gundam510

Bolt_Gundam510

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) POSTED: 7:15 p.m. EST, January 2, 2007 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad scorned U.N Security Council sanctions imposed against Iran, telling a crowd Tuesday that Iran had humiliated the United States in the past and would do so again.

Speaking in the southwestern provincial capital of Ahvaz, Ahmadinejad said the Security Council's resolution last month was invalid and had left the world body's reputation in tatters.

The council voted unanimously to bar all countries from selling materials and technology to Iran that could contribute to its nuclear and missile programs. It also froze the assets of 10 Iranian companies and 12 individuals related to those programs.

"Let the world know that from the Iranian nation's point of view, this resolution has no validity," Ahmadinejad said.

He said the United States was the main power behind the resolution, and warned Washington: "I want you to know that the Iranian nation has humiliated you many times, and it will humiliate you in future."

The U.S. has led the drive to stop Iran from enriching uranium -- a process that produces the material for either nuclear reactors or bombs. Iran denies that it seeks to build atomic weapons, saying its nuclear program is limited to the generation of electricity.

Ahmadinejad said the sanctions were not important but were part of a campaign of psychological warfare against Iran that was designed to provoke dissent within the country.

Recalling the West's support for Iraq, then ruled by Saddam Hussein, during its eight-year war with Iran in the 1980s, he said: "If all the powers that supported Saddam in his war against Iran were to regroup and confront Iran again, Iranians would deliver a historic slap in their face."

Ahmadinejad said Iran had done everything it could to prove that its nuclear program is peaceful, but the West -- in the name of opposing nuclear weapons -- was trying to thwart Iran's development.

"We have tried all legal, wise and logical ways to convince these corrupt and selfish powers," he said.

While Ahmadinejad has repeatedly attacked the Security Council resolution, he has avoided any public comment on the results of Dec. 15 municipal elections, in which his political allies were heavily defeated.

The polls were seen as an electoral test of Ahmadinejad's presidency, and the success of his opponents suggested that voters want him to pay more attention to domestic issues rather than foreign policy.

Some people in the crowd in Ahvaz on Tuesday tried to remind the president of the need to address domestic problems. State television showed a placard carried by one spectator that read: "Inflation, unemployment, insecurity, drug addiction have desiccated the tree of the revolution."

Inflation is officially at 12 percent but thought to be much higher, and an estimated 3 million people are unemployed.

CNN NEWS

• Replies 4
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the more u rise, the deeper the fall. sooner or later, that happens 2 all of the giants. and i wont be dissapointed if the downfall will be caused by a muslim nation.God knows best

Guest freedom4all
the more u rise, the deeper the fall. sooner or later, that happens 2 all of the giants. and i wont be dissapointed if the downfall will be caused by a muslim nation.God knows best

**Shaking head** Obviously coming from an airhead, filled with propaganda. America is so bad. Iran, Iraq and other middle east nations are so great. Yet, who drives the world's future? Nations that have free peoples, thats who. Who leads in technology? Who has the greatest economy? Who has the lowest unemployment? Who leads in Space? Who explores other planets with robotic machines? Who has the most powerful telescopes on Earth and in Space? Who has the freedoms to practice ANY religion and voice ANY opinion? One day, the innovations of America or other Western nations will severely lesson the need for oil. When this happens, what product will you export? More hatred? Wake up. Get a grip on reality, before its too late!

Oh ya...well...if the leaders of Iran had their way...men who talk to their wife in public will be killed...women will not be allowed to be educated...if the want to they will be killed.... if you speak out against any of this government sponsored killing.... you will be killed... now tell me who is right and who is wrong...not so simple is it...take a look at the big picture here people...you just can't pick America for the wrongs they do and over look the other stuff from a country just because they say they hate America. When an earthquake hits or any other disaster who is there first sure is not the countries your say are so great and innocent is it...who is it...yes its America there first with most of the aid by the way when is the last time you can tell me Iran sent any aid except to finance terrorist

• 2 weeks later...

You have to understand something. People really dont hate Americans, they just hate their government. I personally think it is very anoying how the US Gov. thinks of itself as an international police witht he power to tell any country what to do. Who controls wether americans use uranium to produce weapons ?? I currently live in the US , i like the people here, everyone is nice.

Something else I don't like is how some Americans think that the US is the only "free" country in the world. Where I used to live I felt much more free and the media was much less controlled than here. I am only here for college, I acknowledge the US has a good economy and good public organizations, but I sometimes feel this superiority complex amongst Americans.

Archived