Firefox 4.0 UI Redesign In-Content UI Visual Unification

0veR

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-2.jpg

Mozilla is making headway with the major redesign of the graphical user interface it has planned for Firefox 4.0. According to Mozilla designer Stephen Horlander, the next iteration of the open source browser will lose the now-traditional (read obsolete) dialog boxes. The move was designed as a part of the strategy to deliver in-content UI visual unification, Horlander noted. Users can have a look at the images included at the bottom of this screen in order to get an idea of the new GUI details Mozilla is cooking for Firefox 4.0.

However, the designed mockups included below were not intended to be comprehensive or final, Horlander emphasized. In this regard, Mozilla’s plans could definitely change before the browser maker delivers the successor of Firefox 3.6.

“One of the UX team’s priorities for Firefox 4 (and beyond) has been working towards getting more of the secondary UI into the browser as in-content UI. This can be seen already with the work being done on the new Add-ons manager,” Horlander explained.

As users can see via the screenshots offered by Mozilla, the Firefox 4.0 overhaul and in-content UI will reverberate across areas such as session restore, about:config, add-ons manager, network errors and phishing/malware warnings. Instead of popping up a dialog box, Firefox 4.0 will open a new Tab with the content. It appears that the browser maker is also considering integrating preferences, the library, home tab, tabcandy and about:firefox in its in-content UI visual unification strategy.

“This creates a lot of various interfaces going into the same conceptual space. I have been exploring ways to visually unify them and establish an ‘in-content UI’ style. There is a lot of flexibility for different things within the style. It could do a variety of nice things and still be easily identifiable as ‘hey that’s Firefox incontent-ui!’,” Horlander added. “The goal is to create something that looks appealing, connects the variety of different types of UI, is recognizably in-content UI and can be styled per platform.”

The Alpha preview of 64-bit (x64) Firefox 4.0 for Windows 7 (Firefox-3.7a5pre.en-US.win64-x86_64) is available for download here.

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-3.png

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-4.png

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-5.png

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-6.png

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-7.png

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-8.jpg

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-9.png

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-10.png

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-11.jpg

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-12.png

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-13.png

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-14.png

Firefox-4-0-UI-Redesign-In-Content-UI-Visual-Unification-15.png

Source: Softpedia

• Replies 15
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

The browser wars are getting tougher. ^_^

Man !

this is like having Google chrome and FF altogether in one browser

seems damn good :fear:

Ooh La La!

Seconded!!

Very nice GUI, finally FF is catching onto the Chrome bandwagon!

Looking at the simple design and transparency I'm tempted to go back to it *gasp*

ESET Freak

*Nosebleeds*!

Omg, I'm speechless!

Remember this is just done in photoshop its not yet maded!

Oki , but it looks promising

i tested mainfield 3.7beta

and it wasn;t like that

i hope they will find a way to make it reality

SacredCultivator

Been keeping up witht heir Tinderbox (hourly) builds, awaiting for the day that the new UI lands, as that would suck to not even have the Beta Testers try it before Beta 1 is released to the public.

• Administrator

@Waka waka: Yup you are right. It looks quite similar to Opera.

who cares what or how it looks like?....it can be the exact replica of IE8 for all I care....it's the features, stability and overall performance that count

who cares what or how it looks like?....it can be the exact replica of IE8 for all I care....it's the features, stability and overall performance that count

Yup, Opera's still the best.

Archived