Diagnostic Utilities

elohelomg

Hey guys,

I just reformatted my friends computer (acting up....crazily), installed a fresh copy of win7, and this thing takes like a good 3 mins to load. Its a dual core with about 3 gb of ram, and, running TINY win7, so its actually faster than the regular, and what not.

Now, this doesn't feel right, even though it is a centriono processor, so i suspect either A, the ram is leaking, or B, one of the cpu's is acting up.

Got any diagnostic utilities i can load up and make sure its working? The computer turns on fine and tall, but takes FOREVER.

• Replies 7
  • Views 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did it take 3 minutes before it was reformatted as well? If yes then it's probably not to do with hardware. (It's probably not to do with the hardware anyway, but this way you can 'verify'.)

Install all drivers (even if they are not required); update video/audio card drivers and CPU driver (if applicable).

Did you install any software (like AV) already? If so try uninstalling pretty much anything.

Defragment the HD (boot defrag as well as normal defrag). (Yes, even after a clean install some stuff can be fucked up already.)

Did it take 3 minutes before it was reformatted as well? If yes then it's probably not to do with hardware. (It's probably not to do with the hardware anyway, but this way you can 'verify'.)

Install all drivers (even if they are not required); update video/audio card drivers and CPU driver (if applicable).

Did you install any software (like AV) already? If so try uninstalling pretty much anything.

Defragment the HD (boot defrag as well as normal defrag). (Yes, even after a clean install some stuff can be fucked up already.)

I've done all this, even the defragmenting. I thought the reason why it was slow to begin with, was the computer was infected, and i couldn't even boot....so yea.

I see.

I'm sorry, but I have no further suggestions. If there's a hardware failure I'd say it would cause some kind of error, rather than a slowdown.

'Localizing' the issue might help; when does the (apparent) slowdown occur? Before BIOS, after BIOS/before Windows logo, while Windows logo, after Windows logo?

I see.

I'm sorry, but I have no further suggestions. If there's a hardware failure I'd say it would cause some kind of error, rather than a slowdown.

'Localizing' the issue might help; when does the (apparent) slowdown occur? Before BIOS, after BIOS/before Windows logo, while Windows logo, after Windows logo?

After the bios, on the windows loading screen

If the hardware settings in the BIOS is correct then I suspect that the hard drive is going bad. This would explain why it takes so long to boot because some sectors are hard to read.

unknownasphyxiated

i got a problem when i try to install Win 7 on my friend laptop

it stuck at finalizing your setting

i search on internet and there a guy mention about setting in bios

setting regarding whether to use AHCI or IDE

i check my bios and it happen to set at AHCI

i change it to IDE and everything goes well

maybe you can try it but dunno if it gonna work

look at this forums

AHCI vs IDE

AHCI or IDE

did you do upgrade or clean install???

better if you do clean install on infected computer to make sure that the infection is gone

maybe you need to update BIOS

i got a problem when i try to install Win 7 on my friend laptop

it stuck at finalizing your setting

i search on internet and there a guy mention about setting in bios

setting regarding whether to use AHCI or IDE

i check my bios and it happen to set at AHCI

i change it to IDE and everything goes well

maybe you can try it but dunno if it gonna work

look at this forums

AHCI vs IDE

AHCI or IDE

did you do upgrade or clean install???

better if you do clean install on infected computer to make sure that the infection is gone

maybe you need to update BIOS

clean install.

and box, i was thinking it was the hard drive too, for when i was fixing it, holy crap there were shit tons of files completely gone. poof. even after running a check disk and completing it, it'd run another one on reboot.

but eh, not my problem...lmao

Archived