Question about RAM Memory

sanjoa

Hi, guys! I'm thinking in upgrade my RAM memory to 4GB. I've got an ASROCK N68-S MOBO. I'd like to know, if DDR2 1066Mhz is compatible. My CPU processor is an AMD Athlon x2 x64 dual core 4000+ 2.00 Ghz (overclocked 2.10 Ghz)

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Darth Viciuss

Hi, guys! I'm thinking in upgrade my RAM memory to 4GB. I've got an ASROCK N68-S MOBO. I'd like to know, if DDR2 1066Mhz is compatible. My CPU processor is an AMD Athlon x2 x64 dual core 4000+ 2.00 Ghz (overclocked 2.10 Ghz)

Buenas tardes José

Como puedes ver en la página del fabricante, la DDR2 1066 está soportada

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.la.asp?Model=N68-S

- Tecnología de memoria en doble canal de DDR2

- Ranuras de 2 x DDR2 DIMM

- Apoya DDR2 1066*/800/667/533 no ECC, sin almacenamiento(unbuffered) de memoria

- Capacidad máxima: 8GB**

*Apoyo con AM3 / AM2+ CPU.

**Debido de la limitación del sistema operativo, el tamaño de la memoria actual puede ser menos que 4GB para la reservación para el uso del sistema debajo de Windows® XP y de Windows® Vista™. Para Windows® XP 64-bit y Windows® Vista™ 64-bit con la CPU de 64-bit, no hay tal limitación.

El problema es que para utilizar la frecuencia a 1066MHz necesitas un procesador AM2+ (fijate en el *), que tiene un bus mas rapido, y tu procesador X2 4000+ es socket AM2 normal (bus a 800 MHz), por lo que no va a ser capaz de utilizar los 1066MHz. Yo compraria la memoria a 800MHz.

De todas formas te recomiendo instalar la ultima actualización de BIOS, y recuerda que para aprovechar los 4GB necesitas un sistema operativo de 64 bits. Para cualquier duda ya sabes ;-)

Saludos

@Darth Viciuss

It's nice that you're trying to help, but please do note that we're all supposed to speak English in here ;) Other people might also want to read the information you post.

Please try to post in English in the future :)

Thanks.

Darth Viciuss

@Darth Viciuss

It's nice that you're trying to help, but please do note that we're all supposed to speak English in here ;) Other people might also want to read the information you post.

Please try to post in English in the future :)

Thanks.

Sorry

I was trying to say that ASROCK N68-S MOBO only supports DDR2 1066 MHz memory with AM2+ and AM3 processors. The Athlon X2 4000+ of Jose is a AM2 socket cpu with a PC2 6400 (DDR2 800 MHz) memory controller, so is useless to go for 1066 MHz memory, better to stick with the 800 MHz DDR2. Also a 64 bit operative system is needed for 4GB full support. I also recommend to upgrade de BIOS to the latest version for ensuring full compatibility with the new RAM modules.

Just my 2 cents!!!

No, no need for apologies!

You were trying to help out, that's great :D

Just wanted to say, well, other people might want to read it as well ;)

If 1066 is compatible and the same price as 800, then I would go with 1066 because of overclocking. If compatible, a 1066 will drop down to 800. Overclocking 800 above its spec is dicey.

thank you all for your help. I'm using WIN7 X64 Enterprise. The BIOS is up-to-date (always flash BIOS because of performance issues).

Archived