Seagate's upcoming 3TB drives will need new motherboards

nsane.forums

nsane.forums

business-brief.png

2.1 TB of storage ought to be enough for anybody. At least, that's what IBM and Microsoft must have been thinking when they set the maximum supported size drive of the venerable Logical Block Addressing (LBA) standard that's now embedded in motherboards, RAID drivers and firmware, and operating systems across all segments of the PC industry. So when Seagate confirmed longstanding rumors that the drivemaker is prepping a 3TB drive for the end of the year, it also had to give a number of caveats along with the news.

"Nobody expected back in 1980 when they set the standard that we’d ever address over 2.1TB," Seagate's Barbara Craig told Thinq. That was the year that IBM introduced the world's first gigabyte drive at a retail price of $40,000 (about $68,300 in 2009 dollars) and a weight of 550lb; it was also the year that Seagate introduced the first 5.25-inch hard drive for the IBM PC-XT, the 5MB ST-506. Given those data points, it's easy to see how 2.1TB was essentially just an arbitrarily large number of bytes, sort of like "a gazillion."

So if you're in the market for a new system as we head into the summer, you'll want to keep an eye out for hardware that can support the larger drives. And you'll also want to keep an eye out for the next version of our long-delayed System Guide, which we're currently working on.

view.gif View: Original Article

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this also true for external hard drives?

should be base on the docking station or whats in the external. plus you can raid they into a larger harddive so that should mean its workable. the future is ssd anyway, this year/2001 they suppose to finally release sdhc 2 tb chips. to include that it microsd at 2tb afterwards. what that means is 2 tb chips at class 2 at $200 when they come out. that easy means you could place 10 of those chips on a ssd for 20 tbs. there shouldnt be much of a difference in cost. basically going to sink the $2000 ssd 1 tb crap they have right now.

hopfully everyone gets one board for easy money. and not drag it out with each little gb update

PsychoticxBloodxLust

Is this also true for external hard drives?

should be base on the docking station or whats in the external. plus you can raid they into a larger harddive so that should mean its workable. the future is ssd anyway, this year/2001 they suppose to finally release sdhc 2 tb chips. to include that it microsd at 2tb afterwards. what that means is 2 tb chips at class 2 at $200 when they come out. that easy means you could place 10 of those chips on a ssd for 20 tbs. there shouldnt be much of a difference in cost. basically going to sink the $2000 ssd 1 tb crap they have right now.

hopfully everyone gets one board for easy money. and not drag it out with each little gb update

SSD really are the future and to be honest many have already adopted them they are perfect for laptops do to moving parts so no worries about hard drive shock. and the read write speeds are amazing.

It won't be till i graduate next year from college i build a new system but i'm by that point all the buck are worked out and firmware is stable

SSD really are the future and to be honest many have already adopted them they are perfect for laptops do to moving parts so no worries about hard drive shock. and the read write speeds are amazing.

It won't be till i graduate next year from college i build a new system but i'm by that point all the buck are worked out and firmware is stable

the small size is the problem right now. with what i said about 2tb sd ships this problem should be fixed

Archived