Quick question regarding dodgy PSU's

d3v

Hey all.

I'm in the process of putting together a PC for my mum and I'm missing a PSU. I have 6 in the store room, but I have a strong suspicion that all 6 are dead. Is it potentially dangerous to the new build if I test the PSU's on them? Could the motherboard recieve a power surge, for example?

I want to be 100% sure before I go ahead and test all 6 PSU's in hope of finding a working one.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 3
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all.

I'm in the process of putting together a PC for my mum and I'm missing a PSU. I have 6 in the store room, but I have a strong suspicion that all 6 are dead. Is it potentially dangerous to the new build if I test the PSU's on them? Could the motherboard recieve a power surge, for example?

I want to be 100% sure before I go ahead and test all 6 PSU's in hope of finding a working one.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on how dead?

I would test it, but it might turn out long and frutless process as to be sure evrything works everything needs to be run in full and crashes are possible

I would get live CD (IE old gOS or Knopix) and try them one by one,. Just another quick reminder- do not plug anything fancy or unnecessary before you'd get proper first boot

hey lol I just used the method shown in this video and lo and behold it worked and now I've got a fully working PC for my mum!

Putting windows 7 on as we speak!

hey lol I just used the method shown in this video and lo and behold it worked and now I've got a fully working PC for my mum!

Putting windows 7 on as we speak!

Good way to test weather main power supply turns on, but other feeds get activated differently. ANW is it all still well?

Archived