Have you heard of BOLLYWOOD?

Guest MPAA_agent

How many Bollywood movies(Indian movies) have you seen?? PLEASE READ THE POST BELOW B4 TAKING THE POLL.  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How many Bollywood movies(Indian movies) have you seen?? PLEASE READ THE POST BELOW B4 TAKING THE POLL.

• Never heard of it
    • None but i've heard about Bollywood
    • Under 5(Just Started!)
    • 5-20 (i m hooked!)
    • 20-50(Advanced Viewer!)
    • 50-100( Its my dope!)
    • Uncountable(Cant get enough!!)
    • Now that i know, i'll watch it(*Please read BELOW b4 takin the poll)

Guest MPAA_agent

hey all you Americans out there....u think that Hollywood is the movie capital of the world....think again that title belongs to Bollywood....the INDIAN movie industry.... ;)....here's an article from http://geography.about.com/od/culturalgeog...a/bollywood.htm (no need to go there, u can read it all below!)

so read on....and you'll know! (PLZ read as much as you can, i know its a long article!)

"Bollywood

From Matt Rosenberg,

The world's movie capital is not Hollywood but Bollywood. Bollywood is the nickname for the Indian film industry located in Bombay (now known as Mumbai, though Mollywood hasn't quite caught on.)

Indians are in love with movies, even though most films follow a similar format called masala (the word for a collection of spices). Movies are three to four hours long (and include an intermission), include dozens of songs and dances (featuring 100 or so choreographed dancers), top stars, the story between the songs of boy meets girl (without any kissing or sexual contact), lots of action (though no bloodshed), and always - a happy ending.

Fourteen million Indians go to the movies on a daily basis (about 1.4% of the population of 1 billion) and pay the equivalent to the average Indian's day's wages (US $1-3) to see any of the over 800 films churned out by Bollywood each year. That's more than double the number of feature films produced in the United States.

Although American-made films have been edging into India, only the blockbuster Titanic has ever made India's top five list. One hundred and fifty U.S. films arrived in India in 1998. However, Indian films have become somewhat of an international obsession.

Bollywood films are being shown in American and British theaters on a more and more frequent basis. These theaters have become community foci for the South Asian communities around the world. Though separated by a vast distance from home, South Asians have found Bollywood films to be a great way of staying in touch with their culture and their fellow South Asians.

Since India is a country of sixteen official languages and a total of twenty-four languages spoken by over a million people each, some portions of the film industry are fragmented. While Mumbai (Bollywood) leads India in film production, its specialty lies with Hindi movies. Chennai (formerly Madras) produces films in Tamil and Kolkata (formerly Calcutta) is the Bengali movie capital. Neighboring Pakistan's Lahore calls itself Lollywood.

Bollywood's film production center is a government-owned studio facility known as "Film City" in the northern suburbs of Mumbai. Bollywood traces its start to 1911 when the first silent Indian feature film was released by D.P. Phalke. The industry boomed and today there are over 250 theaters in Mumbai alone.

The stars of Bollywood are very popular and highly paid, considering the budget of the films. The lead star in a film often receives as much as 40% of the US $2 million budget for the typical masala film. Stars may be in such high demand that they're working on ten films at once. Photographs of Bollywood stars grace shop windows and homes throughout the country.

Providing three to four hours of escapism is the primary objective of Bollywood and it's a recipe done well. Indian movies are becoming more and more popular around the world so watch for them in theaters and video stores near you."

For any of you who watch tv talk shows like Late Show, 60 mins, GMA or Oprah Winfrey....u might have seen the episodes that featured the no. 1 Bollywood actress AISHWARYA RAI.....and if you r still not convinced just wait a few years and you would see Bollywood reaching out to you.......at a cinema near you!

PS:Cant find any theatres showing Bollywood movies?/Cant find them at a video store near you? Post here maybe i can help.....:rolleyes:

• Replies 9
  • Views 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I choose Uncountable(Cant get enough!!)

bcoze nowadays good movies are comming out ....

anyway I couldnt have choosen any other option apart from that Isnt it ?

Rudeboy2025

I put 5-20 but I'm not really hooked because I used to watch a lot before I moved to America. The last I saw was Main Hoon Na.

If any1 wants to check out Aishwarya Rai....

She would be on Opera Show this Sunday at 8:30 PM

aishwaryarai7hd.jpg

Guest MPAA_agent

aishwaryarai7hd.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:unsure:

hey thanks zeus!! yeah maybe that will persuade someone to look a little more closer and maybe we'll get more replies on this thread. :huh:

aishwaryarai7hd.jpg

OOps :think: Forgot to mention where

Its on Star World 20:30 IST OPRAH WINFREY SHOW

Yea I watch a lot of Bollywood movies as I am an Indian.... It would make sense. So Yea.

PS

Aishwarya Rai is oooooo weeeee

Aishwarya Rai was supposedly in talks to be the next Bond girl.

I don't think she got it though as it's not stated in upcoming films on IMDB. I remember reading this in a magazine over here in the UK. She wanted to do it if I remember correctly ;)

• 4 years later...
  • Administrator

So it means you don't know anythin about bollywood.

Archived