Weird harddrive locking issue

d3v

Hi all.

Customer just gave me a laptop to fix. It would POST fine, but lockup at the Windows loading screen so naturally the first thing I tried was Vista startup repair but that also locked up while loading. Now it get's weirder...

I tried to boot to Vista repair boot CD but that again locked up before fully loading.

It's the same story with Hirens's boot CD and Ultimate Boot CD.

Very weird.

I removed the harddrive from the Vaio Sony laptop and plugged it in to my laptop via a SATA to USB converter cable and it would not show up in my computer nor Windows Disk Manager, even after several reboots. Infact there is almost continuous harddrive activity with a small 20 second rest with every 4 minutes or so of activity. I know this becuase my SATA to USB converter has a useful harddrive activity LED that lights red for activity and green for idle.

I did manage to boot to UBCD4WIN and use a quick harddrive health testing tool which passed with no problems and the harddrive sounds very healthy to the ear... no clicking or abnormalities.

Harddrive is a 2.5" TOSHIBA MK2546GSX

please advise!

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would advise u to boot live Linux CD (IE knopix or gParted live CD) and check then

Also in my recent experiences I had enormous difficulties to get by when SATA Drivers do not load... shame/failure of Win7 and the only way to go about it is to get the drivers in accordance to hardware and install them on operating OS

I'm running Knoppix live CD right now and I've tried mounting the drive and after a minute waiting I just get this error messege.

sdc10704a.jpg

I havn't got a desktop PC to slave the drive in to, so anyone got any other suggestions? Can anyone draw anything from that error messege?

I'm gonna see if I can run a chekdsk /f on the bad drive now.

Cheers.

Clear HDD failure!

Try complete drive erasing(IE Kill Disk Free), then checking over again

k chkdsk started but hung at 6% for an hour so now I'm trying a data recovery with testdisk and like always it's working a treat :)

fixed the problem. used a combination of fdisk and formatting it.

Win 7 is now installed and working great.

That disk probably has a bad sector. Formatting the disk just hided that sector. You should tell your customer that hard drive could fail. Also, you should try to repair that sector with HDD Regenerator. Many people would say as soon as 1 bad sector appears that's the end of the hard disk. Well, I disagree. When got my 500GB disk, after 2-3 months of use 1 bad sector appeared. I fixed it with HDD Regenerator. I have that disk almost two years now, and it works perfectly.

Cheers ;)

shit yes your right I should indeed of ran such a program. that was a silly oversight on my part. Well if she phones up again I'll know exactly why and fix it for free.

Archived