New Car Stereo

DoLFaN

I've been posting this at a few places, so if this is redundant to you just understand I'm pretty desperate here.

Okay, so my Kenwood just stopped working like 3 weeks ago. I've been searching and researching new ones and I'm just getting frustrated. So I need some help on deciding what to get.

I want a good car stereo head unit. Nothing shitty. I have a 1995 BMW 525i, if that gives anyone an idea on how good my speakers (still stock) are.

It needs to play cd-rw/mp3, and be able to connect an iPod (either out of the box or through an extra cable I have to get). I would like it to also have good pre-set's for sound, loudness, mute, fade, etc etc all that good stuff that a good car radio should have to be deemed quality. It doesn't need to be satellite ready, if taking that out would help prices or w/e.

If it helps at all, I had a 2 year old Kenwood (don't remember the model) and I thought is sounded fine for my car. So if all car radios will have the same or better sound quality than a Kenwood would 2 years ago, then I guess I am set.

I've looked into the front panel USB and Auxiliary input stuff. I loaded my iPod's physical hard drive (as in i put music folders on the hard drive using the iPod as an external HDD) with a few music folders, and had my iPod stocked with songs regularly using the iPod's OS. I then went to my local Best Buy and plugged my iPod into the front USB interface of the JVC KD-G720 and KD-G820. Folders physically on the external hdd came up when selecting folders, and all the songs played fine and in order. However, all the remaining "folders" on the JVC's were simply numbered (as normal) and filled with songs that were on the iPod's normal hard drive. It was strange though, the songs had no form of organization. Not in any type of order, and songs were just random.

I haven't tried plugging my iPod into a receiver that has a front Auxiliary input because I don't have the proper plug-to-plug headphone cord. I feel like it's the most economical way to go because there are some cheep systems with this and I wouldn't have to buy an iPod adapter...and I could use ANY MP3 player, and not just iPods this way. I asked the guy at Best Buy (which isn't reliable because they all told me hooking up an iPod to the JVC's via USB wouldn't work, and I was happy to stand there in front of them and prove them wrong) and they said Audio Quality is noticeably less. IF this is true, then i want to stay away from this at all costs. I must have good sound in my car. It doesn't need to be spectacular (I mean, I am limited to my 1995 stock car speakers, albeit being BMW) but it cannot be bad. If this isn't true, then hey...this sounds like the way to go.

Sooooo, yea, help!!!!!! I know this post was long, but I figure the more info out there the best for everyone.

• Replies 6
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my experience, Blaupunkt seem to make some of the most reliable players.

Have you tried looking on eBay? There's loads of new players on there at a decent price... much lower than you would get on the high street.

This looks pretty decent. Brand new. Bidding is around $22 with 9 hours left to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLAUPUNKT-M...sspagenameZWDVW

This one looks even better, with many presets. Bidding is currently arround $47 with just over 1 day to go. The seller also has 100% positive feedback which is a bonus. I would seriously think about this one out of the two. The other stereo's are higher in price... but as you didn't state how much you're willing to pay I decided to go for the best all-rounders.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BLAUPUNKT-MP33-CD-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps,

Sam :P

Thanks for the help, Sam.

I don't really need help finding units with cheep prices, I'm more concerned with find a good unit....and then looking for cheep prices.

Thanks tho!

hey Dolfan, a buddy of mine bought this.

this deck (based on me playing with it, not looking at its features on the website) seems to be really good to me, I would buy it for my car if I had the money.

Pioneer has never steered me wrong in the past.

I've been looking and asking around and it does look like Pioneer or Alpine is the way to go. Also I found out that Male to Male Auxiliary cords don't suck cock, but can have interference problems with power, which is an issue because my iPod playing the tunes will be connected to a car charger. I triedthis out last night with some shitty $10 speaker I bought last night and I could hear the interference. So now I'm kind of stuck.....

hmmmmmmmmm

I've been looking and asking around and it does look like Pioneer or Alpine is the way to go. Also I found out that Male to Male Auxiliary cords don't suck cock, but can have interference problems with power, which is an issue because my iPod playing the tunes will be connected to a car charger. I triedthis out last night with some shitty $10 speaker I bought last night and I could hear the interference. So now I'm kind of stuck.....

hmmmmmmmmm

ive never heard about power interference before, maybe the shitty speaker is the problem??did you learn of this power interference prob. yourself?, ive found out that you can only truly trust something that youve discovered yourself, or a professional such as an installer as far as car audio goes, try going to your local futureshop, or bestbuy (or your car audio store you like) and asking them about what can be done, if you havent already.

Note: if you opt to go to your electronics store, i wouldnt suggest talking to a sales rep. sometimes they will offer good advice, but because they are sales reps because they usually dont know much about it, they are just placed in the department, and 2. they will just try to sell you something because thats their job.

I found out through people I actually know and from recent experience with the speaker.

But here is some good news. I managed to somehow fix my car radio! WOOHOO!!!! I bought the Kenwood CA-C2AX off of e-bay. its an adapter that plugs into theback and at the other end is a 3.5mm Aux plug. So now i'm set.

Thanks for everyone's help though!

Archived