Issue with Opening Folder

KotaXor

Hi all,

Hope someone can assist.

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 32bits.

Recently, I am encountering a minor problem with opening some folder.

I had downloaded a particular folder using torrent, When opening the folder, Windows Explorer's error appear "Windows Explorer encounter some problem".

Windows Explorer will shut-down and restarts.

The same thing happen again when I tried to open the same folder again. (Its a movie folder which contains some .mkv files).

I have done check disk and scannow but to no avail.

It seem that deleting the folder is the only option.

Using Anti-spyware and Anti-virus also does not detect anything.

Wondering what may be causing this?

• Replies 10
  • Views 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

This had happened to me once, it was because the file inside it was corrupted or something. I don't remember how I solved it. :think: You can try Unlocker on the folder. Disable the security software that might try to scan the folder as soon as you open it. Or try to open it in safe mode.

Just renaming that file to a shorter name will calm down your 'Explorer' after a reboot. Post back if your 'Explorer' restricts you from renaming the file (I have a trick up my sleeve.) ;)

I'd try to access in a DOS box.

I'll even try to move files to another location.

I guess it's shell extension related, for example, one DLL trying to get video properties or something similar. Expand that error message and try to see if it's caused by only one library.

Win7 its trying to make thumbnails for the video and crashes.

Try this: http://www.recipester.org/Recipe:Disable_Thumbnail_Previews_in_Windows_7_38015613

The reason that Windows fails to be able to create the thumbnails is you have missing video codecs and Windows can't access a preview.

Solution install Win7codes or disable thumbnails and use icons instead in your folder options.

Thanks. :sneaky:

I am using K-lite codec....so it should not be an issue.

Tried opening it in XP with K-lite codec pack without problem.

Can even view the movie (.mkv) without issue....so it should only be due to Windows 7.

I can't even rename it in 7, but after renaming it in XP....it also can't be open in 7..keep getting the same error.(Windows explorer is shutting down).

On another pc with 7, the folder open fine....but the moment I double click on the mkv file, the screen turn black..audio can be heard for a while..after that the computer crash.

Upon reboot, its ok..but I did not try to open the file again.

I am going to try Waka method and see how it goes....

Waka method works....I can open the .mkv video without problem.

Thanks for the tip.

But why does it happen? Is it because of codec? doesn't k-lite support mkv?

Even when I used Win7codes...the same issue happen again.

Need to disable Thumbnail again...so it is unlikely due to codec.

But why?

I can't even rename it in 7, but after renaming it in XP....it also can't be open in 7..keep getting the same error.(Windows explorer is shutting down).

I've experienced this issue only in Windows Se7en, never in XP. It's caused by a long file name and/or unusual file name characters. There's a trick with which one can rename the file in the affected Windows Se7en environment (without disabling thumb-nails.)

All is fine now...it seem CoreAVC is causing the crashes.

I install DivX Pro and re-install K-lite and everything is fine even when I enable thumbnail.

Thanks for all the info especially to Waka...managed to narrow down the fault and finally found the fault.

Archived