Gatway MX8716b Laptop issues

Atasas

Hi guys!

Got this lappy, initially with windows vista Home premium, developed Vista problem- was not rebooting (update error, that PC kept restarting, but not booting in to OS...)

I've extracted what's important from HDD.

So I've tried to install Win7 and kept getting frozen off @ a point of entering user details...and some other points of insalling/rebooting.

With install of WinXP it started to do the same, only booting up through after few restarts. However it goes to death screen again

Clearly issue of SATA drivers?- well I got to BIOS to set driver change from "RAID Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA", There is no access in BIOS to do that!

SATA: Fujitsu MHW2120bh-(S1) Can access date etc, but to get hardware listed There is some different short-cut @ the boot? (PhoenixBIOS Version 72.15)

There has been solution for vista's (ultimate x64 and x86)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Exit all Windows-based programs.

Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

Since running updates on any Vista it kept crashing @ the reboot

Thanks to Jalaffa and my friend Trying to install Vista SP2 Ult... installing features for about 1,5 hr already- clear failure again

What would Vista had, that Vista SP2 doesn't?

Linux (google OS) run like a dream of CD, installed no probs- everything is pointing out to a Windows and Gateway components (Fujitsu in this case) compatibility! not even hardware failure of any sort...

So the question I would have: How much bigger probability is that SATA controller Chip is failing? (mind you Google OS had no errors); or is it simply HDD failure?; or is it simpler even Gateway component misconfiguration and windows drivers are not of ability to perform correctly?

BTW:

Customer (XXXX XXXX) - 05/01/2010 12:52 PM

1- Laptop serial dont get recognised by your system

2- after cataclysmic crash I can not obtain: BIOS for flashing; Drivers for other OS (intending to install windows 7 using F to load driver for SATA Fujitsu Hdd)

I'd like to request Phoenix Bios 72.15 and appropriate page for drivers please

Response:

Response (XXX XXX) - 05/01/2010 01:14 PM

Dear XXX XXXX,

Thank you for contacting Gateway. Ill be happy to assist you.

I understand that you want BIOS and drivers for your system.

We have verified your product serial number and it shows that your product is out of warranty.

I would like to inform you that BIOS for your laptop is not available to be downloaded and since Gateway does not support Windows 7 on this, we do not have Windows 7 compatible drivers for the same.

In order to resolve this issue, we can pull your computer for depot repair. However since your computer is out of warranty, we are extremely sorry to tell that Gateway cannot give warranty advantages. That means you will have to pay for the service and parts replaced. The cost for repairs will be 199$ USD. Please note that you have to pay one-way shipping charge for making a depot repair.

With your confirmation we may proceed further with the repair.

For further clarifications please feel free to visit our web site http://support.gateway.com/

Have a great day

Thanks for fast response, but even drivers for Vista where not possible to find... Is there any reason as why there is no PhoenixBios 72.15 to download? the way laptop is configured is beyond poor and SATA as well as Mass storage device is configured appallingly, so I believe it would be more than sensible to provide me with some minor help with downloads, in order to try to repair it myself. BIOS is something that so far I have had no problem to obtain for any other manufacturer, however as it is specific to each machine- I would wander for a way to obtain it. Sending and repairing this laptop @ such costs is not sensible. Alternatively, would you be able to provide motherboard specifications as for components used- I shall try my best to locate Drivers at least.

Many thanks!

Dear XXXX XXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Gateway. Ill be happy to assist you.

I understand that you want BIOS and drivers for your system.

We have verified your product serial number and it shows that your product is out of warranty.

I would like to inform you that BIOS for your laptop is not available to be downloaded and since Gateway does not support Windows 7 on this, we do not have Windows 7 compatible drivers for the same.

In order to resolve this issue, we can pull your computer for depot repair. However since your computer is out of warranty, we are extremely sorry to tell that Gateway cannot give warranty advantages. That means you will have to pay for the service and parts replaced. The cost for repairs will be 199$ USD. Please note that you have to pay one-way shipping charge for making a depot repair.

With your confirmation we may proceed further with the repair.

For further clarifications please feel free to visit our web site http://support.gateway.com/

Have a great day

And another two more(rather harsher ones by me) unanswered...

found "some" drivers hell knows where from

f_e11uk6x9m_223a217.jpg like this one... well after burning CD it doesn't work

DEEP breath and a questions:

what is wrong with this garbage?

Anyone would be able to Modify my BIOS for Win 7 Support? or guide me to a way in retrieving BIOS without working OS in a first place?

Thanks for help and sorry for such messy beginning!

Here's some useless $rap from Gateway

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?ref=step&st=browse&platform=10022&model=11375&os=&type=&mfg=&bios=&ext=1

Can Somebody change title to gateway? thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

LOL. Your lappy is out of warantee. You'll have to pay $199USD to get help from us. :P

You cannot even change the sata mode to IDE? Normally, many of the BIOSs have a hidden area that on only be accessed via pressing a key combination at the main BIOS page. My old PC had CTRL + F1.

Any manual for your lappy?

ha ha- very funny :frusty:

this garbage belongs to friends friend, but I have to get it going (long story)

Manual- no (nor any sensible support from Gateway)

Access BIOs is F2 , but you only see few things- everything is protected/un' accessible

DK- here is your payment :bag:

BTW reinstalling Vista Ult x86 (no SP) and see what else I will be able to do, befor installing SP's- crashing bugger again.. Should be able to extract BIOS then if anyone is in to coding and would be able to help

Update:

Vista x86 running- nothing installed, trying SP1 now...

... BSOD's @ the startup (after SP1 "successfully" installed) :frusty:

have gone back(using DVD) and reinstalled...

update:

as much as I hate Vista- SP1 has gone through (after running stand alone installer, after being able to find and install most of the drivers from Gateway and using SIW)

Soon I'll find out, weather another day in front of bugger will be of any use

OK then, after finding out funny ways to install OS I have installed Vista (no sp) Home premium and kept updating etc untill last night I finished installing everything and run Defrag... took 3hrs, but finished and all semmed to be ok, until I started her this morning and I kept having message "Windows explorer had an error and is restarting"; then it went to say "windows system files failed to load"

Managed to get back to Task manager and run CHKDSK @ about 64% it just exited....

Restart- another BSOD

Restart- CHKSDK run itself again- results:

f_vp9i4m_7e95562.jpg

f_vp9i5m_e354651.jpg

f_vp9i6m_cfb784d.jpg

and another BSOD again

f_cta6m_f553204.jpg

The question I do have still weather it is really HDD or as I suspect Southern chip on mobo had passed away and giving me false readings and analysis?

mind you I to reinstall Mass storage device zilion times as it kept giving me some errors, then SAT AHCI drivers too, sometimes USB ports are as slow as anything for data transfer and Graphics controller driver had to be reinstalled @ least 50 times (in total it had trully and honestly- 15 different OS's on it, attempted/installed by me)

????????????

Attempting another system file repair....

This is what I can find : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Did any changes in BIOS?

She's up and running another defrag now

^^

Few times, but since I had cleaned and got load of updates and SP2 through

Regarding Regedit patch- Doing it almost every 3 reboot...as well as reinstalling Drivers :frusty:

Will post back if she reboots or not later (appeared to be having load of fragmentation stilll) used Defragler- now Raxco PD11

• Administrator

Can't you just switch the Raid mode to IDE in BIOS? It's really odd to see defraging is solving your problem. :blink:

Do you have hiren's bootcd?

Can't you just switch the Raid mode to IDE in BIOS? It's really odd to see defraging is solving your problem. :blink:

Do you have hiren's bootcd?

Not in default mode, nor there is shortcut for advanced options

Do have, but run previously Disk check with it only.

BTW Raid configuration isn't the one to blame as errors coming relating to USB management and Mass storage +hell knows what- it is pointing out South chip occasional failure. Plus I did Health checks and driver updates etc- whilst it is running OK- cant see anything wrong, but just occasionally @ boot it does not function and that kicks all sort or "errors", but not a single initial true cause. everything re'sets itself to default ATA not ACHI settings- BSOD...

Just trying to your brains+ experience in such issues

BTW system file errors do acute due to system file accessibility problems and so this is the way to confirm only, that HDD tested previously many different ways) is really not the guilty bit

Archived