Symantec Antivirus Corporate from 2002

Jota.Ce

In my jobplace, there's an ultraold version of Symantec AntiVirus Corporate (2001 or 2002). A kind of regional government pays us the license to get definitions each day, so we don't really know the serial number and we don't pay anything.

I think we are getting many infections due to its very very old engine and total absence of heuristics. And incompetent people behind PenDrives.

- Is it possible to retrieve license number ??? Jellybean Keyfinder doesn't extract it.

- Is it possible to get that program version (2002) today? We have new computers and the IT "administrator" bought Panda (¬¬) cause she didn't know how to use our Symantec Avir on them.

- Is it possible to use that license number with a more modern product ??? Not too modern, they're P4 2.0 GHz.

- Is it possible to get any additional proteccion (a different product with an included firewall) with that license ???

We are thinking in buying new computers for a classroom and licenses are too expensive IMO.

All solutions have to be "legal" at Symantec eyes and Spanish language versions: It's not for me, but for an official education place.

• Replies 5
  • Views 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LeetPirate

Official education place should qualify for some sort of discount. Contact symantec directly and tell them your situation and ask them for an upgrade discount on Symantec Endpoint Protection. Also ask if they have educational license. You should give them a call and try to work something out. I have used symantec endpoint already, it is light on resources. I had some trouble with the 64bit edition but the 32bit version is good. The engine is up to date and everything.

Forgot to mention, Symantec corporate and endpoint does not use any serials so that's why you could not extract any with magic jelly bean. Technically speaking you could download endpoint protection and run it without any keys or licenses but in your case with a government place the legal thing to do is pay for it. You will also get the server program to manage all the client installations and handle updates.

You could also get your people to buy nod32 business edition with remote administrator. ;)

My company uses Symantec AV Corporate too, no serial is needed, just installed from disk.

Its one hell of an irritating AV....never like it.

Endpoint....never like it too....irritating too, but that is my opinion.

Oh, please, i have to make you realize...

- We usually received regional funds, but that situation was cut suddenly time ago in the past. That's why we have P4@2GHz.

- We have about 30-40 computers, and licenses will be in 500-1000 eur band.

- The solution should be legal, so symantec-oriented, cause regional government pays for that.

But now that you say... if you can use Corporate without license number... is it possible that regional gov. paid for it years ago, but didn't renew its license ??? We receive daily definition updates, but if there's no need to enter a license... that should be normal situation.

I can't contact Symantec, since i'm not a person of the government who can decide/negotiate, but only a teacher. But i'd like to have same security in all computers... and i don't know if Endpoint is very appropiate for those old computers. I had SEP Enterprise in an Athlon XP 3200+ and it takes too much time to boot (but system itself was quite fast). I haven't evaluated SEP Small Business though. Anyway, if regional government is paying for it (i don't really know), i can't talk in their name to Symantec and i don't have any data to confirm we have SAC legally.

We are paying for 3 licenses of Panda, and installing it on ~ 10 computers, but IT admin would like to be legal. We refer to her as IT admin, but it's only a teacher with 2hour/week assignation to take care of computers, we don't need professional tools as a server.

Should we move to Avast Free! on new computers ? Does Avast send you 10 free licenses to one mail account ?

PS: How does Symantec detect if you have a legitimate Corporate product or you have obtained it from another ways ??? Thousands of people could have a "free" security solution instead of paying...

LeetPirate

Symantec does not bother to check for legitimate product if you install endpoint as a standalone client. They probably check when you want to use the main server management software to receive central updates. To be honest I don't think they check anything because I have seen endpoint full release for download inclusive of the server management software.

You could use avast free edition, it is super fast and light on resources. The only problem is each installation is standalone client which means each computer has to download the same updates through the internet every time. A waste of internet bandwidth if that is a problem. With a business suite like endpoint you can configure only 1 server with the symantec management software to download updates then each computer on your network contacts that main server for updates so it only downloads updates from the internet once and the rest is local bandwidth.

I strongly do not recommend Panda though. You are better off using that same money to buy a bulk license for nod32 or avast. avast is fast out of the box, no special configuration needed.

I have Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.6000.550 if you want to try it out you can let me know.

No, thanks.

"I had SEP Enterprise in an Athlon XP 3200+ and it takes too much time to boot (but system itself was quite fast). I haven't evaluated SEP Small Business though."

I think our SAC clients are updating individually, not centered in any server.

... and i've seen About box in SAC... it's copyrighted in 2000 !!! We are running ancient P4, but our security technology is older than sun itself !!!

Our IT admin doesn't want to buy anything more, but if she has to decide, she'll renew Panda cause it's installed on 12-15 computers with only 3 licenses (so it isn't so legal at the end xD).

Well, i won't decide anything then. But if we buy new computers... i'd like to have same solution for all. We'll end installing NOD32 v2.7 (ancient P4s) xDDDDDDDDDD

Archived