WINDOWS 7 X64 or X32 ?

Djurba

Heloo good people ! I need help . I was planing these days to move forward on windows 7 , now I am on XP x32 sp3 , and question should I go on x32 or x64 windows 7 , I have intel dual core e5200 2.5 ghz , 3 gb of RAM , is that enough for windows 7 x64 , or on which version i will get better performance with my hardware . ?

• Replies 28
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I would go with windows 7 x64. Going with x64, renders your computer more safe against some malware due to "patchguard".

I pulled this off another website:

Operating System --------------Minimum requirements------Crucial recommendations*

Microsoft Windows® 7 64-bit-----------2GB-----------------------4GB-8GB

Microsoft Windows® 7 32-bit ----------1GB------------------------4GB

I never really noticed any performance difference between x64 and x86...but eh :)

• Administrator

Normally you need a x64 OS if you have 4GB or more RAM. But as they say, 64bit Windows 7 is more stable and better. You may have problems running one or two drivers. But all the x32 softwares/games/apps will work perfectly on 64bit Windows 7. I myself use Windows 7 x64 and I'm loving it. :)

Most of the modern day computers can run 64bit OS.

158burtonseven

3GB of RAM is the max amount that a 32-bit OS can address. So if you plan on upgrading to 4GB or more of memory then 64-bit is the way to go. On the other hand, some applications will not work on a 64-bit OS, so keep that in mind as well.

I recon 32 bit is still good and will be good for a while, plus so many "fixes" are not designed for 64...

hi Djurba!

I've used both x64 and x86 (32-bit) too on a notebook and on a game-ballanced desktop :)

First i used the 64-bit (t7700 2,4ghz, 4gigs of ram, 250gb@5400rpm hdd and q9400, 4gigs, 500gb@7200rpm...)

After a couple of month both went slow and bootup time has grown a minute or so (recover from hibernate too).

So i changed the notebook to x86 and it runs very smoothly, even if it sees only 3,5gigs of the 4.

And after a crash thanx to the intel ahci driver, i had to reinstall my desktop pc, so i tried if games like 32-bit more or not :)

and i can't complain, it runs as fast as the 64-bit and the bootup time is around 1,5 minutes (compared to the ~2-2,5 minutes for the 64)

and 32-bit needs 2gigs less hd space.

so go for the 32-bit if you have only 4gigs or less ram.

hope i help :rolleyes:

LeetPirate

Most, if not all 32bit apps work fine in Win7 x64. Fixes is another story, guess it depends on the skill of the coder. If you plan to work with graphic creation software that could take more than 2GB of ram then go with 64bit windows. I should add that I've been running 32bit on my own pc since RTM release came out last year. Never had any problems.

3GB of RAM is the max amount that a 32-bit OS can address. So if you plan on upgrading to 4GB or more of memory then 64-bit is the way to go. On the other hand, some applications will not work on a 64-bit OS, so keep that in mind as well.

if you have graphics equal or less than 512mb vram, os sees 3,5gb of ram, because 32-bit OSs can address total amount of 4gb, including graphics ram and other peripherals. So if you have lots of expansion cards, it can be even less, than 3gb :dance2:

Thanks on answers , I think that I gonna move to X32 .

Bad move. Go with x64.

Amateur stays with x86 and bitch. Enthusiast uses x64 and wants more.

- C2D processor has 32-bit architecture wir EMT64 extensions.

- Cix processor is a 64-bit processor.

I'd stick to that.

I don't think a x64 OS is faster than x86 on a C2D (and it should be slower).

And i don't think a 32-bit program is faster on a x64 OS (it also should be slower due to 32-bit "emulation").

So it's clear for me. Ci5/Ci7 with x64 or C2D with x86.

Totally based in what seems to be logic, not in my experience.

Bad move. Go with x64.

Amateur stays with x32 and bitch. Enthusiast uses x64 and wants more.

:lol: :lol: :lol: . I like your argument about this , i think that i will have to think about it . Do you think that 3 gb of ram is enough for x64 without some sort of malfunctions ?

• Administrator

You wont have any problems running a x64 OS with 3GB of RAM.

if you dont plan on adding ram than just do 32bit... there is a slight performance decrease when switching to 64bit. However... if you plan on ever adding ram than just do 64bit now. I personally use 64-bit though.

Cheers mate.

kallejosef

I dont see why you should chose x32.. :s Like mr.box says " Amateur stays with x32 and bitch. Enthusiast uses x64 and wants more.". And the driver-problem thing people allways talk about is just bullshit. Go for X64.

-----------------------------

Edit

Member since 10-june 08 and i have managed 100 posts.. :P yay! but note the fact, i've been on Nsaneforums/nsanedown every day. :)

Both of Windows 7 is just as good. No worry.

As long as you move to Windows 7 from XP, no regret.

Bad move. Go with x64.

Amateur stays with x32 and bitch. Enthusiast uses x64 and wants more.

:lol: :lol: :lol: . I like your argument about this , i think that i will have to think about it . Do you think that 3 gb of ram is enough for x64 without some sort of malfunctions ?

I am running x64 with 2 GB ram and a XPx86 VM on my notebook and no problem yet. I was going to add 2 more GB but no need since the notebook is performing extremely well.

I am running x64 with 2 GB ram and a XPx86 VM on my notebook and no problem yet. I was going to add 2 more GB but no need since the notebook is performing extremely well.

i wouldn't classify myself as an amature, but though you're maybe right, someone will benefit from x64, but that's not me :rolleyes:

i just wrote my experiences, and i don't care if it should be better to use x64, if x86 seems to be better.

And i ran into some limitations with x64 driver compatibility: a quite old scanner needed vuescan to work, because canon didn't write the necessary drivers... but of course i managed it to work

and just for argument's sake: use linux :lol: :lol: :lol:

hi,

i myself just moved to x64 too easy and realized that WoW64 does great job, indeed. most of 32bit apps run smoothly, haven't had any difficulties as of yet.

go get x64 now!

cheers,

i have 4 giga ram , so i upgrade to win7 x 64 , it support all of my ram and run ALL my previous software include games , so why not?

• 2 weeks later...

I have 4gb of RAM but I`m using 32bit as I was worried about compatability issues with my old apps.

• 1 month later...

i'm using x64 also

Running good , i dont have compatibility problems anyway

i have 4 gigs RAM , CPU : core2quad @9950

and windows 7 is working smoothly

Windows 7 x64 is running great on

• my Sony VAIO (Core2 Duo P8400 @ 2.26 GHz) with 4 GB RAM
  • my new Acer Aspire One netbook (SU2300 @ 1.20 GHz dual-core) with 2 GB RAM (but expandable to up to 4 GB)

My Sony VAIO has Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and I have Windows XP Mode on it just in case I need XP-only or 32-bit-only application support, but I don't use it (I only start Windows XP Mode once in a while just to update my ESET antivirus and to run Windows Update :lol:).

Archived