Piggybacking

comandoed

I installed a USB Wireless Network Adaptor on my Desktop PC, disconnected my cabled modem, and

lo and behold I got a dialogue indicating I was connected to a linksys network. I then clicked IE7

and to my surprise I was logged on to the internet. I stayed on for about ten minutes. Later on

I tried to get on the internet again but could not. I got some message that I had only 50% connectivity.

I dont know how I am able to get internet access and how I can improve the connectivity. If I could

improve it I could then cancel my cable subscription.

Can anybody shed light on this issue?

Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd recommend against it. You obviously connected via someone elses unsecure connection. It's not "the done thing" and if caught, you could be liable for prosecution.

I installed a USB Wireless Network Adaptor on my Desktop PC, disconnected my cabled modem, and

lo and behold I got a dialogue indicating I was connected to a linksys network. I then clicked IE7

and to my surprise I was logged on to the internet. I stayed on for about ten minutes. Later on

I tried to get on the internet again but could not. I got some message that I had only 50% connectivity.

I dont know how I am able to get internet access and how I can improve the connectivity. If I could

improve it I could then cancel my cable subscription.

Can anybody shed light on this issue?

Thanks

My soule mate :w00t:

depends what country u are in... in uk- use it, dont abuse it and u should be alright :)

• 5 months later...

1. Open your web browser and input your router's IP address. If you do not know this, refer to your documentation. Default for Linksys products is usually 192.168.1.1, Default for Netgear routers is 192.168.0.1

2. Input your router's username and password. Default for Linksys products is usually username: administrator or (blank) password: admin, Default for Netgear routers is Username: admin password: password. Other default UNs and PWs can be found using google.

3. Go to the wireless tab and check to see if the signal strength is at the max setting, if its not the change it and save the configuration.

• 4 months later...

Archived